Pod Your Reef

Jacks Big, Wet, Infected Shit-Box....trip to the Clinica

jack1978

Whats the good word today Jack? :)

It was nice here today, almost 80....... got nothing accomplished but had some fun in the sun with the fam :D

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ordered one of them frag rock mag rock thing a ma bobs. Tanks looking nice and fluffy....no algae! I think everything is happier with the LEDs raised up All LPS is big and puffy, some of my rics are bigger, a couple acans have a huge color change going on.

All in all, tank is on it's way to recovery.

Fun in the sun with the fam sounds great! I've been cooped up in the house all day catching up on computer work :angry:

Ordered one of them frag rock mag rock thing a ma bobs. Tanks looking nice and fluffy....no algae! I think everything is happier with the LEDs raised up All LPS is big and puffy, some of my rics are bigger, a couple acans have a huge color change going on.

Fun in the sun with the fam sounds great! I've been cooped up in the house all day catching up on computer work :angry:

Were you able to get a corner rack?? Glad to hear everything is responding good and the algae is gone finally! :)

IME raising the LEDs up higher is a good thing, even with SPS, I like the spread alot better too. IMO I am adequately lighting my entire 40b with 1 light that is rated to only cover like 24-30" x 24", and visually it covers as well, there really isn't the dark edges like I notice with most that run them lower in height. :wacko:

Yeah it was nice to get out and enjoy the nice weather for a bit today. If it makes ya feel any better tho the rest of the week is supposed to be back down in the 40's and 50s again :(

Were you able to get a corner rack?? Glad to hear everything is responding good and the algae is gone finally! :)-No corner rack....just a basic. Should work fine though.......I think. :mellow:

IME raising the LEDs up higher is a good thing, even with SPS, I like the spread alot better too. IMO I am adequately lighting my entire 40b with 1 light that is rated to only cover like 24-30" x 24", and visually it covers as well, there really isn't the dark edges like I notice with most that run them lower in height. :wacko:-I agree, so much nicer. B)

Yeah it was nice to get out and enjoy the nice weather for a bit today. If it makes ya feel any better tho the rest of the week is supposed to be back down in the 40's and 50s again :(-We dropped today a good 15 degrees or so. A little clouded up.

Here's a pic of our new addition.......the ride home about a month ago.

27d63a47-e2ac-48d0-bf23-af9d451349d6.jpg

Yeah the regular one will likely work just fine for ya, I really like mine :)

Here's a pic of our new addition.......the ride home about a month ago.

27d63a47-e2ac-48d0-bf23-af9d451349d6.jpg

Thats a cute pooch right there :) Lookin up at ya like, hey buddy, this sweat shirt isn't gonna matter if I decide to take a piss :haha:

Yeah the regular one will likely work just fine for ya, I really like mine :)

Thats a cute pooch right there :) Lookin up at ya like, hey buddy, this sweat shirt isn't gonna matter if I decide to take a piss :haha:

LMAO! That is EXACTLY what she was trying to tell me......thankfully, it was a dry run. :D

I should be getting that mag rock thing pretty soon.....rescape set for the weekend.

How's things :ninja: going?

:happydance:

LMAO! That is EXACTLY what she was trying to tell me......thankfully, it was a dry run. :D

I should be getting that mag rock thing pretty soon.....rescape set for the weekend.

How's things :ninja: going?

Naw she was really just lookin at ya like, hey I'm gonna :wub: you forever you know that right?? :) lol

Good deal, I'm sure you will like it :) Rescapes can be fun, definitely look forward to seeing what ya do with it!!

Good good good :ninja: Just waiting on a few things, while trying to finish getting the last few things in place but shouldn't be to much longer.... definitely taking longer then I initially planned but I'd rather do it right then rush it ;)

Ok, gonna pick your brain(s) quick. I posted a new thread, but going to ask you folks too. Know of anything cheap that actually works for removing nitrates fairly quickly from a system? It can be a temporary fix, just need something to get them knocked down. I’ve done a 5G water change so far, will do another later tonight, but nitrates continue to climb rather quickly, even with 2xweekly water changes.

Thinking about trying some purigen, and would like to get a media reactor, but $$$. I wonder if bio pellets would work in an old Eheim canister I have...

So, experts here, speak to me! :)

Yeah, some corals and everything other than the xenia seems happy. I’m going to do a series of water changes, 3-5G at a time and see if I can knock it down for now. Tomorrow night I’ll be able to run to town and I’m going to try to pick up some purigen. I’ll toss that and some chemipure in to an old eheim canister I have and plumb that in to the sump… see if that helps any.

Any coral? Cheapest option 100% wter change and really really good cleabing inside rock crevices.

Even with coral that is doable. The main parameters including pH should be atleast pretty close if not spot on tho.

Bio-pellets aren't quick, and I wouldn't run them in a canister that you can't monitor their tumble.

Got around to testing nitrates…. 40+ right now and that is after a 5 gallon water change… blah. Going to try to do a 10G water change later tonight and see how much it helps. I don’t currently have an easy way to do more than 5G at a time as all I have is a 6G bucket I use for mixing new water up. I’ll just shut off my pump and have 1 bucket made up and ready… siphon off 5G and dump it, siphon off another 5 and dump it.. . then toss in the 5G i have made, make another batch and add it and see how things go from there I guess.

Hope Purigen will help… ?

