Pod Your Reef

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad all is well and tranquil once again. I'm kinda surprised that Rebecca didn't stand up to the bullying though...thought wrasses tended to hold their own?

Very pretty Gena!

Thank you!!!! :)

Glad all is well and tranquil once again. I'm kinda surprised that Rebecca didn't stand up to the bullying though...thought wrasses tended to hold their own?

It's a joy to look at the tank again LOL. Yeah, I kept telling her to fight back but she wouldn't do it. I guess she's a timid wrasse. I'm so happy she can swim freely again. She was hitting the sand early for bed during that aggression. She'd go in at 3pm!!!! Now she's out till about 5pm again. Poor girl. I'm glad I didn't put off catching that cardinal any longer. Once I started trying to really catch her...I wasn't going to stop until I had her. Messing up my tank was NOT going to be for nothing :).

Well, the neon goby wouldn't leave my squamosa clam alone. She kept picking on it and it wouldn't open fully as a result. Eventually she would have killed it. Otherwise, she's a great little fish. Apparently neon goby clam picking has been documented before so this isn't an isolated incident! The male neon goby hasn't messed with the clams so far fingerscrossed.

Well its a good thing I haven't seen any signs of the goby since putting it in the tank then because trying a clam is on the list of things to do eventually lol Hopefully your male behaves himself!!

The cardinal started chasing Rebecca the leopard wrasse relentlessly. After she dropped those eggs she became aggressive toward Rebecca. But only Rebecca. I think it's because the wrasse ate the eggs :o.

Weird I always thought they were live bearers.... I do know that the males hold the babies in their mouth tho until they are ready to be released, if they don't eat them themselves. Shame they couldn't get along tho, but the wrasse is definitely the way better one to keep :D

IMG_9266_zpsaac7d75e.jpg

Looks really good G!

Some wrasses, especially the larger fairy wrasses and more aggressive types (6 lines, mystery...) yes, but Leopard wrasses are alot more timid especially initially (like first 6 months-yr.)

Weird I always thought they were live bearers.... I do know that the males hold the babies in their mouth tho until they are ready to be released, if they don't eat them themselves. Shame they couldn't get along tho, but the wrasse is definitely the way better one to keep :D

Looks really good G!

Some wrasses, especially the larger fairy wrasses and more aggressive types (6 lines, mystery...) yes, but Leopard wrasses are alot more timid especially initially (like first 6 months-yr.)

Thanks, Chris! I think the female cardinal lays the eggs. Then the male fertilizes them. Then he incubates them in his mouth. They hatch in his mouth :o. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

I think my cardinal was really pissed that Rebecca ate her precious eggs LOL.

Are cardinals usually aggressive? I was thinking goby, psw, cardinal for next tank fishes...

Mine never showed aggression before this. Well, not to any other species. She was a terror to the second cardinal I put in with her at the same time. I had to remove that other cardinal. She did the same chasing to it as she was doing to the wrasse.

I won't ever have another cardinal after this experience. I like your other fish plans :). You will LOVE the PSW :D.

My PSW is on the UPS truck out for delivery right now!!! :scarry:

:happydance:

Just wait..you will fall in love with this fish. Your wife is going to be jealous LOL. Just kidding :). They are even cuter after they get that plump belly on them. I hope yours is a little pink piggy like mine.

Happy Friday! My favorite day of the week :)

and now it's Sunday :(

But I do like Sundays for other reasons :).

Oh! What's in a pink lady??

It's amazing..you have to try it :). It has gin, grenadine, fresh squeezed lemon (from the tree in your backyard! lol..just kidding), apple jack, and egg white. The egg white is to give it the frothy top. It's my new signature drink :).

ha ha ha.

+1 :lol:
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks you two :). Well, not a whole lot is new with the tank. Which is why I haven't had any updates. It's just doing it's thing. I was going to wait to post photos when things start showing a noticeable growth difference. I did have to cut the season's greetings monticap today though. It was starting to shade things. So I have a few frags of that to sell now :rolleyes:. I have to order shipping boxes because I've exhausted my own supply from frags I've received over the years! So I guess my shipping charge will have to go up to cover the cost of the supplies now. Maybe just a few dollars though.

But I have other exciting news. I think I mentioned here that I wanted to sign up to be a background actor on television and movies. Well, I signed up last week and I've already been working this week! It's so exciting and my new passion!!!! Don't worry, I won't forget about my tanks LOL.

So far I've been on Community and The Last Ship. The Last Ship was a blast. It's about a pandemic that wipes out most of the earth's population. I played a "sick person". I had the Red Flu. They did hair and makeup on us and I looked terrible LOL. The middle photo below is how they first made me up. But they decided it was too intense so they toned it down to the first photo. The last photo is my amateur head shot. Once I start working more we'll pay for a professional head shot :).

acting_zps4d715c2a.jpg

So that's my news and what I've been up to. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Archived