Cultivated Reef

CNCreef Asis Pro 824 LED/T5HO Evil Cluster Hybrid

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

I doubt it, they've had the same diode selection for a couple of years now, and the same awful pricing. It would be cheaper to pay customs and such than to order from them lol.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NirvanaandTool

Talked to Steve's, and they'll have the lime mounted and for sale around Wednesday!

Guess its time for another Steve's order. Just ordered from him not too long ago for optics and wire. Guess I'll order a few limes and tack on some extra wire. Can never have too much wire!

jedimasterben

Guess its time for another Steve's order. Just ordered from him not too long ago for optics and wire. Guess I'll order a few limes and tack on some extra wire. Can never have too much wire!

I agree. My last Mcmaster-Carr order was ~$70 in wire and I need more lol

I remember grabbing three 25ft spools of wire at radio shack telling myself it will last a few projects when i built my light on my biocube. barely enough to finish the light itself.

jedimasterben

I'll be using over 250' just to get wire from the drivers and ballast to the LEDs and T5s, then another ~8' from the drivers to the HLG, and then standard power cords from the ballast and HLG to the wall. Oy.

Oh, and ~10-12' more for the wiring on the T5 in the light itself, and of course that is the expensive wire, 600vdc rated 18AWG solid. The 7-conductor cable that I have that is going from the ballast to the fixture is ~10' and cost me almost $25.

Gotta use the expensive stuff. If you aren't skimping on the diodes, ballasts, drivers, etc. then why skimp on the most important part?

jedimasterben

Not to mention the $85 in sleeving lol. I just don't understand how Dave can build his units by hand in addition to the cost of all of this stuff and still make a paycheck out of it, not to mention taxes, etc lol

NirvanaandTool

I'll be using over 250' just to get wire from the drivers and ballast to the LEDs and T5s, then another ~8' from the drivers to the HLG, and then standard power cords from the ballast and HLG to the wall. Oy.

Oh, and ~10-12' more for the wiring on the T5 in the light itself, and of course that is the expensive wire, 600vdc rated 18AWG solid. The 7-conductor cable that I have that is going from the ballast to the fixture is ~10' and cost me almost $25.

Wow dude. That is a LOT of wire.

That 7 conductor cable sounds awesome though. The sleeving you are getting is sick. I cant wait to see it all finished.

I need to rethink my wiring as I way under-bought on my last Steve's order. I decided after the fact to put all the components (drivers, PS, bluefish) inside a slim home theater PC case to make it nice and neat. Initially I was thinking of mounting almost everything minus the PS on the back of the canopy. So now I need a least double the wire. Woops.

edit:

Limes are up at Steve's! http://shop.stevesleds.com/Philips-Luxeon-ES-Lime-3-Watt-LEDs-LuxLime.htm

$3.25 each. Not bad! At first it was showing up as $9.49 each, almost had a heart attack!

jedimasterben

Wow dude. That is a LOT of wire.

That 7 conductor cable sounds awesome though. The sleeving you are getting is sick. I cant wait to see it all finished.

I need to rethink my wiring as I way under-bought on my last Steve's order. I decided after the fact to put all the components (drivers, PS, bluefish) inside a slim home theater PC case to make it nice and neat. Initially I was thinking of mounting almost everything minus the PS on the back of the canopy. So now I need a least double the wire. Woops.

Thermostat wire, man. :)

But for fluorescents, it takes special wire to do them the right way, and 600vdc 18ga solid is not all that common, especially in multiconductor runs.

A day early! And holy crap they are intensely bright, just at 500 lumens at an amp!

NirvanaandTool

Never thought of getting thermostat wire. Figured I'd go with the 20/4, 22/4 & 24ga wire Steve's has plus the sleeves to clean up the look.

Ah right, T5's... Keep forgetting you have them too.

Yea wow bright. Tempted to order them right now but I want to think about how many to get and where to put them on the HS.

fredfish01

I doubt it, they've had the same diode selection for a couple of years now, and the same awful pricing. It would be cheaper to pay customs and such than to order from them lol.

I started looking around after I posted the link and realized I was looking at US$. CDN$ puts it into silly expensive territory. Damn, would have been a nice option. :(

Is the Rebel lime the same package as the other ES leds Steve's sells: as in, can they be mounted on his 3-up? Is that true of the PC amber ES as well? I think I need to start a "What would you put in your clusters this week" thread...

Edit: More questions. Does anybody know if that 4 up luxeon Z board the same size as the 3-up boards that Steve's uses? I could not find a drawing on the site that sells them.

The lime are available from Steve? Sweet, now I can deconstruct the borealis array's numbers and rework that into Steve's rebel ES selection.

Should be able to save some money that way. :)

jedimasterben

I started looking around after I posted the link and realized I was looking at US$. CDN$ puts it into silly expensive territory. Damn, would have been a nice option. :(

Is the Rebel lime the same package as the other ES leds Steve's sells: as in, can they be mounted on his 3-up? Is that true of the PC amber ES as well? I think I need to start a "What would you put in your clusters this week" thread...

Yes, it is a Rebel ES chip, Steve's only sells Rebel/ES, Luxeon M, and their violets.

