Coral Vue Hydros

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

fredfish01

Because of the significant cost I've decided that I probably won't go forward with it. If there is more interest, I can see what I can do, but for now it's been shelved.

I can understand that. At $30 per cluster, thats not bad as you are approximately replacing one Lumia 5.2 with 4 of these, but that cost probably doesn't include the development costs. $50 is getting up there.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

I can understand that. At $30 per cluster, thats not bad as you are approximately replacing one Lumia 5.2 with 4 of these, but that cost probably doesn't include the development costs. $50 is getting up there.

Right, it does not include any (estimated) costs other than LEDs and final PCB, doesn't include prototyping, mounting, etc.

Let me just butt in here real quick sorry, I know they don't have any usable optics for the K's. I wonder if I can get away with not running any optics on any of my LEDs. I mean I could run them on the violets, whites and limes(if I choose to add them). But I'd be lacking optics on the royal blues, until they(if they do) design an appropriate optic for the K.

jedimasterben

I'm not running any optics on this array and get over 100 PAR on the sandbed at 22" away, and it does not have nearly the power that yours will.

(two clusters of this)

IMG_6944.jpg

IMG_6949.jpg

Awesome. I think I am going to take the lime dive with you and see how I like it. Worse comes to worse I can just leave them off if I hate them. I think they add a unique look.

fredfish01

Right, it does not include any (estimated) costs other than LEDs and final PCB, doesn't include prototyping, mounting, etc.

Sigh. I know approximately what type of cluster I want and I know the price point I'd like to hit, but the two don't seem to match up well.

You know, that makers heatsink looks like one heck of a good prototyping heatsink in that it is easy (aside from all the re-soldering) to swap out leds and change layouts.

jedimasterben

Sigh. I know approximately what type of cluster I want and I know the price point I'd like to hit, but the two don't seem to match up well.

You know, that makers heatsink looks like one heck of a good prototyping heatsink in that it is easy (aside from all the re-soldering) to swap out leds and change layouts.

Yup, that's why I keep a bunch of them close by lol

fredfish01

I'm not running any optics on this array and get over 100 PAR on the sandbed at 22" away, and it does not have nearly the power that yours will.

(two clusters of this)

IMG_6944.jpg

What all do you have in that array? Looks like maybe limes in the middle row and a PC amber and a red in the bottom. Can't tell what the others are.

jedimasterben

I don't know what that strip is.......

The strip is what holds ten PCB together when they come from the factory.
jedimasterben

Two lime, one cyan and two blue, one red. The blue I might be switching to the blue chips that Dave uses in his fixtures, they are very low-nm blues. :)

jedimasterben

Actually, I just tested the 3ups I got from Steves - the blue chips don't have the greenish tint that the last few batches did. I've got them right next to a bunch of royals and some cyan and I can barely tell the difference between the royals and the blue (which is how it should be). This makes this a TON easier.

After figuring that out, I began assembling everything to start epoxying to the heatsinks - but unfortunately, I cannot continue right now. The stars that the royal blue M from LEDgroupbuy have some metal burs on the outer edges of the bottom of them that hold them up off the heatsink. It is from where the stars are stamped out and connected to each other (just bend/snap to break them apart). I'm going to have to get them off before I can continue. Grrrr...

Actually, I just tested the 3ups I got from Steves - the blue chips don't have the greenish tint that the last few batches did. I've got them right next to a bunch of royals and some cyan and I can barely tell the difference between the royals and the blue (which is how it should be). This makes this a TON easier.

After figuring that out, I began assembling everything to start epoxying to the heatsinks - but unfortunately, I cannot continue right now. The stars that the royal blue M from LEDgroupbuy have some metal burs on the outer edges of the bottom of them that hold them up off the heatsink. It is from where the stars are stamped out and connected to each other (just bend/snap to break them apart). I'm going to have to get them off before I can continue. Grrrr...

You mean to tell me I just read through 10 pages of LED greatness and this is the midseason finale? I don't think I can handle the suspense, its worse then waiting for TWD to return!!

but seriously, thank you for sharing all of this. Its been very informative!

jedimasterben

You mean to tell me I just read through 10 pages of LED greatness and this is the midseason finale? I don't think I can handle the suspense, its worse then waiting for TWD to return!!

but seriously, thank you for sharing all of this. Its been very informative!

LOL

I'm heading over to my grandparent's house now to use their grinder, will make it quick and easy - but I probably won't be able to work on this at all today, I'll be working on gettign a flower box cut and put together and filled with dirt. Got a lot of work ahead of me lol.

bdevillier19

Something tells me this flower box is going to be made of extra heatsinks, lit by the plethora of extra LEDs you have around, watered by an apex control, and the water chilled by an extra over clocked PC in the closet. You probably have LEDs laying around like people do pocket change. Lol.

Not that I don't appreciate everything all of our service men and woman past and present have done for us, I really wish the mail was running tomorrow, I really want my LED stuff lol.

Archived