Top Shelf Aquatics

BATMANS CLAM CAVE

ZephNYC

I love that disturbingly large clam.

She is my pride and joy. She's also the sole survivor or a pinched mantle plague that killed off ...oh....about 75 other clams!!???

Yes they changed the name to Oxides.

http://cultivatedreef.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=19_3&product_id=32

I emailed Greg about it too and he confirmed.

THanks for that.

Hey I made it to 2 pages, im on a role !!

Now I know you are the Queen of progression shots because I learned it from you, so if one of these days you have the time, perhaps you can enlighten my thread.

:closedeyes:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Newbie tank! :)

GSP August 2012 (5 polyps)

c7327ad6.jpg

GSP April 2013

2013-03-30_14-51-40_25_zpsc47531f6.jpg

Zoas September 2012

c0a3cfd4.jpg

IMAG0885_zpsbe3c7aef.jpg

Zoas now

2013-03-30_14-50-20_898_zpsfb8ef677.jpg

Kenya Tree September 2012

2137a73e.jpg

Kenya now April 2013

2013-04-02_08-35-44_232_zps932ec1bb.jpg

I remember reading how you said you'd jump out the window if anything happened to Big Bertha. It's good you're both still here. Any pics of when she was smaller (relatively speaking) for a progression shot?

Newbie tank! :)

With all that progression you know your tank is on the right path. Nice!!!!!!! Lets see those Zoas 6 months from now.

I remember reading how you said you'd jump out the window if anything happened to Big Bertha. It's good you're both still here. Any pics of when she was smaller (relatively speaking) for a progression shot?

OMG I would. One of these days I will tell you my nightmare story when I had a dream someone stole it! I was not one for photographing my tank much in the past, but I do have some shots a few years back. SHe grows about an inch per year. Ill see what I can dig up.

In the meantime, Im really happy how well Dr.Macs " our pick" clam is doing in my big tank. I know I just showed it but heres a better pick that I just took today. THis clam was only $99.

mac1na.jpg

OMG I would. One of these days I will tell you my nightmare story when I had a dream someone stole it! I was not one for photographing my tank much in the past, but I do have some shots a few years back. SHe grows about an inch per year. Ill see what I can dig up.

In the meantime, Im really happy how well Dr.Macs " our pick" clam is doing in my big tank. I know I just showed it but heres a better pick that I just took today. THis clam was only $99.

mac1na.jpg

Beautiful. Can't wait for my first clam, some day. :rolleyes:

Beautiful. Can't wait for my first clam, some day. :rolleyes:

The prices are coming way down since the progress the big farms and other institutions have proven. WHen youre ready let me know, I Usually know the conditions of current batches the big vendors are carrying at any given time. B)

The prices are coming way down since the progress the big farms and other institutions have proven. WHen youre ready let me know, I Usually know the conditions of current batches the big vendors are carrying at any given time. B)

Awesome, will be a while, need to upgrade tanks and achieve stability :).

Have you done any clam culturing yourself, or do you focus on keeping yours happy?

Nice thread idea, and fantastic tank and disturbingly large clam!

Sorry to hear about your other loses too - I lost a pair of T. deresa (a nice blue and a great gold) to the same thing, and they were the last ones I kept after having several for a number of years - sort of scarred me mentally a little... :wacko: ...

Nice thread idea, and fantastic tank and disturbingly large clam!

Sorry to hear about your other loses too - I lost a pair of T. deresa (a nice blue and a great gold) to the same thing, and they were the last ones I kept after having several for a number of years - sort of scarred me mentally a little... :wacko: ...

Now you know why I was "THIS CLOSE" to getting out of the hobby a couple of years ago. Sometimes you just need a break, everything is so expensive!!!

Ok, this is not a progression sequence (yet), but not a whole lot of people have seen what a red Chili coral ( Nepthyigorgia sp. ) should look like. They are notorious for never opening and shrinking away ( NPS), but once you get them to open and eat, they are easy and gorgeous.

chillitv.jpg

chilli2.jpg

Baby Dendronepthea !!

dendron.jpg

Awesome, will be a while, need to upgrade tanks and achieve stability :).

Have you done any clam culturing yourself, or do you focus on keeping yours happy?

I have had clams spawn, but up until only this year has anyone ever had any success in a baby actually surviving and growing in an aquarium. THis is where my head is at lately. And even though this is technically a progression shot thread, I will soon be doing a post on how I can get a clam to spawn at the snap of a finger, with the proper pharmaceuticals. Heres I a pic that we are waiting to get a copyright on, but this Deresa spawns about once a month. The owner has had it for over a year, and check out the baby that actually settled and grew right on its side. THis is prolly the most awesome clam shot I have ever seen, even though its only a deresa.

babyderesa.jpg

Now you know why I was "THIS CLOSE" to getting out of the hobby a couple of years ago. Sometimes you just need a break, everything is so expensive!!!

