Top Shelf Aquatics

BATMANS CLAM CAVE

ZephNYC

So PEA had another "our pick" special? How'd I miss that 2 days ago?

No this was a WYSIWYG, but was only $25 more than the "our pic".

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awwww, thanks very much. :blush: Some coral have seen better days, though. Still working on that.

I just photodumped Zeph's thread so that'll be it for a long time. :lol:

REALLY nice progress on those blue zoas in the first shot. Get some on a frag plug and I'll $ it from you. Also how long have you had the pink goniopora ?? Acro looks very healthy too. Looks like you know what you're doing - keep up the good work!!!!

REALLY nice progress on those blue zoas in the first shot. Get some on a frag plug and I'll $ it from you. Also how long have you had the pink goniopora ?? Acro looks very healthy too. Looks like you know what you're doing - keep up the good work!!!!

Thanks Zeph! They're actually more of a purple color. The closest thing they look like are Tubbs blue zoas. But shipping would be a pain since I'm not from the US. You're welcome to come on over and get some though. Free. :D

I've had the gonio since May 2012. It's not looking so hot right now since I went overboard on water changes and detritus removal.

Everything is looking amazing in your tank zeph. I would love a frag of goniopora but my Lfs never have any available. Does your huge clam ever close and shoot water out of your tank? I had a derasa in my 3 gallon and it did that a couple times.

Wow not only are these some great pics, but some intense growth on all of these. Ive had luck with zoa growth, but nothing like that!

Any way youd post your dosing or maintenance schedule?

Here is a pic of my purple and gold crocea that has been in this tank for 3 months. I know it is not that long, but this is a celebration for me, after all the #$%^&*!!!! Ive been through with clams!!!!

Heres an FTS of the BATCAVE. I know it looks like sh*t, but im giving my other systems a rest and going to work on stepping this one up. Thinking about dragon faced pipefish, and of course -

MORE CLAMAGE. ALso tons of different shrooms. Shrooms do good in here.

cavecu.jpg

Why is Batman so interested in the new Maxima, you think he will nip at it? And if he does, can I has the Batman? :flower:

What did you do with the 11 pounds of sand I gave you? That would work well in this tank.

Why is Batman so interested in the new Maxima, you think he will nip at it? And if he does, can I has the Batman? :flower:

What did you do with the 11 pounds of sand I gave you? That would work well in this tank.

Because he's smart!!! He has already lost interest in it so I doubt nipping will be problem. He hasn't touched it as far as I know.

What did I do with that sand ???....I really cant remember!!! OHhhhhh yea....some of it is in my live Mysis culture and the rest is in my aptasia culture. Everyone on Manhattan reefs loves me because I pay cash for aptasias !!!

Nice to see a change of heart in this thread.

<snif > I feel a tear coming on :wub:

:slap: don't get frisky. Oreo moved again BTW. posting a pithur now.

The name is cute...I think i'll name my next gold one Twinkie. I can barely walk today but should be a little better tomorrow and would love to do lunch with the 3 of us. Ill call you soon.

Wow not only are these some great pics, but some intense growth on all of these. Ive had luck with zoa growth, but nothing like that!

Any way youd post your dosing or maintenance schedule?

I plan on posting info about the ins and outs of my system, I'll try to step it up. THanks for your interest.

Deleted User 3

Zeph your tank is bellissimo. I need more corals. I feel empty. I've lost 3 to ####ing hermit antics. Anyone want a hermit who likes to detach freshly glued frags? I rescaped also.. crappy quickie photo.

903709_494221230627439_982103307_o.jpg

Deleted User 3

336465_392205810828982_1837956539_o.jpg

July last year, and It hadn't changed size or color for months after that...

902587_494162210633341_2138253556_o.jpg

April 10th. The big one was the guy in the first pic, got the lil one and the baby coming :)

Zeph your tank is bellissimo. I need more corals. I feel empty. I've lost 3 to ####ing hermit antics. Anyone want a hermit who likes to detach freshly glued frags? I rescaped also.. crappy quickie photo.

