Top Shelf Aquatics

Once In A Life-time Nano!!!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

I'll get around to taking some pics this week. I have another shipment of corals coming today (2 frags of acan lords and 1 frag of acan enchinata).

Update:

My porcelain crab seems to have died. I haven't seen him for a month and just recently, fragments of his shell have been found all around the tank and in the sump (weird). My largest scarlet hermit and blue hermit died as well. All the small ones are fine, so I suppose nothing is eating all them (figured the small blues would be the first to go if eaten). Wondering if the food supply had dwindled b/c the tank has been pretty clean for a month. My tailspot blenny has what looks like a bacterial infection on a patch of his skin. I spent an hour trying to fish him out for treatment, but that was a waste of time. It took the LFS 1.5 hrs to fish him out for me when i bought him.

This spring I plan on upgrading to a 20L tank with a 10g sump. I am considering some Tek Light T-5s too. Am I right in understanding that t-5s (if constructed right, with individual reflectors) produce more light than compacts of the same wattage? I believe the Sun Supply Tek T-5s (24") have 4 or 6 lights @ 24watts each. I thought I read somewhere that they produce twice as much light as power compacts of the same wattage.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whit

Been talking with LFS about upgrading my lighting-- he tells me to wait until the new HO t-5 comes out (these will make PC obsolete) Yes they are suppost to give out more light with less wattage. The Sun teks may already be designed correctly but the current usa nova's that are out now (fit tank well) are not HO..

Im in the process of getting in some SPS--hopefully Friday

Ill post some new pics Sunday

Izzue

I'll take some pics as well.

This week my black clown started taking hosts. He seems to like the torch and bubble corals as well as a big rock of zoos. my orange clown doesnt as much but does seem to be picking up the behavior. I might have to buy them a bigger home with longer tentacles.

I went to the LFS last nite to get some phyto. Ended up with a fungia ($20), 1 cpr acan lord ($15), 1 cpr acan enchinata ($15), 2 nasarrius snails ($3 each), oyster eggs ($25), and phyto ($50). Hopefully the Acans will recover - it would be a tremendous score.

• 2 weeks later...
The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

The tank is looking a lot better.. watch out for salinity changes due to rapid evaporation! Just about every bit of my sps is dying or dead... i wish i could have taken my tank with me to school... my dad realized how complex the hobby is and is taking a bit of interest in the tank... i think when it get situated he's going to add some coral and fish...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have begun my quest for a new tank setup. I recently purchased the 36" Current USA Sunpod with 2x150w 14,000K HQI. I'm quite excited about it.

Now I need to find me a tank.

Nice light :)

Im getting a HOB refugium Thursday to help export nutrients..

My wife would put me in the dog house if I tried to get a bigger tank..lol

good luck Whit

Izzue

Guys,

I'm putting together a new setup and would like your feedback.

Lights: Current USA Sunpod 36" 2x150 HQI

IPI Custom Tank: Prelim dimensions: 36"L x 16"W x 18"H (45g)

Overflow: Center (3"x5"x3")

Refugium: 20g

Return Flow: 350gph via 2 locline outputs on sides of overflow.

Internal Flow: 2 x SEIO 820s with wavemaker.

I am planning on keeping a bit of everything. I have LPS and softies at the moment. I'm going to get a clam or 2 and some SPS. Is this light going to fry my LPS and softies or should I be fine? I'll be using the docking mounts on this until I can build an adjustable rack for the light. Do I need to acclimate my corals to these lights (currently have a 130 watt coralife fixture)

Is this waterflow going to be too much/too little? I figure if I put the Seios a bit higher, it won't aggravate the LPS and softies so much. At the sametime, the SPS will be getting extra turbulant flow.

Lastly, is 350gph too much flow for the sump?

Izzue, I'm being very strategic with this purchase. I'm proposing to my girl soon. After I propose, I'll be like "oh yeah, I bought a new tank." She'll be in too good of a mood to protest.

Just went into the LFS and asked about getting a tank built. I'm getting a quote for a 36x18x18 (50gallon) tank. I presume it'll run approximately $240 with the built in overflow.

• 7 months later...

