Innovative Marine Aquariums

Once In A Life-time Nano!!!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Looking good man... are you planning on leaving that peice of loc-line like that?...

BTW... i bought a can of krylon fusion paint today.. it says that its's specificly for PVC and that it is fully chip resistant after 7 days of curing...i may do my spray bar on my next day off... hopefully it won't contaminate the water, but if it does i guess it's better now that later eh?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearing up some... nothing is really opening up huge... but that will come tomorrow... You can get an idea of the initial aquascaping though!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

that heater reminds me... i don't have one anymore... my water is at optimal temp for coral and fish... 76 degrees says my stick-on thermometer...maybe i will measure the temp with a regular thermometer to see how far off the stick-on is...

Optimal temperature for most marine fish and coral in this hobby is around 79 degrees.

The tank is looking a lot better though.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

muy bueno... that makes me miss the two clowns in KY... :-(

I should be goin there next week... i might get a bunch of LR from that lady i was talking about... Bubba (Justin) isn't gonna buy the tank after all... maybe if there is a skimmer i will grab that too... we're thinking about making the bottom left hand tank a fuge/ sump/ wet/dry...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

i got ya Krap... ;-)

"Optimal temperature for Corals is between 70-76 degrees," Dr. Robert J Goldstien author of Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook

Optimal temperature for Fish may be a little higher, but what costs more?

Not trying to shut you down J, i just think that cooler water is much better for a reef tank since:

1) the Dr says so...

2) an organism will die in water 10 degrees too high faster than in water that is 10 degrees too cold...

3) the less the heater is on the better... better yet i may not need one...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Krap.... get that power head out of there... go spend $15 and plumb it in the back with the skimmer...

Reefer_Buddha

a word of advice. Ive used those round o rings on my refugiums and they're nothing but trouble. Id try to find some 3/16" flat ones at ace hardware or a similar store, to avoid leaks.

No offense taken since that book was written 7 years ago.

The aquarium world has made leaps and bounds in the past 7 years. I'd suggest some newer reading material.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

You'll find 79.5 degrees is the median.

Also, those o-rings have a tendency to split and crack and would also suggest trying to find some flat ones at HD or Lowes.

-Justin

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

yeah, they didn't have any flat ones at HD for that size anyway... i used teflon tape and really i used the o ring on the wrong side ... i put it on the bottom side of the glass... i'll pick up two more when i get back to HD... that cpvc/mpt adapter was made for a round o-ring...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Point taken J... i do regress on my previous statement... still i'm going to keep it between 76-79...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Good material BTW... Maybe i'll use a round o-ring and a flat one together with teflon tape... that should keep it sealed wouldn't you say? Plus ther is a ring inside the white female adapter (that sounded dirty) that the lockline/mpt is seated into...

ok I just read all 11 pages and I have a coment and a question. The question is what type of gule did you use on the pvc I was told that you have to ptable glue and I could not find any? Even when I asked the plummber at work. And now the comment, I always thought that when you cure LR that you want all the little things on the rock to recover from there long trip and all the other stuff to rot and and disapre from the rock So wouldnt light be a good thing? I always cure my LR with light and i lucked out on one 10lb peace that i bought It had zoo's on it an 3 mushrooms.:P

uhmmm...doesnt that article that you posted say 76-83? that doesn't really mean pick the number in the middle and thats perfect. unless i misunderstood it talks more about using judgement to keep your temperature at a level that is good, ex. lower in summer and higher in winter in case of power failure keeping in mind metobolic rates and oxygen capacity. also you want to keep in mind what you have in your tank, i just got some red sea xenia and when the temp gets to 80 they start goin south. just curious if there is some other reason as to why you chose 79.5 degrees?

HobokenAddict

In the beginning of this thread, you had a cheap ass hydrometer. You did get rid of that POS right? Please tell me that you upgraded to a salinity refrac..... I had the same one you had, and thought my salinity was good....wtf was I wrong, like it said 1.023 and it was 1.029. If you already did, please ignore my rant. Nice looking start.

YO YO Barbe-

Okay... no new pics of the tank yet... but check THIS out. I went to my LFS and picked up a Coralife 2x65 Lunarlight... you know... the ones with the new built in LED moonlights... the think kicks so much ass its not even funny. Best part? It was 140 with tax and legs! I have more light than I will likely ever need. I also went to my local reef club meeting this Sat, picked up some different shrooms, zoos, and Kenya tree. Updated pics again tomorrow during the "day". Just thought you should know about the new advance in lighting!

Reef temperature in the ocean is around 82*. I find that after 80 degrees, evaporation becomes more of an issue. That's why I try to teeter mine around 79*.

The median calculation was to allow play in the system. If my heater cut off, the tank could drop a comfortable few degrees and be ok. If my heater went nuts, my tank could rise a couple of degrees and still be ok.

The weather where I live is fairly consistant as far as day by day temperature go.

-Justin

Yes, the coral reef is pretty awesome. I'm in sevierville and was just about to make a trip there. After getting a littler annoyed with the limitations of my nano(cube), I've been thinking about the M-Tank. I think I've spent more money/time "modding" than enjoying the tank. Anyway, I'm glad the coral reef is there because I have had some bad experience at the aquarium

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Soon real soon.. my PC went to ####... i just dialed into the wireless network i'm on.. i didn't know that there was no fire wall... and someone miss labled my virus scan it was a version from 2k2 but it was labled 2k4... sorry give the people what they want Krap

Archived