Top Shelf Aquatics

BATMANS CLAM CAVE

ZephNYC

So you still think that LEDs don't emit light, which is what clams need to survive?

(LED = light emitting diode)

Hmm, maybe there's a piece of the spectrum the clams need that isn't included in most LEDs? Could be the intensity, but seems unlikely given the beefy LEDs some people use.

We need to conduct some experiments on this matter.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Hmm, maybe there's a piece of the spectrum the clams need that isn't included in most LEDs? Could be the intensity, but seems unlikely given the beefy LEDs some people use.

We need to conduct some experiments on this matter.

LEDs grow all clams the exact same as any other light source using less intensity (because of their efficiency in specific wavelengths). Clams do photosynthesis using the exact same zooxanthellae that corals do (relatively speaking) that use the exact same wavelengths that corals do - heaviest in 430nm, heavy in 450-470nm, and lightly in 660-680nm. That was scientifically proven in the 1960s (and possibly earlier). If they are not provided these wavelengths in the intensities required, the animals under them do not thrive, and some will not survive.

jedimaster1138

LEDs grow all clams the exact same as any other light source using less intensity (because of their efficiency in specific wavelengths). Clams do photosynthesis using the exact same zooxanthellae that corals do (relatively speaking) that use the exact same wavelengths that corals do - heaviest in 430nm, heavy in 450-470nm, and lightly in 660-680nm. That was scientifically proven in the 1960s (and possibly earlier). If they are not provided these wavelengths in the intensities required, the animals under them do not thrive, and some will not survive.

This.

The wavelengths are easy. It's all about intensity (and more importantly, intensity of those priority wavelength ranges that Ben names). If you don't put out enough oomph with your LED's or your halides, or your sun, the clam (or whatever) simply won't live.

That's why my big Dr. Mac maxima didn't live. It needed a lot of light and I wasn't putting out enough (at the time) for that size of clam. If it was a baby maxima (and assuming no attachment related issues, or something else biological like worms, snails, an angry fish) it would have lived. I'm confident of this the more I think about it.

I'm not arguing that halides are great at keeping clams. But I am saying that LED's can, will, and do keep clams.You just have to use them right.

I bet if I had parked my big mr maxima on top of my rocks and tied him down so he didn't fall off, he would have been fine. LOL

So you still think that LEDs don't emit light, which is what clams need to survive?

(LED = light emitting diode)

Dude, I am well aware of what LED stands for, and I have nothing against them at all. I think they're doing a great job on my goldfish bowl.

Just kidding.. LOLLLLLLLLLL. ( I'm good at getting people mad at me).

Seriously though, I have no doubt you can maintain a high end maxima using only LEDS's. However I am sure you are aware that not everyone feels this way. SO who's right and who's wrong ? I guarantee an LED expert, such as yourself, could keep a small planet alive using LED's, but I also know that when you use the term LED's you are talking about a huge spectrum of variables from high end evil clusters, to a Coralife LED hood from PETCO. Im constantly asked by beginners if they can keep clams with LED's only, and I just don't know where to start.

What I do know is they can light their entire 6 foot reef tank with a singe 3 inch bulb and one ballast using halides, and never EVER EVERRRRRR have to worry about if its enough light or not, because we all know it is. I also had to giggle when I found out Dr. Mac uses LEDS on all his corals, but breaks out the halides when he wants to light up his clams. The negative things people complain about with halides (heat, cost) are of zero concern to me. .

So I go on record with the following response.

I have zero experience with LED's therefor I have zero input concerning any debate on their effectiveness. But I use halides. :D

jedimasterben

Dude, I am well aware of what LED stands for, and I have nothing against them at all. I think they're doing a great job on my goldfish bowl.

Just kidding.. LOLLLLLLLLLL. ( I'm good at getting people mad at me).

Seriously though, I have no doubt you can maintain a high end maxima using only LEDS's. However I am sure you are aware that not everyone feels this way. SO who's right and who's wrong ? I guarantee an LED expert, such as yourself, could keep a small planet alive using LED's, but I also know that when you use the term LED's you are talking about a huge spectrum of variables from high end evil clusters, to a Coralife LED hood from PETCO. Im constantly asked by beginners if they can keep clams with LED's only, and I just don't know where to start.

What I do know is they can light their entire 6 foot reef tank with a singe 3 inch bulb and one ballast using halides, and never EVER EVERRRRRR have to worry about if its enough light or not, because we all know it is. I also had to giggle when I found out Dr. Mac uses LEDS on all his corals, but breaks out the halides when he wants to light up his clams. The negative things people complain about with halides (heat, cost) are of zero concern to me. .

So I go on record with the following response.

