Cultivated Reef

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

4-crystal LEDs by Semileds use mature technology. We don't see any problem with more than 700pcs, that was been sold till today.

What is the longest length of time you have had these running on anything? The information I had read regarding semileds pointed to a lifespan of around 10000hrs vice the 50000 quoted for luxeon leds. Which I believe works out to a little over 2.5 years using the fixture at 12hrs a day.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the longest length of time you have had these running on anything?

Because it is a new product, first batch of this LEDs was been sold out in the fall of 2013.

I think, 10000 hours - it is mistake. I can make request to Semileds about lifetime expectancy of this LEDs.

By the way, first 1000 working hours show usual result, the same as of LEDs of other respectable manufacturers, including Luxeon. Unfortunately I can't attach file, because it is bigger than 1Mb.

jedimasterben

What is the longest length of time you have had these running on anything? The information I had read regarding semileds pointed to a lifespan of around 10000hrs vice the 50000 quoted for luxeon leds. Which I believe works out to a little over 2.5 years using the fixture at 12hrs a day.

Where did you read that their lifespan is 10K hours?

Because it is a new product, first batch of this LEDs was been sold out in the fall of 2013.

I think, 10000 hours - it is mistake. I can make request to Semileds about lifetime expectancy of this LEDs.

By the way, first 1000 working hours show usual result, the same as of LEDs of other respectable manufacturers, including Luxeon. Unfortunately I can't attach file, because it is bigger than 1Mb.

Dmitry, I have a question that maybe you can answer. Why on all of the SemiLEDs datasheets does it say that they are not to be used or sold in the US?

I feel like he pulled that from one of the disgruntled Steve's led threads, where a customer complained to Steve's about the uv burning the lenses. Steve's supposedly responded back saying the uv leds only have Life rating of 10k hours. But I don't think Steve's sells true semileds any way? right?

Dmitry, I have a question that maybe you can answer. Why on all of the SemiLEDs datasheets does it say that they are not to be used or sold in the US?[/quoote]

Didn't Semileds and Cree get in a patent infrigment lawsuit? Could be because of that?

Where did you read that their lifespan is 10K

Jedi I will look for where I read this, and it also came up in an email between myself and Steve's. Did not get the info from the thread here on nano-reef, but the lifespan is what kind of steered me away. I also find it funny there datasheets don't even touch on hours or lifespan. But if Dimitri has the inside track on the lifespan it would definitely set the hearsay straight.

Dmitry, I have a question that maybe you can answer. Why on all of the SemiLEDs datasheets does it say that they are not to be used or sold in the US?

If I'm not mistaken, Cree believes that Semileds violates some of its patents.

That is correct in October of 2012 cree and semi came to an agreement to end a patent lawsuit, and part of the settlement was that semi would not sell or import into the states.

I also find it funny there datasheets don't even touch on hours or lifespan.

I think it's just because so far there has been insufficient time for the test LM80.

But if Dimitri has the inside track on the lifespan it would definitely set the hearsay straight.

I just asked Semileds about lifetime.
NirvanaandTool

Oh look at that lol, he even spent less than I did on violets and has a much wider spectrum. Those look amazing btw.

Pretty typical.

Ben posts something and then 2 months later upgrades when the rest of us buy the old LED. I bet he laughs at our now outdated fixtures lol

jedimasterben

That is correct in October of 2012 cree and semi came to an agreement to end a patent lawsuit, and part of the settlement was that semi would not sell or import into the states.

So I take it that everyone selling SemiLEDs in the US isn't supposed to be doing that?

So I take it that everyone selling SemiLEDs in the US isn't supposed to be doing that?

I don't think that is entirely true, what happens to their product once they sell is out of their control for the most part. I don't know the legalities of it, but it seems there is always a way around to obtain something. Also the way I understood it was only semileds that were noted to be infringing on Crees patents is what this applied to. But I'm not to sure which products those are. I just know it was the following patent numbers; no. 7,737,459, no. 7,211,833, no. 7,611,915, no. 6,657,236, no. 7,795,623, and no. 7,557,380.

I just received explanation from Semilds representative regard to this question: "All UV and violet LEDs is legal for sales in USA". I think, this fact have simple reason - Cree have not own UV and violet LEDs.

I have also answer of Semileds representative about lifetime of violet LEDs. It is 50000 hours, as expected :)

I hope, tomorrow I'll receive official letter with this data.

jedimasterben

I just received explanation from Semilds representative regard to this question: "All UV and violet LEDs is legal for sales in USA". I think, this fact have simple reason - Cree have not own UV and violet LEDs.

I have also answer of Semileds representative about lifetime of violet LEDs. It is 50000 hours, as expected :)

I hope, tomorrow I'll receive official letter with this data.

Ok, awesome. I would be interested to know what current and temperature the L70 rating is done at.

frankdontsurf

Holy bajeezus, guys, the LIME! IT BURNS THE EYES

IMG_6977.jpg

Whaaaaaa! I can dig it.

How's it look with just Lime and Violets on? Lots of pop?

jedimasterben

How's it look with just Lime and Violets on? Lots of pop?

No violet on my test array, I didn't really have the space on the drivers for enough of them to matter too much. The lime, however, would instantaneously overpower the violets as soon as they strike, so there wouldn't be a point in running the two simultaneously. The above photo is only six LEDs.

NirvanaandTool

I like it. Definitely brightens up the light and seems to mix well with NW/RB. They definitely pack a punch. Interesting that the PAR numbers for the NW and the Lime are pretty much the same.

jedimasterben

Please be informed data for "C" series. Representative of Semileds talked about "N" series have same parameters. But I sure, in real life "N" series will be better due to lower crystal temperature.

attachicon.gifReliability report of C35 HTOL Radiant Power maintenance(20131102).pdf

Ok, awesome. Thanks Dmitry!

For anyone not opening the PDF, basically anything below 400nm has an L70 of ~16K hours, but above 400nm is over 36K hours.

I like it. Definitely brightens up the light and seems to mix well with NW/RB. They definitely pack a punch. Interesting that the PAR numbers for the NW and the Lime are pretty much the same.

They have about the same radiant output. Technically, PAR from the NW should actually be 5-10% higher to account for the blue spectrum, but I didn't want to throw off the numbers too much by just estimating since I don't know the percent of radiant output in blue.

bdevillier19

So now that you have had a chance to play with the limes, how many do you think will be needed to pair up with a vero 10 at 350ma? I was thinking 2 per vero for a total of 8 on their own channel.

Archived