Guys,

Reviving a dead thread I know, but thought I'd post a couple pics of my newer tank.

Ok..i have no idea how to post a pic. I'll get back to tthis tomorrow.

Guys,

Reviving a dead thread I know, but thought I'd post a couple pics of my newer tank.

Ok..i have no idea how to post a pic. I'll get back to tthis tomorrow.

You might get more feedback if you start your own thread instead of your ideas getting lost in here. If you need help posting pictures tomorrow, let me know and I will help you out.

• 1 month later...
The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

THIS SETUP IS FOR SALE!!!

I'm not able to keep up with the maint. since i'm at school and rarely get time to mess with it... i hate it... but it will make someone an Exceptional reef

First, if you're interested email me with the subject "YOUR TANK FOR SALE" to dhatten@utk.edu

-18 gallon Finnex Tank

-75 gallon capable skimmer

-Highflow super-efficient ViaAqua pump and custom plumbing

-150 watt Coralife HQI pendant

-72 watt dual compact flourescent fixture build to sit on the tank

-Every supplement under the sun

-All kinds of foods

-30+ pounds of Marshall Isaland live rock

-A few corals if you want (red shrooms, brown button polyps, clove polyps)

-The sand if you want (it would be better to use new sand)

-all the tools (2 hydrometers, magfloat, coralife hand scraper w/ replacement blade, net, 2x 5 gal bucket)

-Coralife dual timer and independant GFCI module

-extra Viaaqua pump nearly as powerful as the other one just less efficient

-Salt, Instant Ocean

-Every test kit you could ever need (dip strips and accurate test-tube types)

-extra loc-line connectors and nozzles

Everything you would ever need to grow nearly any type of coral is here... the tank looks amazing in top condition

-black back

-black plumbing inside the display area

-live rock is still the best looking i have ever found!

-crystal clear acrylic

-bow front design loogs incredible

-this system can handle an exceptionally high bio-load for it's size

-Only the best components used here!

-everything is flawless looking and very stream-line, a very modern look that works great anywhere you place it.

-Closed loop system with all the attributes of a sump and display type system makes for an extremely compact system. all you need is somewhere to set it and an outlet to plug it up... and off you go!!!!!!

over $2000 invested in this system and it can be yours for $900/OBO

Best offer will be accepted by Jan 10th (when i have to go back to school...)

Located in Knoxville, TN... Central to the entire eastern United States... I will deliver halfway to anywhere... or we can discuss 50/50 FedEx/UPS shipping... this could work out to be very cheap if you live near any Catapiller parts dealer as i work for one and we ship huge amounts all over the world everyday at a highly discounted rate!

PLEASE HURRY WITH ANY OFFERS! as i am going back to school soon and it will be harder for me... BUT THAT DOESN"T MEAN I WON"T SELL it AFTER THE 1OTH OF JANUARY!

Send any questions/offers to my email dhatten@utk.edu

Wuzzup BHP...school still kicking your butt...lol

Glad to see your still around...check out my galary of my M- tank, still going strong.

Good luck with the sale

Izzue

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

tHANKS izzue... looking good... can i get a quick review posted here from you on the quality of this tank? preciate it... School is going well.. full ride and i changed from architecture to Bio Chemistry and Molecular Biology last semester... so far so good... How are you doing these days?

feels good to be back!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

I'm not able to keep up with the maint. since i'm at school and rarely get time to mess with it... i hate it... but it will make someone an Exceptional reef

First, if you're interested email me with the subject "YOUR TANK FOR SALE" to dhatten@utk.edu

-18 gallon Finnex M-Tank

-All kinds of foods

-all the tools (2 hydrometers, magfloat, coralife hand scraper w/ replacement blade, net, 2x 5 gal bucket)

-Salt, Instant Ocean

Everything you would ever need to grow nearly any type of coral is here... the tank looks amazing in top condition

-black back

-crystal clear acrylic

-everything is flawless looking and very stream-line, a very modern look that works great anywhere you place it.

-Closed loop system with all the attributes of a sump and display type system makes for an extremely compact system. all you need is somewhere to set it and an outlet to plug it up... and off you go!!!!!!

