jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Or he just decides to go with a Goldfish Bowl

That would be the most epic trolling ever :lol:

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adrnalnrsh

Ladies and Gentlemen! It is my great plessure to present to you the Jedi-NanoBox-Hybrid-Evil-Cluster!!!

A-Goldfish-In-A-Bowl-1530827_jpg_472x225

jedimasterben

Well, I'm once again blind temporarily, but I have just tested all of the LEDs with the wire extensions and all struck successfully! Huzzah!

Dude don't leave those wires like that. To clean a light for that. When I build wire harnesses for race cars we do offset connections. If you slid the heatsink out, and did offset solder joints you could tuck everything neatly inside the unit. Kinda surprised you didn't do it like that. You should have more then enough space on the sides of the heatsink to organize those wires. Good luck!

jedimasterben

Keep calm and sleeve on :)

IMG_20140528_175906655.jpg

I've got no clue how I shoved that mass into that tiny bit on the heatsink, but I did, and testing everything TWICE it all still works lol. Except the fans, but I think there may be something wrong with my SCW or converter boards.

IMG_20140528_201411845.jpg

I did manage to dick it up a bit, though, but it's the best I can do with the materials (and skill) at hand.

IMG_20140528_204120789.jpg

IMG_20140528_212729425.jpg

Getting a little better with sleeving, though.

IMG_20140528_214440392.jpg

Justind823

I saw that color scheme you came up with in Dave's nanobox thread. Gonna be sick when you get that thing over your tank.

I'm kind of amused by the fact that this build has been evolving for over a year. I can't wait to see it actually fired up before you decided two months down the road to build something else. :lol:

I don't think Ben will be satisfied with any light build.

Ill predict he'll be tinkering his lights as long as he's reefing.

He's fiddling with wires now. I bet he will be putting the drivers and wireless controller inside the fixture. Then he'll be able to run just the power from the color coordinated HLG into it. With cool German color coordinated sleeving. /wink.

jedimasterben

I wish there was a more, uh, elegant way of doing it, and I would, the glue is in there for stress relief on the wires (using 20AWG solid is rough), though I did got a liiiittle overboard with it, though not a lot I can do with it at this point IMHO, unless I were to attempt to remove the glue and put another small length of heatshrink into the enclosure a bit and then glue onto that. Maybe. I dunno. It looks like shit, I definitely dicked it up lol

Go to an electrical supply shop, they should have a black cable relief with a threaded nut end.. we did when I worked for one.. then clean that goopy glue crap out.. ;)

bryant_cord_grips_300.jpg

the ones in the picture will work, but we had smaller ones that were black and looked a little nicer.. the metal ones work like a chinese finger thingy, the harder you pull the tigher it gets, push it all together to get the wires in.. etc..

I've never seen/used this style before but looI think it would look nicer

CG_Series_l.jpg

jedimasterben

I almost got some of those from McMaster-carr, but didn't know what size of them I would need. I'm going to clean it up as best I can, but would rather not string this along for another couple of weeks while I wait for things to arrive, take everything apart, and then reassemble. Depending on how long it takes to try to undick those wires and to get the T5 stuff together, I might be doing final testing tonight...

If I knew you this sentence would be a lot longer with more adjectives, but here goes... Please clean that up. :lol:

I second this post. Please Don't take it the wrong way! We all love ya, but it can look better.

This is my worst fear lol, building this amazing light and having a madusa mess of wires. We all know you can do it Ben. What's another 1-2 weeks when you consider how long you've been doing it. I know it might suck but at the end of the day, if you're not happy with it I know it will probably come down to be redone, and no better time than now.

jedimasterben

I second this post. Please Don't take it the wrong way! We all love ya, but it can look better.

Yeah yeah, you guys are dicks. J/K! :)

This is my worst fear lol, building this amazing light and having a madusa mess of wires. We all know you can do it Ben. What's another 1-2 weeks when you consider how long you've been doing it. I know it might suck but at the end of the day, if you're not happy with it I know it will probably come down to be redone, and no better time than now.

I'm gonna do what I can, but once you get this far into a build and so close to completion, anything that stops you dead in the water quickly becomes something to avoid lol

Yeah yeah, you guys are dicks. J/K! :)

I'm gonna do what I can, but once you get this far into a build and so close to completion, anything that stops you dead in the water quickly becomes something to avoid lol

If u didn't live so far I would tell you to come over. I have all types of ways to fix that. I actually have some real cool stainless steel grommets that would clean that up nicely.

jedimasterben

Yeah, Orlando is a bit far lol. I did go there to RAP to pick these puppies up, though. Thanks for the offer :)

Forgot to post this one last night.

IMG_20140528_232753429.jpg

milfordguy

Just get the light over your tank! If it is driving you crazy after a few weeks then you can order the parts. I've had my light over the tank with wires hanging out of the back since January and it honestly hasn't bothered me. I have every intention of cleaning it up, but when I decide to it isn't the end of the world to take the light fixture down for a day.

jedimasterben

It'll all depend on how wiring the T5 to the 7-conductor cable goes. Dreading that since I can't hide it at all.

milfordguy

Good point, I forgot about that aspect of your fixture. I'm not familiar with T5's, so I don't know how long you plan on it taking

jedimasterben

This is how Deckoz's was done:

20130409_220133_zps6e8e4dc8.jpg

I think what I'm gonna have to do is strip back the 7-conductor cable a few inches, solder the 14AWG solid from the endcaps to each one, and run sleeving over the solder bridge onto the individual wires of the 7-conductor cable, and then from there, when I sleeve the 7-conductor one, pray that the sleeving and heatshrink can physically get large enough to fit over the bundle of sleeved cables.

wire%2520sleeve.png

Oy.

Archived