I have zero experience with LED's therefor I have zero input concerning any debate on their effectiveness. But I use halides. :D

So you were just pushin' my buttons. :lol:

I'll let you know how LEDs do with cultured maximas in the next few days.

_cfimg5153416349841231536.PNG

So I can have a clam before I get LED's someday? :)

Yes of course. Will it live is another matter. People have kept them very high under PCs but it can't be a maxima, it can be a derasa or squamosa maybe. Blue clams need the most light. There are variables to consider.

This is why I'm asking. I plan to leave a space open for a clam when I give my mom my Xenia and fuzzy mushy rocks. I just don't know when/if my tank will be ready and what I need to do to get it there. :)

jedimasterben

PC are just about the same as T5, just looped over instead of straight. The intensity is there but tapers off very quickly unless there are several bulbs, just like T5.

Yes of course. Will it live is another matter. People have kept them very high under PCs but it can't be a maxima, it can be a derasa or squamosa maybe. Blue clams need the most light. There are variables to consider.

Not to interrupt the conversation about led and metal halide debate but I do remember when PC's came out and how people raved about their quality. And if done properly, PCs did keep maxima clams alive and healthy. Just sayin. :)

For example.

http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/1003/macro_maxima.html

I have a 4 bulb (96W) T5 over an 18" deep tank. Probably not enough huh?

That's what I am installing tomorrow. My Maxima will be cooking 8 inches below this light.

Not to interrupt the conversation about led and metal halide debate but I do remember when PC's came out and how people raved about their quality. And if done properly, PCs did keep maxima clams alive and healthy. Just sayin. :)

For example.

http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/1003/macro_maxima.html

165Watts though! The AIOs today don't come with anything close to that these days. My RSM has 110 and the tank is pretty deep.

165Watts though! The AIOs today don't come with anything close to that these days. My RSM has 110 and the tank is pretty deep.

Of course. Just like today's LED DIY setups the PCs back then were able to push a lot more light than people thought or expected. AH light supply were the go to DIY guys. They had the best selection of parts to build your own. I had 192 watts above my 55 back then. I wanted more light and the standard lighting setups didn't do it for me. Wow I miss that tank even though I was a high school kid..... Memories lol

Of course. Just like today's LED DIY setups the PCs back then were able to push a lot more light than people thought or expected. AH light supply were the go to DIY guys. They had the best selection of parts to build your own. I had 192 watts above my 55 back then. I wanted more light and the standard lighting setups didn't do it for me. Wow I miss that tank even though I was a high school kid..... Memories lol

Why did they lower the light output as time went on, do you know?

Zeph, sorry for the thread-nap.

Why did they lower the light output as time went on, do you know?

Zeph, sorry for the thread-nap.

Metal halide was a basic 65k/10k and the brown look was starting to annoy people. So PC was the best and if you had the right reflectors, your tank was among the elite. After a while VHO gained more popularity much like T5 were you could get more variety of colors. Eventually metal halide combo with VHO or Power compact hit it off with clam and sps addicts. Then after a while the only solo pc you could find was in a low end all in one tank or fuge.

jedimasterben

I have a 4 bulb (96W) T5 over an 18" deep tank. Probably not enough huh?

I wouldn't. I would do six bulbs (but don't, you have better light waiting for ya lol). If you keep it up high and centered under the lights it should be ok.

I wouldn't. I would do six bulbs (but don't, you have better light waiting for ya lol). If you keep it up high and centered under the lights it should be ok.

I agree. With 6 bulbs you should be able to keep anything.

Speaking of lighting... my t5 fixture is making an odd noise... constant noise, can't describe it..

Mine used to do that too, when it got old.

New Dr. Mac Clamage on the way, due to arrive THursday. :)

Metal halide was a basic 65k/10k and the brown look was starting to annoy people. So PC was the best and if you had the right reflectors, your tank was among the elite. After a while VHO gained more popularity much like T5 were you could get more variety of colors. Eventually metal halide combo with VHO or Power compact hit it off with clam and sps addicts. Then after a while the only solo pc you could find was in a low end all in one tank or fuge.

Then Halide 14K and 20K bulbs became available, eliminating the need for the t5 combo/actinic's.

Then Halide 14K and 20K bulbs became available, eliminating the need for the t5 combo/actinic's.

Of course. It was a general timeline to Kat's question.

Then T5s and now led and who knows maybe.... Plasma next. :) lol

Deleted User 3

Mine used to do that too, when it got old.

New Dr. Mac Clamage on the way, due to arrive THursday. :)

I might try to clean it again, I do it a lot but maybe theres some stuck somewhere (salt creep). Eveeeeeentually I want to get maybe an LED fixture, and make some sort of arm to hang it on.

PS. YAY CLAMS!.

Archived