Innovative Marine Aquariums

Gentlemen Prefer Cubes

gena

Here's my mom's recipe. I think I was combining or confusing it with my grandmother's maybe.

Cabbage Rolls

1 medium head of cabbage

1 lb ground pork

1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup Mix

1 cup cooked rice

1/2 medium onion (shopped & sauteed)

1 can tomato paste

salt & pepper

1 can chicken broth

For the sauce combine the paste, broth and salt and pepper.

Remove core from the cabbage (about 2 inches in).

In large pot cover the cabbage with water.

Boil slowly separating each leaf and remove from pot.

Combine meat, rice and rest of ingredients and a little chicken broth.

With a knife cut slit by the vein of the leaves.

Put 1 tbsp mixture on each leaf and roll top first then 2 sides together and roll up.

Put face down into baking dish. Pour over sauce and cover,

Bake 325: for 2-3 hrs.

That sounds good too! I'll try that recipe sometime.

Here's a question for Gena and everyone else in the thread:

Do y'all have other expensive hobbies that interfere with tank upgrades, additional livestock purchases, etc?

Given the financial review prompted by the recent tax season, I see that I could have easily set up and stocked a tricked out 100+ gallon tank with what I spent on guns in the last year, or filled the one I have with top shelf coral using what I spent on my vaping habit. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret my other purchases, it's just interesting to see the money flow when you really take a detailed look.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Not me. I have no other hobbies. Unless you count buying groceries as a hobby LOL. I try to use only the money I make selling things on eBay to pay for my reef stuff. So basically the money I make goes for reef stuff and groceries. If only we didn't have to eat. :D

My husband is setting up some Quicken thing to track our purchases :(. He keeps pointing out how much I've spent on "pets" :lol:.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nevermore1701

That sounds good too! I'll try that recipe sometime. Not me. I have no other hobbies. Unless you count buying groceries as a hobby LOL. I try to use only the money I make selling things on eBay to pay for my reef stuff. So basically the money I make goes for reef stuff and groceries. If only we didn't have to eat. :DMy husband is setting up some Quicken thing to track our purchases :(. He keeps pointing out how much I've spent on "pets" :lol:.

I'm impressed! I can't think of a time in my life that I haven't had at least a couple of expensive hobbies competing for funds. Guns, knives, motorcycles, 4WDs, smoking, vaping, reef tanks, etc.

Also, whatever!

:P

I used to own a sailboat and that was an EXPENSIVE hobby. Sailing in San Francisco Bay is cold too!

Now with a 6 year old I only have time for one hobby. Lucky for me he likes aquariums.

Nanofreak79

Boats are deffinetly money pits. I had an older pontoon when we lived on a lake. That thing was always sucking money out of my bank account. :)

I'm impressed! I can't think of a time in my life that I haven't had at least a couple of expensive hobbies competing for funds. Guns, knives, motorcycles, 4WDs, smoking, vaping, reef tanks, etc.

Also, whatever!

:P

Hey now :P

Pictures?

clowns_zpsb1971fd9.jpg

It IS pretty nice under here :lol:.

wrasse_zps5f9599a2.jpg

Everybody gets a turn, except the firefish. Mama clown does not like the firefish.

your monticaps are just absolutely amazing stunning beautiful incredible magnificent...just so damn good

Thank you :happy:. Looks like I'm going to have to trim the purple one again VERY soon. It's nearly touching my gold clam now and it's back up against the AOG palys again. They are incredibly fast growers!

Lol it cracked me up for a cpl weeks. It was time to let it go for a classy lady such as you.

Pretty montis!

Thank you! :)

What have you been up to? I ended up going back to one of the plastic containers for my kalk dripping. The lid wasn't closing right on one of the glass ones, the other is fine. So I have one glass and one plastic for now.

Gena do your clowns host the toadstool ? Mine have 2 bta's that they ignore and the choose to host my 20 head Duncan but the stings from the Duncan's beat up momma clown. Might grab a toadstool

nevermore1701
Thank you! :)What have you been up to? I ended up going back to one of the plastic containers for my kalk dripping. The lid wasn't closing right on one of the glass ones, the other is fine. So I have one glass and one plastic for now.

Busier than a three legged cat trying to bury its poop on a frozen lake!

Sorry to hear one of your containers isn't working, kinda a gamble when using cheap stuff. At least it wasn't a big investment!

I've got to get more color into my tank somehow, but I'm going to wait until the tank is moved and thoroughly settled. Not sure quite what to get, but I need some color!

I love the clowns living in the montis so much. We pretty much discovered that we had nudibranchs that eat montis and that's why we can't keep montipora right now. We're starving them for 4 months and then we will add a trial piece. I hope it works. I want my midnight clowns to live in my future monti caps lol.

Gena do your clowns host the toadstool ? Mine have 2 bta's that they ignore and the choose to host my 20 head Duncan but the stings from the Duncan's beat up momma clown. Might grab a toadstool

No. I wish they did! A few years ago I had a toadstool and clowns that lived in it. It was sooo cool. I like them living in the montis too though.

2 BTA's and they still refuse? Have you tried the picture of an anemone with clowns in it attached to the side of the tank for your clowns to see? I've heard that actually works :D.

Busier than a three legged cat trying to bury its poop on a frozen lake! Sorry to hear one of your containers isn't working, kinda a gamble when using cheap stuff. At least it wasn't a big investment! I've got to get more color into my tank somehow, but I'm going to wait until the tank is moved and thoroughly settled. Not sure quite what to get, but I need some color!

:lol:

I'll send you some color ;).

I love the clowns living in the montis so much. We pretty much discovered that we had nudibranchs that eat montis and that's why we can't keep montipora right now. We're starving them for 4 months and then we will add a trial piece. I hope it works. I want my midnight clowns to live in my future monti caps lol.

Those monti eating nudis are worrisome to me. I know I don't have them, but I worry about introducing them somehow...yikes. I'd be devastated if they got into my tank somehow!

So today I went to go do my water change and noticed something on of my nuclear green palys. Turns out they are MORPHING!!!!!! I now have nuclear green/purple death morphs. I thought I just had one, and then I looked and found a second one with a purple blotch. I'm sooooo excited about this :happydance:.

IMG_7686_zpse9ff3abc.jpg

morph_zpse6452122.jpeg

I'm curious if those purple blotches will continue to get bigger? I'm thinking they will :).

nevermore1701

No. I wish they did! A few years ago I had a toadstool and clowns that lived in it. It was sooo cool. I like them living in the montis too though.

2 BTA's and they still refuse? Have you tried the picture of an anemone with clowns in it attached to the side of the tank for your clowns to see? I've heard that actually works :D.

:lol:

I'll send you some color ;).

Those monti eating nudis are worrisome to me. I know I don't have them, but I worry about introducing them somehow...yikes. I'd be devastated if they got into my tank somehow!

So today I went to go do my water change and noticed something on of my nuclear green palys. Turns out they are MORPHING!!!!!! I now have nuclear green/purple death morphs. I thought I just had one, and then I looked and found a second one with a purple blotch. I'm sooooo excited about this :happydance:.

I'm curious if those purple blotches will continue to get bigger? I'm thinking they will :).

That would be really cool if you get to watch them morph!

Oh, that is so cool! Do the babies just morph or can adults start changing color?

I think it just started happening because I never noticed it before and these aren't new polyps. They've been in there for a while :). I'll have to keep a close eye on them and the other polyps too.

Archived