Cultivated Reef

Tamberav's 40 Breeder

Tamberav

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 11 months later...

Resurrecting this thread from the DEAD. The tank has changed drastically, my order for a rimless got canceled (for some reason they couldn't get it) so that never happened. I am eyeballing a 80g Deep Blue atm but I need to think on it.

Testing out my new phone's camera and cleaned out my display fuge yesterday. This is the SUMP, its divided length wise with all the filtration hidden in the back.

IMG_20160104_143114_zpsei5ieqqt.jpg

Bucket full of macro I pulled out (pruning!):

IMG_20160104_141421_zpskokkfv6r.jpg

Mama Mai Tai clown:

IMG_20160104_143330_zpsykuvndev.jpg

Her boyfriend, a zig zaggity patterned snowflake I think.

IMG_20160104_143512_zpsjylmf9p7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

As you can see, the tank has very much changed. I had a losing battle with monster flukes (I ended up getting rid of them by using prazipro at 3 times the recommended dose). I had equipment failure when out of town which lead to swing in parameters and temp. The failure lead to a breakout of cyano/dino/GHA/everything, and... at some point I thought about giving up.

But I didn't.... I fought with water changes, chemical media, removing the sand bed, manual removal, blackouts, a new clean up crew, a complete sump clean out, a bigger skimmer, and an urchin....

The tank is almost back to equilibrium, I can see a very small amount of cyano in the sump. I have microbacter and coral snow on the way to try.

The display part is very clean at least, no cyano or algae.

Here are some photos:

IMG_20160126_214405_zps5c7fkyxw.jpg

fts1_zpsxemn24da.jpg

fts2_zps3rvsaeul.jpg

dartfish_zpsn00oxvdk.jpg

blenny_zpsajn19qkw.jpg

I recently celebrated my victory by upgrading the light to a nano-box retro.

IMG_20160116_005315_zpsqbps5r4m.jpg

I am kind of bummed my tuxedo ate all my pretty coraline. I am debating on re-homing him but at the same time, I am sure some algae will show up someday and I'll have to just buy another one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Husband got into med school, woo-hoo. We will be moving in July and taking most of the inhabitants with us. Just bought a nice 75g set up for the new place :)

Pretty colors in there and how exciting for him and for you all with a new tank. I was following for a while then somehow dropped off but I'm on again. What is the yellow on bottom right?

Pretty colors in there and how exciting for him and for you all with a new tank. I was following for a while then somehow dropped off but I'm on again. What is the yellow on bottom right?

Probably me who dropped off :)

They are yellow polyps which are technically a colonial anemone I think.

Here is a pic of the setup I bought:

TCMASgallery_zpsr23yladc.jpg

75g1_zpsjaxjqiat.jpg

I should be able to use all of my current equipment on the 40B except the MP10's which would be too weak. My lights, skimmer, return pump, ect are all over-sized.

The canopy will probably be a love/hate relationship. It does open up in front for feeding, ect and the top of it is open so I can just hang my light and use the canopy to hide light spill.... it has a fan system built into it too.... I'm just so used to sticking my hands in the tank willy nilly :P

That would be hard for me to not put my hands in here or there that easily. It looks really nice though, and big!

pewpewkittah

Tank is looking good. I like the bare bottom look. I can't imagine how hard it is to keep clean though. What's the blue fish in your fuge?

• 2 months later...

I am in the process of taking down this 40B tonight to prep for the move and upgrade. All the fish/corals ect are going into two 20g holding tanks.

Decided a new start deserved a new thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/374078-tamberavs-75g-reef-build/

That would be hard for me to not put my hands in here or there that easily. It looks really nice though, and big!

I finally saw it in person... The whole top lifts up in a way I think I can get into it easy as long as I have a way to easily lift the lights, not sure if I will use the canopy or not. I want the access to be easy so we'll see what I can rig up.

Tank is looking good. I like the bare bottom look. I can't imagine how hard it is to keep clean though. What's the blue fish in your fuge?

That is a starkii damsel, bare bottom and sand are both kind of a PITA. I love sand though so going to give it a shot again in the upgrade.

Archived