Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tamberav's 40 Breeder

Tamberav

Tarte, the tuxedo I got is busy eating coralline. I put her on a tuft of GHA and she walked off. Fume fume fume.

I'm going to try a peroxide, baking soda and glycerin goo on the patches next. I tried Xanthan gum a couple of days ago ad that didn't work too well.

The majanos are for the pico which I've entered in a contest on another forum.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are those red Blennies trainable? They have some at the lfs...

lol train to eat frozen? Yeah, they are but your experiences may vary.

Tarte, the tuxedo I got is busy eating coralline. I put her on a tuft of GHA and she walked off. Fume fume fume.

I'm going to try a peroxide, baking soda and glycerin goo on the patches next. I tried Xanthan gum a couple of days ago ad that didn't work too well.

The majanos are for the pico which I've entered in a contest on another forum.

lol, oh jeeze. I put mine on a hair algae bearded infested rock and within a month he had it all gone. As soon as I removed him, it grew back (was leeching phosphates). There wasn't any Coraline to eat though, so maybe coralline tastes like candy. He doesn't want to eat his salad when he's got a candy bar!

Yup. They sit, shake paw, and roll over play dead on command. :flower:

:lol:

So I had written this guy off for dead but he decided to show back up and park his butt front and center. He has been sifting sand and ate a bunch of snail eggs off the glass.

iFU3Drp0xgHIp.jpg

Bundoon fang blenny, my 2nd try at one. My 1st one always seemed to have "failure to thrive", he was just always sluggish and faded. Then he got himself stung by the nem and I thought he was dead and picked his body up and he bit me. I had too pin holes that bled but there wasn't any pain or "bee sting" like rumored. I didn't feel anything other than an initial pinch. They aren't aggressive though and won't bite unless you go man handling them. That one passed away after the sting.

Anyways, this one seems more lively.

iJlZVwnJLEhKA.jpg

New bubble tip, about an inch across. It is the color of yellow, green, and orange/pink highlighters. Not sure if this is its true color or what gives. It looks white-ish in the pic but the body part is entirely yellow. It came from BlueZoo (had a credit there) so I wouldn't think it would be bleached. I don't think I've seen one like this before. I haven't seen it under actnics yet.

iHQV3KLY1Bml3.jpg

My husband decided he may go to a med school out of state. Maybe as far as CA. Until he knows for certain, I probably won't be adding anymore new fish additions unless I buy them locally and cheap. The less fish to move across the country or sell, the better. Coral is usually easy to re-home though.

I loved my Rainsford goby, probably my most favorite fish that I have had in my tank. Sadly it faded into the rock work never to be seen again. Is that a Rainsford or a Court Jester? I'm to lazy to fire up the googles haha.

Rainsford gobies are so cute. They love blue-green filamentous algae.

The blenny is gorgeous!!! Is he eating or do other fish chase him away? The midas I got from live aquaria was pathetically skinny, ugh, how do they ship such fish. It took a lot of work to fatten him up especially since Mama Ruby the clownfish hated him. Well Geowge the Blenny bit me too! I yelled at him, after all the times I had saved him from Ruby and this is the thanks I get. Anyway, sadly he jumped, and landed precisely inside the power management compartment of my tank. So it took a couple of days to find him. :(

I loved my Rainsford goby, probably my most favorite fish that I have had in my tank. Sadly it faded into the rock work never to be seen again. Is that a Rainsford or a Court Jester? I'm to lazy to fire up the googles haha.

rainsford

Rainsford gobies are so cute. They love blue-green filamentous algae.

The blenny is gorgeous!!! Is he eating or do other fish chase him away? The midas I got from live aquaria was pathetically skinny, ugh, how do they ship such fish. It took a lot of work to fatten him up especially since Mama Ruby the clownfish hated him. Well Geowge the Blenny bit me too! I yelled at him, after all the times I had saved him from Ruby and this is the thanks I get. Anyway, sadly he jumped, and landed precisely inside the power management compartment of my tank. So it took a couple of days to find him. :(

He eats but hes odd, he likes to wait for it to land on the sand bed and eat it off there. :huh:

I have a midas in the cube, he is a big jerk though. lol

I hear you on the skinny fish. I have lost a few fish just because they were in such poor condition to begin with. Even if you get them eating, damage can be already done :(

This made me giggle...

gKX4C9u.jpg

Looks gorgeous!