Got around to testing nitrates…. 40+ right now and that is after a 5 gallon water change… blah. Going to try to do a 10G water change later tonight and see how much it helps. I don’t currently have an easy way to do more than 5G at a time as all I have is a 6G bucket I use for mixing new water up. I’ll just shut off my pump and have 1 bucket made up and ready… siphon off 5G and dump it, siphon off another 5 and dump it.. . then toss in the 5G i have made, make another batch and add it and see how things go from there I guess.

Hope Purigen will help… ?

That is basically what I do with my 40g, I don't wait for the water to mix for more then a couple minutes...

How big is your system, sorry if I missed it..... I have no experience with purigen, but I think most nitrate reducers I've seen generally work with time and aren't really quick fixes, which IMO you really don't want anyway. Just like if things go bad quick it isn't good, quick fixes for the better can be shocking to the system/ corals as well. If things aren't looking to bad I would focus on keeping up with WC's and establish a plan filtration wise, carbon dosing/bio-pellets, purigen or other bio medias, better skimmer/ less feeding are all different options to consider.... You could also do a combination of those things, but again don't try to rush it..... nothing good happens fast in this hobby ;)

Thanks! This is a 39G cube tank that had been established for 2+ years. When I moved it, I brought everything, including roughly 80% of the water… However, when it was set back up, some new sand was added and combined with my damsel’s remodeling efforts I’m pretty sure I had a pretty major amount die off, providing me with a nice not so mini-cycle. I’m only guessing there as it is the only thing I can think of really.

Just checked on the tank and my “moonlight” mode is set bright enough I can see in the tank some and I can see the xenia opening up a little at least. That and the zoa’s have already opened back up some and the button polyps are open so I guess my WC wasn’t too harsh on them… during the change everything had closed up shop and hid away!

I really need to figure out what I want to do long term for filtration. Hopefully I can find some purigen locally so I can at least have something running while I’m gone to start nudging things in the right direction.

Thanks! This is a 39G cube tank that had been established for 2+ years. When I moved it, I brought everything, including roughly 80% of the water… However, when it was set back up, some new sand was added and combined with my damsel’s remodeling efforts I’m pretty sure I had a pretty major amount die off, providing me with a nice not so mini-cycle. I’m only guessing there as it is the only thing I can think of really.

Just checked on the tank and my “moonlight” mode is set bright enough I can see in the tank some and I can see the xenia opening up a little at least. That and the zoa’s have already opened back up some and the button polyps are open so I guess my WC wasn’t too harsh on them… during the change everything had closed up shop and hid away!

I really need to figure out what I want to do long term for filtration. Hopefully I can find some purigen locally so I can at least have something running while I’m gone to start nudging things in the right direction.

How long ago was the move?

If it hasn't been very long I would say you really just need some time and keep up on the water changes. Carbon and/or purigen probably wouldn't be a bad idea either but time and water changes are going to be your best friends right now IMO.

The tank was moved 5+ weeks ago. Really stinks to have to keep tossing out all this water when the only thing off in it is nitrates… everything else seems to be spot on.

Just remember, 5 gallons for your tank size is only ~12 ish percent of a water change. That means best case scenario, your nitrates will only drop 12%. In terms of nutrient removal, 1 large swap out is more productive that multiple smaller changes equaling the same total gallons due to you taking out perfectly "clean water" tht you added from the last wter change.

Here's a pic of our new addition.......the ride home about a month ago. http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/jack1978/media/27d63a47-e2ac-48d0-bf23-af9d451349d6.jpg.html'>27d63a47-e2ac-48d0-bf23-af9d451349d6.jpg

That is one cute dog.

This is my Sasha from when she was a puppy last year.

<a  href=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b185/mike9i1/D1E57DF7-41BB-4A35-9725-90CAE459FF03-292-0000004EEE8EF009_zps120371f2.jpg' alt='D1E57DF7-41BB-4A35-9725-90CAE459FF03-292-0000004EEE8EF009_zps120371f2.jpg'>

None of what I said makes sense, so hopefully someone will explain it better.

Makes perfect sense....in other words.....stop wasting water and stop doing water changes, am I right?

That is one cute dog.

This is my Sasha from when she was a puppy last year.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b185/mike9i1/D1E57DF7-41BB-4A35-9725-90CAE459FF03-292-0000004EEE8EF009_zps120371f2.jpg

Sasha is a beautiful girl (or boy if he's French).....I like the name.

She's a girl. Funny, she had a real chocolate undertone in her fur as a puppy. We thought it was a puppy only thin because the blackened up but now that she's out in the sun she is turning a dark brown again. It's like she goes tanning.

She's a girl. Funny, she had a real chocolate undertone in her fur as a puppy. We thought it was a puppy only thin because the blackened up but now that she's out in the sun she is turning a dark brown again. It's like she goes tanning.

Ours seems to have a goldish tint on her head only...otherwise, brown......and gassy at night.

Got that mag rock thing on Friday. Going to try and get the nem and maxi mini to release from the big rock so I can remove it. Move a couple smaller pieces over and get a more open look....any tips on getting them to release?

Ours seems to have a goldish tint on her head only...otherwise, brown......and gassy at night. Got that mag rock thing on Friday. Going to try and get the nem and maxi mini to release from the big rock so I can remove it. Move a couple smaller pieces over and get a more open look....any tips on getting them to release?

Credit card or ice cube, Id try ice cube 1st.... also you can try blasting them with a power head to get them moving..... Lawn might know better tho ;)

Archived