Located in Knoxville, TN... Central to the entire eastern United States... I will deliver halfway to anywhere... or we can discuss 50/50 FedEx/UPS shipping... this could work out to be very cheap if you live near any Catapiller parts dealer as i work for one and we ship huge amounts all over the world everyday at a highly discounted rate!

PLEASE HURRY WITH ANY OFFERS! as i am going back to school soon and it will be harder for me... BUT THAT DOESN"T MEAN I WON"T SELL it AFTER THE 1OTH OF JANUARY!

DONT PASS THIS ONE UP!!!

Ok folks...

Yall have all heard of FINNEX by now...these are the original M-TANKS !!!!

Acrylic...NO-- "Oh crap my cube cracked"

BHP was my inspiration to start reefing again after a 12 year lay off.

This tank is moded to the hilt so your ready to go.

Very Nice deal

BHP...just a working ...Hospital always busy...hopefully we will slow slightly for Christmas. But hey...Ive got online all day long.

Izzue

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project
Ok folks...

Yall have all heard of FINNEX by now...these are the original M-TANKS !!!!

Acrylic...NO-- "Oh crap my cube cracked"

BHP was my inspiration to start reefing again after a 12 year lay off.

This tank is moded to the hilt so your ready to go.

Very Nice deal

BHP...just a working ...Hospital always busy...hopefully we will slow slightly for Christmas. But hey...Ive got online all day long.

Izzue

Thanks! how much would you say you have in your system.. $$$...

what kind of work do you do at the hospital?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-18 gallon Finnex M-Tank

-All kinds of foods

-Salt, Instant Ocean

-I would also be willing to sell the stand that the tank is on... it is an extremely sturdy dresser (3 large drawers) with a hard stain resistant laminate top. it is approximatly 30" wide x 22" deep x 3'+ high... i belive it is oak with a medium stain.

-black back

-crystal clear acrylic

PICTURES COMING SOON!

DONT PASS THIS ONE UP!!!

Hey BHP

I would say 2 thou...even though I havent upgraded to MH

I had a brain fart the other day and water spilled out of the refugium and burned

out my chiller/heater located on floor under it omgomgomg

Im a Medical Technologist...been Med Teching since 1990.

I do sendouts at the Major Hospital I work in...no running instruments maintence or STATS...All testing that is either to complicated to perform in house or theres just not enough request for the test...we send those out to 4 Major reference labs in the US

Izzue

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Sorry, i have lost all the thousands of pictures i have of this tank... check the "member's aquariums" forum for information on the history of the tank... izzue and a few of the most recent posters have the same tank with a similar set up... there is A LOT of information there, but here are some pictures that i had in my gallery of the tank near it's prime... pre-HQI lighting and higher flow pump... i will take pictures of everything this evening and have them up by tomorrow so people can see exactly what they will get... no disappointments, i promise.. check back tomorrow for sure...

7698100_full_extension.jpg

7698Full_Tank2.jpg

7698tank6-19-05_021.jpg

Here are some photos from Izzue and his M-tank...

GcrabEandstar_002rs.jpg

Finnex_003ns.jpg

new_finnex_pic_001_rs.jpg

Finnex_001ns_px.jpg

here's some pics of the goods... CHEMICALS and FOODS

calcium

iodine

strontium

ph 8.2 buffer

coral vital

coral-vite

pro-buffer

essential elements

ammonia detox

Stress-coat type stuff (prime)

Herbivore sinking food

red algae sheets

marine gro

nutrafin

crab bites

post-7698-1166842463_thumb.jpg

testing equipment, maintanence eqipment, target feeding supplies, and underwater expoxy

-API TEST KITS-

phosphate

nitrate

nitrate

ammonia

pH

copper

KH

Plastic polish- coarse and fine

AquaStyk- grey underwater exopy

floating and Instant Ocean hydrometers

post-7698-1166843308_thumb.jpg

Adding a digital thermometer to the package... and something i never knew about this system... as it runs now, the temp only changes 2-3 degrees throughout the day... from 74 to 77... that is impressive considering the volume and the equipment... good news for anyone looking to buy a tried and true system.

• 1 year later...

Archived