If you don't mind my asking, what is your feeding regime for the gorgs?

Reef roids 2x a day... and I feed the fish randomly when I walk by or feel like it several times a day. Once a day, I dump in a LOT of fish food, squirt some in the gorgs direction and leave the pumps off for several hours. When the pumps come back on, all the food laying everywhere gets stirred up and the gorgs go nuts. Sometimes I stir the sand because they love that too.

I use biopellets to keep nitrate acceptable and macroalgae to keep the phosphate acceptable. I feed a lot to keep the mandarins in spawning condition, plus I have NPS. When the clowns get big, hopefully they will spawn as well.

Reef roids 2x a day... and I feed the fish randomly when I walk by or feel like it several times a day. Once a day, I dump in a LOT of fish food, squirt some in the gorgs direction and leave the pumps off for several hours. When the pumps come back on, all the food laying everywhere gets stirred up and the gorgs go nuts. Sometimes I stir the sand because they love that too.

I use biopellets to keep nitrate acceptable and macroalgae to keep the phosphate acceptable. I feed a lot to keep the mandarins in spawning condition, plus I have NPS. When the clowns get big, hopefully they will spawn as well.

Thanks for sharing :)

Polarcollision

Thanks! I was just going to ask how they were to care for. I've got the purple whip gorg, but it is no longer purple--kind of a faded brownish lavender. Not sure what that's about. Anyways, have wanted to try the yellow and red gorgs so it looks like first order of business is to reestablish macroalgae. Do you use a skimmer also?

Ever think about keeping pipefish?

Looks awesome! How much has that clam grown since you first had it in your hex?

no idea, it has a nice white ridge though. It's so huge I can't really notice lol I should have measured it when I took it out of the water /doh

Thanks! I was just going to ask how they were to care for. I've got the purple whip gorg, but it is no longer purple--kind of a faded brownish lavender. Not sure what that's about. Anyways, have wanted to try the yellow and red gorgs so it looks like first order of business is to reestablish macroalgae. Do you use a skimmer also?

Ever think about keeping pipefish?

I do have a over-sized skimmer since I run biopellets. I want a pair of pipefish but we may be moving across the US next spring so trying to hold off so I have less fish to try and sell or move.

Polarcollision

I do have a over-sized skimmer since I run biopellets. I want a pair of pipefish but we may be moving across the US next spring so trying to hold off so I have less fish to try and sell or move.

I imagine that takes an iron will.

SquishyFishy

I've been considering the effort it would take to get a Mandy or the scooter...I so wanna try....but first I think I MUST.............get a bigger tank! Wah!!!!!!!! I promised I would never!!

But all the dragonet threads are so fascinating! I want one, I need one, I'm getting one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been considering the effort it would take to get a Mandy or the scooter...I so wanna try....but first I think I MUST.............get a bigger tank! Wah!!!!!!!! I promised I would never!!

But all the dragonet threads are so fascinating! I want one, I need one, I'm getting one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You could keep one in a nuvo16 probably but I would probably trick it out with lots of filtration so you could overfeed without worry. Reactors, display macro, skimmers, ect.

A lot depends on the mandarin too. I could keep my male spotted mandy in a 5g because he will literally eat out of my hands and I have not yet found a food he won't eat. However, some of my other mandy's are not so easy and they make a huge mess and pick over food and eat slow and send all the food flying everywhere by hovercrafting over it. :rolleyes:

The spotted and scooters are supposed to be easier to feed. This has been the case with mine but I can't say thats its a fact.

Tam, can I pweeze steal your tank? It's so beautiful!

:wub: Are you going to go collect local macro for yours?

Archived