Top Shelf Aquatics

Justin's Mixed 9G

Justind823

Anyone missing their worm? I found it crawling around my tank. Please contact me if you are the owner of this worm. Seems to respond to Carlhttps://flic.kr/p/pgReFx'>15275559617_2f60a5aed3_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pgReFx'>IMG_7059[1] by https://www.flickr.com/people/98067070@N03/'>Justind823, on Flickrhttps://flic.kr/p/pykz46'>15462151855_f79ed49209_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pykz46'>IMG_7061[1] by https://www.flickr.com/people/98067070@N03/'>Justind823, on Flickr

Seems to respond to Carl- that made me laugh out loud!

• Like 1

Eat it.

Maybe later

ewwww...what kind of worm is it??? did u start with live rock or dry rock?

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchworms.html

Carl looks to me like a syllid. It is very long for how thin it is. Around 5" or so.

It was all live rock. This is why I look at the tank at night with a flashlight. You see what lurks in the dark!

Carl! Get back in the tank carl!

:lol:

I removed one of those from my 46 gallon last year. I didn't like how fast it reacted to me trying to catch it and how it liked to hop from rock to rock after lights out. The bristle worms never moved that fast.

I removed one of those from my 46 gallon last year. I didn't like how fast it reacted to me trying to catch it and how it liked to hop from rock to rock after lights out. The bristle worms never moved that fast.

Yea it was super quick. I first noticed it when the lights were on actually. I was basting some coral with mysis and I saw a flash of that worm grab a piece. That night I saw it hanging out in the same area so grabbed it.

Ewwwww...yuck! Glad you were able to pull it out of there. Those guys creep me out! They are SMART...or they seem to be anyways :lol:.

I took a few tries! It almost escaped into the rockwork but I caught the end of it with the feeding syringe and sucked it up. I wish I snapped a picture with the worm in the syringe. It was stretched out in a straight line so you could see how long it really was.

• Like 2

Love the new pictures :wub:

I took a few tries! It almost escaped into the rockwork but I caught the end of it with the feeding syringe and sucked it up. I wish I snapped a picture with the worm in the syringe. It was stretched out in a straight line so you could see how long it really was.

I had one like that before. Had to pull the whole rock out of the water and wait for him to drop out! Freaky critters. Nice work with the feeding syringe :).

What did you use the cut/punch out the holes in the veneer? What veneer did you get? And did you just dry brush the heatsink?

I just used a razor blade to cut out all the holes. The veneer I used is known as veneer edging. I can be found here:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-13-16-in-x-25-ft-Birch-Edge-Tape-657608/202843396

I took the veneer edging and applied it to the piece of laser cut acrylic that came with the heatsink. All the little holes you see that I cut out were already cut into the acrylic so it was just a matter of following those edges with a new razor blade. The veneer itself it easy to apply. It comes with an adhesive on the back and with a little heat (I used a heat gun but a blow drier would work fine as well) applied it sticks in place.

• Like 1

I just used a razor blade to cut out all the holes. The veneer I used is known as veneer edging. I can be found here:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-13-16-in-x-25-ft-Birch-Edge-Tape-657608/202843396

I took the veneer edging and applied it to the piece of laser cut acrylic that came with the heatsink. All the little holes you see that I cut out were already cut into the acrylic so it was just a matter of following those edges with a new razor blade. The veneer itself it easy to apply. It comes with an adhesive on the back and with a little heat (I used a heat gun but a blow drier would work fine as well) applied it sticks in place.

Brilliant! I have been wanting to do a LOT of things using wood, including aquarium stuff. This may be the ticket.

Brilliant! I have been wanting to do a LOT of things using wood, including aquarium stuff. This may be the ticket.

Yea go for it! I was skeptical using this stuff on a heatsink since the adhesive is activated by heat. It's been many months now without any problems so I'm happy I went with this.

Yea go for it! I was skeptical using this stuff on a heatsink since the adhesive is activated by heat. It's been many months now without any problems so I'm happy I went with this.

Oh, so you even used the veneer ON the heatsink, not just the acrylic piece?

Oh, so you even used the veneer ON the heatsink, not just the acrylic piece?

Ah no, sorry for the confusion, just on the acrylic piece. The heat does transmit through though if I have the leds bumped all the way up.

• Like 1

So here's the deal.

We've decided to move to NorCal sometime after the New Year. When we first move up there we'll most likely be in a month to month apartment for a few months while looking for a permanent place. I've been trying to figure out how to deal with my aquarium...

Of course, I would love to keep the whole setup the way it is but doesn't seem realistic with two moves in a short period of time. So what I'm thinking right now is either go down to something like my 3G Mini S I used to have with the internal removable aio compartment thing (that way I could potentially remove it and hook up the Mame overflow one day) OR get rid of the whole thing and start over next year.

What do you think? Any better ideas?

So here's the deal.

We've decided to move to NorCal sometime after the New Year. When we first move up there we'll most likely be in a month to month apartment for a few months while looking for a permanent place. I've been trying to figure out how to deal with my aquarium...

Of course, I would love to keep the whole setup the way it is but doesn't seem realistic with two moves in a short period of time. So what I'm thinking right now is either go down to something like my 3G Mini S I used to have with the internal removable aio compartment thing (that way I could potentially remove it and hook up the Mame overflow one day) OR get rid of the whole thing and start over next year.

What do you think? Any better ideas?

Aw man, try to keep it the same! :D Or upgrade, if not. That new 10g fusion kinda has a similar shape as your 9g though it's not much of an increase in water volume. Whatever happens, I'm glad I got to see your tank in person :)

Good luck with the upcoming move!

possible to give it someone local now to take care of it for a few months till you are more permanently settled and then move it over??

That would be nice. Although I don't know anyone who is reef savvy in my area that would be able to take care of my tank. Plus, I don't know how exactly how long we'd be in the apt. before finding a permanent place.

Use the AIO tank IMO.

I think that's going to be the ticket if I want to keep some part of this tank going. I have a few prized pieces that I've had for a long time and wouldn't want to get rid of.

Aw man, try to keep it the same! :D Or upgrade, if not. That new 10g fusion kinda has a similar shape as your 9g though it's not much of an increase in water volume. Whatever happens, I'm glad I got to see your tank in person :)

Good luck with the upcoming move!

Well if I do end up transferring it would be to something that is sub 4 gallons. A true pico like yours.

Glad you could stop by and thanks!

• Like 1

Tank is doing well. Thought I'd post some pictures. I moved some stuff around since last time I posted pictures and moved stuff around even more since taking these pictures. But this is how it looks more or less.
14975597443_b6ed65296a_b.jpgIMG_7148 by Justind823, on Flickr

14975011694_d985f4a3ee_b.jpgIMG_7158 by Justind823, on Flickr

I love these mushrooms
14975010414_0e06be1361_b.jpgIMG_7169 by Justind823, on Flickr

Plate is growing!
14975009894_732dafbbb8_b.jpgIMG_7179 by Justind823, on Flickr

My fan crapped out on my light bar. No surprise since I've had that little fan for 4 or so years. Installed a fancy new one yesterday! It's much quieter than the other.
15410138660_85a507d228_b.jpgIMG_7182 by Justind823, on Flickr

• Like 4