903709_494221230627439_982103307_o.jpg

Thank you! Your tank looks cute!!! I just fragged about 20 gold photosynthetic gorgonians that I will be giving away for free. They are super hardy and would look right at home in your tank. I will try to get some pics up tonight, Im so tired today I cant move!

Deleted User 3

Hmm.. I'm tired too. I guess since I slept in for the first time in a long time yesterday, today I was supposed to get up early. Awake awake at 520 am.. ugh. lol

jedimasterben

All I can tell you about LED's are that MOST clam keepers that have tried them eventually go back to metal halides. We had a massive debate and argument on this subject over at Reef Central, and the conclusion seams to be that shallow system nano tanks appear to be able to support Maximas with LEDS, but 99% of big tanks that are focusing on clams NEED halides. Im prepared to get tons of slack for saying this in a forum that believes halides are dead, old school, and too much$$$ to run, but in all honesty, this is the only forum that feels this way. My nano is only 30 gallons with a custom small sump I purchased from Jedimaster1138, and I will be using LED's, but whether I attempt clams in this tank is yet to be decided ( but you know I will ;) ).

Unfortunately, most of those people still don't understand that light is light, no matter what source it comes from. Intensity and spectrum are what matter. 99% of everyone that has 'tried LEDs and they just didn't work out' used those fake Chinese knockoffs from ebay or those shit lights from Marineland. I know a few people that bought a couple those shitty Ecoxotic Panorama strips and wrote off LEDs when they didn't put out enough light to replace their 400w halides.

Another unfortunate point is that most of those people will never understand what I and others are talking about when we say that LEDs can keep any and all photosynthetic animals on the planet with explosive growth and intense coloration. Manufacturers are just too cheap to implement the proper features to accomplish this, and this is the main issue with LEDs at this point. We know what to fix and how to fix it - but it's cheaper, faster, and easier to do it a way that gives the meidocre results most are getting now.

Oh, and I'd love to see any halide max out a PAR meter at 18". :)

Dude you are the clam master! You have some very nice specimens.

I have a maxima thats doing great but it wont stop moving, anyway to remedy that?

zeph quick question. Where is the spot to place a derasa clam, sandbed or rockwork? There is a super nice medium sized clam at my lfs that I might pull the trigger on and just want to make sure I have a good spot for it in my tank. Oh btw it's a 30 gallon tank lit by a kessil a350w. Thanks for the help clam commander :lol:

Completely off topic, and in poor taste, but I just could not resist. Here is my friend Grumpy Glen that finally paid me back the $100,000.00 he owes me!!!! Ever seen 100K in cash ???? WOOO HOOOOO!!!!

glenq.jpg

glen2.jpg

I will get back o fish questions in a few minutes.....sorry.

Now that I've seen $100k in cash, I'd like to see $100k in clams please. :)

All you had to do was ask!!!!! cclamsss.jpg

zeph quick question. Where is the spot to place a derasa clam, sandbed or rockwork? There is a super nice medium sized clam at my lfs that I might pull the trigger on and just want to make sure I have a good spot for it in my tank. Oh btw it's a 30 gallon tank lit by a kessil a350w. Thanks for the help clam commander :lol:

To be politically correct, Deresa's should be in the sand. But the reality is you can put them anywhere. Just know they grow the fastest and get heavy, so rockwork is usually temporary regardless. Get it and let's check it out. They are the easiest to keep. Your'e welcome !!!!!

Leds yet Zeph?

SHHHHH...if Jedi finds out I have two stunner strips in front of me I will never hear the end of it.

Completely off topic, and in poor taste, but I just could not resist. Here is my friend Grumpy Glen that finally paid me back the $100,000.00 he owes me!!!! Ever seen 100K in cash ???? WOOO HOOOOO!!!!

glenq.jpg

glen2.jpg

I will get back o fish questions in a few minutes.....sorry.

Please deposit that in the bank right away!

Great thread!

What are the fish in post 97?

Archived