My advice is to buy basically everything at once. When you have a build that drags on for six months like mine, things change and I want to use what's newest, but if I had done it all back in December when I started this, then it would have stayed that way (maybe lol).

Edit: More questions. Does anybody know if that 4 up luxeon Z board the same size as the 3-up boards that Steve's uses? I could not find a drawing on the site that sells them.

Yes, they are a 20mm star (and a complete and utter bitch to solder, since their pads are so close together).

The lime are available from Steve? Sweet, now I can deconstruct the borealis array's numbers and rework that into Steve's rebel ES selection.

Should be able to save some money that way. :)

Yep, not too difficult.

fredfish01

Yes, it is a Rebel ES chip, Steve's only sells Rebel/ES, Luxeon M, and their violets.

Good. That gives me some choices

My advice is to buy basically everything at once. When you have a build that drags on for six months like mine, things change and I want to use what's newest, but if I had done it all back in December when I started this, then it would have stayed that way (maybe lol).

My plan is to buy everything and then disconnect from the internet until I'm done. :D

Yes, they are a 20mm star (and a complete and utter bitch to solder, since their pads are so close together).

You mean the soldering I would have to do? As a soldering noob am I heading for disaster if I go this route? For this I would purchase a proper soldering station.

The advantage of these boards is that I could put most of what I want in a mini-cluster on two boards. That assumes that I could get someone like Steves to do the reflow stuff.

Just got an email from jeff of stevesleds saying they set up the site so you can buy the custom 3 ups using limes. :)

All of steves violets are marked as clearance and discontinued. Wonder what he'll do for violets next.

NirvanaandTool

Well now that Steve's has the limes I know what I'm ordering on payday :)

You and me both man.

How many are people thinking about adding to their cluster builds? I'm thinking 2 per cluster right now after seeing the 500 lumens @ 1000mA rating. But now seeing its offered on the 3-ups is really tempting. A 3-up of lime in each cluster would be pretty freaking awesome.

I'm thinking of heading more in the borealis direction in terms of design then splitting it into smaller clusters. But then I'm looking at how to make my new light using mostly smaller diodes for whatever reason that it seems like a good idea in my head for now.

Oh so tempting. It'd be even more tempting if I didn't have to buy a bigger P/S, more drivers, another LDD board and possibly a different controller.

NirvanaandTool

I'm thinking of heading more in the borealis direction in terms of design then splitting it into smaller clusters. But then I'm looking at how to make my new light using mostly smaller diodes for whatever reason that it seems like a good idea in my head for now.

That would be a cool setup, especially if you can DIY it like you were mentioning earlier. Are you thinking a similar mix of LEDs? The Borealis is really heavy on the limes.

jedimasterben

My plan is to buy everything and then disconnect from the internet until I'm done. :D

LOL

You mean the soldering I would have to do? As a soldering noob am I heading for disaster if I go this route? For this I would purchase a proper soldering station.

Yes, they are very tiny and difficult to solder. If you take your time, it's not too bad, but you gotta be careful where all the solder goes.

Just got an email from jeff of stevesleds saying they set up the site so you can buy the custom 3 ups using limes. :)

All of steves violets are marked as clearance and discontinued. Wonder what he'll do for violets next.

Not sure. The Luxeon UV are still way too expensive to sell retail (still don't know how the hell Rapid puts five on their Borealis and sells it for $100), maybe moving to SemiLED stuff, like the N35 or N5-TL.

How many are people thinking about adding to their cluster builds? I'm thinking 2 per cluster right now after seeing the 500 lumens @ 1000mA rating. But now seeing its offered on the 3-ups is really tempting. A 3-up of lime in each cluster would be pretty freaking awesome.

Considering that these are 500lm each at an amp, I would only use two per cluster if running them low. A Vero 10 does around 1000lm at 350mA. These definitely don't need to be pushed hard to be the king of the cluster!

Yeah, but then you're getting away from the evil cluster and it becomes a typical array :)

Oh so tempting. It'd be even more tempting if I didn't have to buy a bigger P/S, more drivers, another LDD board and possibly a different controller.

Why a bigger PS? Aren't you running an HLG or am I making shit up again? lol

That would be a cool setup, especially if you can DIY it like you were mentioning earlier. Are you thinking a similar mix of LEDs? The Borealis is really heavy on the limes.

Keep in mind that they are using the Luxeon Z and not the Rebel ES version. They are probably mid-range binned and at 700mA only put out ~3/5 the light that the Rebel ES version that Steve's sells will do at an amp. While their addition is pleasing, I do think that too much can be bad, but once I get them on Friday I'll figure out what works and what doesn't :)

The Borealis limes are top flux bin at 200lm @ 700mA which is their max current.

The Rebel Limes Steve has are top flux bin at 484lm @ 1A.

I'll only need 10 Rebel limes to replace 24 Z limes.

No, I'm running LDD's with 250w 48v 5.3A p/s from LGB. Currently, if all my LEDs were at max I'd be at 228w and 4.4A. Now given that they'll never see 100% I might be fine adding a few limes on the current p/s. Light is

-28 hyper violets

-8 Luxeon M RBs

-4 Luxeon M 4ks.

-3 LDD-1000H's

-2 LDD-700H;s.

I might be able to squeeze a few limes in there but it seems that might be pushing it a bit on that p/s.

Archived