Innovative Marine Aquariums

BATMANS CLAM CAVE

ZephNYC

jedimaster1138

SHHHHH...if Jedi finds out I have two stunner strips in front of me I will never hear the end of it.

Want some more? I have a few. I'll gladly exchange them for a few of those pictures of Dr. Franklin. :-D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, in your 210 I thought you ran 400w halides?

I did But I just switched from 3 x400W bulbs, to 4x250W bulbs. THis made it perfect for using %50 10K AND %50 14K. With 3 bulbs I was always too heavy in one of the ranges.

Want some more? I have a few. I'll gladly exchange them for a few of those pictures of Dr. Franklin. :-D

You've got enough of my Franklins, LOL. And I still want to buy those rocks off you !

I think I am going to pick it up this weekend hopefully. If I do I will post som pics.

make sure to give it the wave test with your hand and see if it responds first.

other than checking the repsonsiveness is there anything else I need to look for? I have a pretty good eye for PM and gaping but other than that are there any derasa specific things I need to watch out for?

Completely off topic, and in poor taste, but I just could not resist. Here is my friend Grumpy Glen that finally paid me back the $100,000.00 he owes me!!!! Ever seen 100K in cash ???? WOOO HOOOOO!!!!

glenq.jpg

glen2.jpg

I will get back o fish questions in a few minutes.....sorry.

Wow I've had mild success growing cash, but nothing that big. Would you mind posting your feeding and dosing schedule for that?

Deleted User 3

Completely off topic, and in poor taste, but I just could not resist. Here is my friend Grumpy Glen that finally paid me back the $100,000.00 he owes me!!!! Ever seen 100K in cash ???? WOOO HOOOOO!!!!

glenq.jpg

glen2.jpg

O... M...G. I thought seeing $2000 in cash was amazing... lol

other than checking the repsonsiveness is there anything else I need to look for? I have a pretty good eye for PM and gaping but other than that are there any derasa specific things I need to watch out for?

Most definitely. Not Deresa specific, but for all clams - pick it up and look under it. It should have healthy growth protruding from the hole at the bottom, as if it is looking for something to attach to. If you see an empty cave, or can see inside the clam through the bottom, forget about it.

I didn't have any doubt that it could be all 100's lol, its you. If it was someone else I'd doubt it... Maybe its 20's :)

I tried to tell you baby, IMMA IMMA ROCKSTAR. B)

glenq.jpg

glen2.jpg

Well, Zeph no wonder Glen is grumpy. I'd be grumpy too if I had to part with a ROLL like that! :o

Dude you are the clam master! You have some very nice specimens.

I have a maxima thats doing great but it wont stop moving, anyway to remedy that?

OH you flatter me!!!! (keep it up !)

Hey, sorry for the delayed response. This one almost got by me! it sounds like its not happy in its current location. Check for things like too much flow, low light, or neighboring LPS can bother them too.

Well, Zeph no wonder Glen is grumpy. I'd be grumpy too if I had to part with a ROLL like that! :o

FOr sure!!! But I wasnt too happy to lend it to him either !!!!!

Please deposit that in the bank right away!

Great thread!

What are the fish in post 97?

THank you!!! The large black fish is a pinnatus batfish Ive had for like 5 years, and the pair of green ones are orange spot filefish ive had for around 4 years.

Deleted User 3

You can lend it to me... well.. more like give it.. :D:D hahahah. Would take me like, the rest of my life to pay that off & be able to live lol

THank you!!! The large black fish is a pinnatus batfish Ive had for like 5 years, and the pair of green ones are orange spot filefish ive had for around 4 years.

The Filefish. They are awsome and it sounds like they are waaay too tough for me to look after!

The Filefish. They are awsome and it sounds like they are waaay too tough for me to look after!

In all honesty it the luck of the draw. THey were no harder for me to keep than a simple clownfish. Actually ive had problems with clownfish so these guys were super easy. THey are always labeled " expert only" , and so is the batfish. Im just saying its nothing I did, and really no great accomplishment on my part - I just got lucky. Like Regal angelfish, or powder blue tangs. I went through more than you want to know before I got one that didn't have problems.

Ok, the only big tank I have not shown yet in this thread is my 210 SPS. And tha't because I haven't worked on it years. So although there is not much in it at this time, what is has been there for 1 - 8 years. The little pink birdsnest is pretty new...I plan on packing it to the gills with high end acro, and nothing else. I would love to get the montiporas out, but im too lazy and they are all over the place.

Basically this sytem is simply a nutrient export facility for the attatched 125 clam/nps that sits besides it. All the heavy feeding in that tank gets diluted (when I let it) into this one, which keeps things super duper. Im looking forward to showing some nice progression shots in the future, now that I got my lighting set.

sps423.jpg

sps4232.jpg

sps4233.jpg

jedimasterben

Did you know that you, basically, single-handedly started my love for anthias?

Also, I would absolutely love to see what you could do starting with a 'clean' tank (not the whole system, just this tank). Dry rock from like Reefcleaners, dry sand, and scrape the shit out of the tank and make it look as bare as possible.

jedimaster1138

Also, I would absolutely love to see what you could do starting with a 'clean' tank (not the whole system, just this tank). Dry rock from like Reefcleaners, dry sand, and scrape the shit out of the tank and make it look as bare as possible.

/hijack

Ben, after the wedding and all that I plan on adding some fish...namely anthias. I'm mostly leaning towards a mixed harem of 3x Ignitius and 3x Evansi. I like the look and temperament of both, but have read that the Evansi are a little more difficult to feed.One of the proven ways to get them feeding though is to mix them with another anthias species...there's apparently a monkey see, monkey do thing. Anyway, yeah. Thought you might find that interesting. If you have any advice, feel free. They are all coming from LiveAquaria, that's the only place I'll buy fish.

/endhijack

jedimasterben

I've never actually had issues with any anthias eating. Even with anthias in QT, they usually start eating pellets on day one or two. Lyretail, stocky, Bartlett's, and dispar.

I've never actually had issues with any anthias eating. Even with anthias in QT, they usually start eating pellets on day one or two. Lyretail, stocky, Bartlett's, and dispar.

THose anthias are basically your easy ones. When you get into ones like purple queens, ventralis, or god forbid, the ever elusive pictilis male - youre going to need live foods and a god awefull amount of them.

Jedi1138 mentioned Avansis being more difficult to feed, but I disagree. I have purchased literally 100's of them from DD over the past 20 years and they always ate on day 1 or 2, and they always ate almost anything I threw at them, including flake.

Now If yu want to get into the KILLER I CANT BELIEVE YOU HAVE THEM Anthias, youre talking about species like Ventralis, which DD currently has for about $150 each.

p89378ventralis.jpg

or the all time impossible, white whale - Pictillis Anthia, which ONLY WAYNE SHANG HAS BEEN ABLE TO MAINAIN IN CAPTIVITY.

Ive kept females, but the males are basically impossible.

pseudanthiaspictilisqm.jpg

Divers den will only sell females of this species, which is all you want anyway because unless youre Wayne, a reef caught male simply wont live. The trick is to purchase a harem of females and have patience, because given time one of the fems will actually change sex and dominate the group, and then you can be as cool as Wayne and be the only guy in the world that has one.

All hail Wayne, the official clam and anthia god on earth :bowdown:

Lets see if you can do the same for me when it comes to LED'S!!! So now you REALLY have your work cut out for ya ;)

Archived