I understand, but I have never stopped or taken a break... ;)

I have had clams spawn, but up until only this year has anyone ever had any success in a baby actually surviving and growing in an aquarium. THis is where my head is at lately. And even though this is technically a progression shot thread, I will soon be doing a post on how I can get a clam to spawn at the snap of a finger, with the proper pharmaceuticals. Heres I a pic that we are waiting to get a copyright on, but this Deresa spawns about once a month. The owner has had it for over a year, and check out the baby that actually settled and grew right on its side. THis is prolly the most awesome clam shot I have ever seen, even though its only a deresa.

babyderesa.jpg

Very cool!

However, what do you mean "only a deresa"? :angry:

;)

I love that disturbingly large clam.

dito I cannot look away haha!

wow what a beautiful tank! Nice to see you stuck with it...really paid off! Someone needs to send me some corals lol

babyderesa.jpg

I am in awe! That baby is incredible. Thank you for showing this picture. :bowdown:

The nightmare must have been to scare you to stop napping things from Kat's tank. :D

You guys are lucky. You have lots of cool stuff there while here I am, thousands of miles away and all I can do is drool when I see pics like those.

Will that baby clam detach on its own when it's big enough or will it be detached manually?

I understand, but I have never stopped or taken a break... ;)

Very cool!

However, what do you mean "only a deresa"? :angry:

;)

Ok you got me....I know - All clams are created equal!!!!

dito I cannot look away haha!

wow what a beautiful tank! Nice to see you stuck with it...really paid off! Someone needs to send me some corals lol

I will send you some just for your awesome Italian Name!!!!!!

Sicilian Zeph =))

I am in awe! That baby is incredible. Thank you for showing this picture. :bowdown:

My pleasure !!!! Thank you for your interest =))

I will send you some just for your awesome Italian Name!!!!!!

Sicilian Zeph =))

whoop whoop!!! Fellow Sicilian :D

I :wub: goodies!

and baby clam!!! That is awesome!

...curious as well does the baby clam detach once it starts to grow or you have to remove it?

jedimaster1138

Did someone say progression shots?

ORA Green Montipora digitata. Picture taken on 4-19-2012

ora-montipora-digitata-4-19-2012_zpsb337

Today, almost exactly a year later...

ora-montipora-digitata-4-19-2013_zpse212

Important note - this is HALF the colony. I fragged the other half off and gave it away at the last MR swap. So yeah.

ORA Purple Stylophora

ora-purple-stylophora-4-19-2012_zps7aeb9

And again today:

ora-purple-stylophora-4-19-2012_zps83ba3

Important note - these also survived a tank transfer, don't ask me how. LOL

whoop whoop!!! Fellow Sicilian :D

I :wub: goodies!

and baby clam!!! That is awesome!

...curious as well does the baby clam detach once it starts to grow or you have to remove it?

WHen it gets too heavy it will simply fall off. We voted to let nature take it's course and intervene as little as possible. I don't want people to think this is my clam, because it is not, but im hijacking the guys tank who does own it.

MUUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHH!!!!!

Remind me when your birthday comes around, Us Italians have to stick together.

;)

Did someone say progression shots?

ORA Green Montipora digitata. Picture taken on 4-19-2012

ora-montipora-digitata-4-19-2012_zpsb337

Today, almost exactly a year later...

ora-montipora-digitata-4-19-2013_zpse212

Important note - this is HALF the colony. I fragged the other half off and gave it away at the last MR swap. So yeah.

ORA Purple Stylophora

ora-purple-stylophora-4-19-2012_zps7aeb9

And again today:

ora-purple-stylophora-4-19-2012_zps83ba3

Important note - these also survived a tank transfer, don't ask me how. LOL

Ahhhhh...Theres my man!! Nice purple stylo - lots of growth there. Be sure to take some FTS progression shots as your tank is brand spanking new at the moment.

oh and just for the record, Jedi ordered a sweet powder brown tang from DD, that unfortunately came down with a bad case of ich, which is not surprising. But I am happy to report that after a couple of weeks all by himself in a 125 gallon quarantine tank, he is good as gold !!! I love curing sick fish!!! Ill grab a pic when I go back to the fish room to lock up late tonight.

mac1na.jpg

This is one of the most beautiful clams I ve ever seen..

Cheers Zeph you are my hero!!!

This is one of the most beautiful clams I ve ever seen..

Cheers Zeph you are my hero!!!

Hey thanks for that !!

You flatter me !!! Keep it up !!!!!

Everyone thinks I am the "clam pro" around here, but in all honesty I am the complete opposite. In fact it is my extremely poor success rate with Tridacnids that has caused me to research and explore different methods and theories. I can keep them in quarantine forever, but I just cant figure out why they do not do well when transferred to the big reef. Actually my clams are doing better now then ever. so I feel I am half way there.

Archived