Pod Your Reef

BATMANS CLAM CAVE

ZephNYC

Thanks. I do pay attention to protein/diet to a degree. I eat a lot of carbs out of necessity for run fueling but I also try to focus snacks on protein. I'll make Jamie Eason's protein pancakes, turkey muffins, and homemade protein bars for snacks. I also make hard boiled eggs. I don't really like eggs any other way. I do lower reps when I lift with heavier weights but a lot of my training is focused on endurance, hence low weight/high reps. I have a 100 mile (not a typo) race coming up so I doubt I will be building any good muscle this year. But maybe next year i will shift my focus to muscle building and shorter distances/speed. I'd like to get faster and stronger but my focus on distance running the last couple years has prevented it. :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. I do pay attention to protein/diet to a degree. I eat a lot of carbs out of necessity for run fueling but I also try to focus snacks on protein. I'll make Jamie Eason's protein pancakes, turkey muffins, and homemade protein bars for snacks. I also make hard boiled eggs. I don't really like eggs any other way. I do lower reps when I lift with heavier weights but a lot of my training is focused on endurance, hence low weight/high reps. I have a 100 mile (not a typo) race coming up so I doubt I will be building any good muscle this year. But maybe next year i will shift my focus to muscle building and shorter distances/speed. I'd like to get faster and stronger but my focus on distance running the last couple years has prevented it. :)

Wow! I really need to do more cardio, its just my metabolism is insanely fast even at my age (45), and I have to stuff my face all day long just to maintain my weight and im very lean .But im heavy at 260lbs and just climbing my 5 flight staircase isn't as easy as it should be. I could never run 100 miles. I don't think I could run 3 miles.

Yeah well Dingbat died.

I heard. My condolences.

You've had Dingbat as long as I've known you, so that's a pretty good run. Just think of all the loser tanks he could have wound up in. He would have never received all those exotic foods you obsess over, and he lived like a king. Even snacking on dead sexy shrimp. You gave him more than any hobbyist I know would have. He passed with a smile on his face, that's for sure.

Too bad I can't take some of your strength/muscle and trade you some cardio! If only we could just do what we really like and have great all around fitness. LOL.

I heard. My condolences.

You've had Dingbat as long as I've known you, so that's a pretty good run. Just think of all the loser tanks he could have wound up in. He would have never received all those exotic foods you obsess over, and he lived like a king. Even snacking on dead sexy shrimp. You gave him more than any hobbyist I know would have. He passed with a smile on his face, that's for sure.

:lol: I've had Dingbat a lot longer than I've known you, since September 2011. I think he had a good life with me. Thanks for the kind words, now who is going to guard the tank against the clam napper?

Happy to announce all maximas seam to be doing superior in the Batcave.

editpreviewh.jpg

:lol: I've had Dingbat a lot longer than I've known you, since September 2011. I think he had a good life with me. Thanks for the kind words, now who is going to guard the tank against the clam napper?

You are defensless now. I have waited a long time for this. Best sleep with one eye open I feel a nap coming on.

You're making me want a clam!

So now that you've liked that, what kind of clam can I have in 45 gallons? I need to wait a few more months and make sure all is stable but I think I will do some serious research. And pester Zeph of course. :)

Deleted User 3

Too bad I can't take some of your strength/muscle and trade you some cardio! If only we could just do what we really like and have great all around fitness. LOL.

I can donate someone or someone(s) some fat for all the right places if anyone needs it.. free of charge 'cept hospital bills lol!

You are defensless now. I have waited a long time for this. Best sleep with one eye open I feel a nap coming on.

Ooooh naptime..

Nap-Time-l.jpg

You're making me want a clam!

So now that you've liked that, what kind of clam can I have in 45 gallons? I need to wait a few more months and make sure all is stable but I think I will do some serious research. And pester Zeph of course. :)

I will have to check your thread to learn about your system, and I will, but the type of clam you can keep will be pretty much determined by your light. That's a good size tank you can keep any species you want really. The most important things to discuss is water changes, nitrates, carbon, and of course light. But there's all the time in the world and the good news is the availability of HEALTHY clams is becoming better then ever. We used to actually worry the world would run out of clams and they would be put on the endangered species list, and that would be the end of that ( for the most part ). But with all the farming going on, not only are clams getting better and better, but once considered rare clams are becoming common and even over abundant - like the blue squamosa's.

Well poop. Sorry about that.

Oh Young JediMaster, how was the SWAP!!!??????

jedimaster1138

Oh Young JediMaster, how was the SWAP!!!??????

OH..hi :)

It was cool. I posted a little about it in my thread. I spent a lot, Jason Fox got me good, but what else is new. lol Clams were actually kinda...I dunno. Dr. Mac had a lot of big super blues, but his small cultured ones were only the purple/gold variety and none jumped out at me. Though his prices were quite good.

Almostwife bought me a JasonFox hammer coral :)

Those blue clams need halides.

That's my girl !!!!! and to be specific, they need 10K halides.

PS. How long will it take JedimasterBEN to dispute this ????? I love itttt.!

This. ...and that's why mac keeps them in the green house

Even in the green house he supplements the light with...

yes you guessed it..

H A L I D E S !!!

Even in the green house he supplements the light with...

yes you guessed it..

H A L I D E S !!!

No he doesn't unless its winter. I lived 10 minutes down the road for two years and he almost never busts out the halide racks unless snow is covered the greenhouse for more than a day. So you're wrong. Sorry. There are no lighting fixtures except florescent tubes for ambient lighting in the greenhouse. And the halides are lumenmax 2 reflectors on a rolling rack in a closet

No he doesn't unless its winter. I lived 10 minutes down the road for two years and he almost never busts out the halide racks unless snow is covered the greenhouse. So you're wrong. Sorry

He wrote me that he uses halides to compensate for cloudy days....

Well...he sure isn't using LEDS's!!!

On clams no. But half of his stock is lit by halide. Half led.

Clams under sun

Half of his display tanks are led half are t5.

jedimasterben

So you still think that LEDs don't emit light, which is what clams need to survive?

(LED = light emitting diode)

Archived