Coral Vue Hydros

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

nevermore1701

Yeah I know ;) would you be able to recommend a good scotch that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Depends what you would call an arm and a leg. Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, MacAllen, and Glenfiddich 10-12 year are all pretty tame starter Scotches that won't break the bank. if you want to go all out with some smoky, peaty goodness, Laphroaig quarter cask will punch you in the face and make you ask for more :lol:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh you would like founders breakfast stout then...or left hand milk stout. The latter is easier to find. It's so yummy...makes Guinness taste like bud light lol

I'll tell my husband. He probably is familiar with it already so that will make it very easy for me :).
natalia_la_loca

Depends what you would call an arm and a leg. Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, MacAllen, and Glenfiddich 10-12 year are all pretty tame starter Scotches that won't break the bank. if you want to go all out with some smoky, peaty goodness, Laphroaig quarter cask will punch you in the face and make you ask for more :lol:

Oooh I like smoky and peaty. just looked it up and the price isn't any worse than a bottle of decent absinthe, I think I can handle that :)

Have you had some of the Frangelico yet? I saw that at BEVMO when we went there last week :).

It really took off in this current tank. I think it's the lighting that it loves :).

My pizza is here :happydance:

I leave you all with cuteness :)

chloe_zps77578fbd.jpeg

chloe2_zpsca9cea5d.jpeg

looks so cuddly!

I haven't had any Frangelico yet though I've had it before so I know it's amazing but it wasn't going to go well w/ my late dinner which is pizza in the oven. It was my Hagen's 6th birthday today so he got some of Petsmart's food Simply Nourish chicken n' rice dinner for a treat today. He usually gets the dry salmon and sweet potato and he gets some of their wet food mixed in every once in a while.

nevermore1701

Oooh I like smoky and peaty. just looked it up and the price isn't any worse than a bottle of decent absinthe, I think I can handle that :)

Jump right in with the Laphroaig Quarter Cask then! Chill (but not too cold, maybe 50-55*), two fingers of scotch, a splash (tablespoon at most) of filtered water (no distilled or tap), and two unbroken ice cubes. Swirl, let sit for two minutes, take a loooooooooooong sniff, and enjoy!

I'll tell my husband. He probably is familiar with it already so that will make it very easy for me :).

Did you ever get a hold of any of that cherry or raspberry Lambic?

Did you ever get a hold of any of that cherry or raspberry Lambic?

Not yet. I need to write that down so I don't forget! :)

How about some tank news.....

I ended up trimming the grape monticap yesterday. I have 3 frags of it growing out on my frag rack now. I can send some color to you Luke...if you are interested in monticap? I want to give it some time to grow a bit before shipping though. I ended up throwing away a lot of it because I don't have the space on my frag rack. Such a shame.

Haven't had to trim the green monti yet.

Saw the HH bad crab in the sump the other day so yay..he's still alive. I really want to clean out the fuge but I keep putting it off because I'm lazy :lol:. I will get to it soon, hopefully.

Turns out it was/is allergies and not a cold, this past weekend. So, that's good news for me :).

nevermore1701

How about some tank news.....

I ended up trimming the grape monticap yesterday. I have 3 frags of it growing out on my frag rack now. I can send some color to you Luke...if you are interested in monticap? I want to give it some time to grow a bit before shipping though. I ended up throwing away a lot of it because I don't have the space on my frag rack. Such a shame.

Haven't had to trim the green monti yet.

Saw the HH bad crab in the sump the other day so yay..he's still alive. I really want to clean out the fuge but I keep putting it off because I'm lazy :lol:. I will get to it soon, hopefully.

Turns out it was/is allergies and not a cold, this past weekend. So, that's good news for me :).

I'd love to try a monti! Let me know when they're grown out enough and I'll paypal ya :D

I had to move my tank across the living room yesterday, as for some reason the breaker it was on didn't like running the tank, tv, cable box, two comuters, bluray player, two xboxes, the printer, etc.... :lol:

I'd love to try a monti! Let me know when they're grown out enough and I'll paypal ya :D

I had to move my tank across the living room yesterday, as for some reason the breaker it was on didn't like running the tank, tv, cable box, two comuters, bluray player, two xboxes, the printer, etc.... :lol:

Well then...one has your name on it :D.

Hah, that's a lot of stuff. What a pain though to have to move it before the big move! When is the big move?

nevermore1701

This weekend omgomgomg

Moving it across the room wasn't too bad, just unplugged everything and picked the whole thing up by the stand.

This weekend omgomgomg

Moving it across the room wasn't too bad, just unplugged everything and picked the whole thing up by the stand.

He-Man :lol: You did drain it a bit, right???? :D

OMG...this weekend. How exciting!!!!! :happydance:

nevermore1701

He-Man :lol: You did drain it a bit, right???? :D

OMG...this weekend. How exciting!!!!! :happydance:

Better, I had my wife help :lol:

Congrats on TOTM! :) Do you have any pics of your sump? I'm into sumps lately because I'm looking to get a new one and I'm always looking for new ideas.

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

Congratulations, Gena! Two time TOTM winner! You're such a pro at this hobby! So well deserved :D

Congrats on TOTM! :) Do you have any pics of your sump? I'm into sumps lately because I'm looking to get a new one and I'm always looking for new ideas.

Thank you!!!!! I do. I'm about to run out to pick my son up from school, but I'll post one when I get back :D.

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg

:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

Congratulations, Gena! Two time TOTM winner! You're such a pro at this hobby! So well deserved :D

Awwwww....thank you my dear!!!!! I'm excited to be a part of the 2x'ers club :lol:. You'll be in it too ;).

Yay gena! :)

Thank you!!!!! I'm thrilled :).

CONGRATS ON TOTM!!!!!

Thanks so much, Matt!!!!! :)

Yay, grats Gena, right on time, and of course well deserved. Now we wait a year for that smaller tank. :D

Congrats, Gena!!

Thank you, Glenn :happy:.

yay gena so happy for you :)

Thank you my friend :)

Yay, grats Gena, right on time, and of course well deserved. Now we wait a year for that smaller tank. :D

Thank, Mark!!!!! Hah...they may kick me out if I get a 3rd TOTM :lol:

So here's the sump.

sump_zps0aad6483.jpg

It's not really anything special or nice to look at :lol:. Has 3 chambers. First holds the skimmer, reactor pump, and heater. I don't use a filter sock so the critters in the fuge get some food/poop and I don't inadvertently capture any of the pods that my mandarin could be eating. This is also where my kalk drips into the sump. Middle is the refugium. There is a sponge between the middle and last chamber that I clean with one of my weekly water changes. The sponge has big enough pores to allow pods through but not the nuisance cotton candy algae that is overgrowing the fuge right now :lol:. Last chamber has the return pump and my ATO. Not the best picture, but it shows everything under there. The big plastic container sitting on the floor is my ATO water.

FlowerMama

Hooray! SO happy to see this. You're the only person I see that can make alterations to your tank whenever needed and you can't tell you did because it's always done so cleanly, it looks perfect after each alteration. Really happy for you!! You work hard on it, it looks seamless, your pics are fantastic and every fish and coral are not only healthy but prospering. omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg:happydance::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::flower:

Archived