Cultivated Reef

Once In A Life-time Nano!!!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Skimmer was loud so i added some more tubing and the new silencer that came with the pump...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Tank from the front... excessive bubbles from the skimmer... sucks, but they'll be gone tomorrow... look terrible.. white PVC pipe sux, as everyone on this forum has varified.. more on that after the pics...

Reefer_Buddha

thats some pimpy piping pertruding from the pump. Save up for more LR. That one piece wont cut it

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Buddah: i know about the live rock give me a break i haven't even had the tank for 2 weeks... :-)

Reefer_Buddha

2 weeks! MY GOD! It should be blowing up with corals by then :P I know man. Its hard starting out, i really hate starting from nothing. I just set up a propagation tank and i hate looking at nothing in there. You're comin along nicely tho. If you get more pieces like the one you have there it will be the beginning of a really good tank.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

thanks man!!! i appreiciate it a lot...

Now... this here... looks like ####e*!!! i have a plan and i think it's a good one.. i'm going to make two holes in the top of the tank.... like so...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

that way i can screw my Lok-Line/MPT adapters into my PVC/MPT adapters, creating a bulkhead... when i get all that done tomorrow, i will glue the peices into position and paint anything that's not in the water with black spray-paint... any objections? what kind of bit do i need? to drill the holes in the acrylic?? Masonary??

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

I'll be messing with my digital camera tonite with respect to what corey0613 has been saying about camera settings .... here is the first decent pic...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

the bulbs...

this rendering needs some revising.. the PC bulbs will be closer to the water... and there won't be a back on the canopy... fans will be incorperated too... maybe tomorrow i will fix it.. after my plumbing extravaganza!!!

Just use high speed hole cutting bits from Wally World or Lowes or HD. They sell a black and decker kit at wally world--all the sizes you'll ever need for 13.88 or something. Just make sure you make a "tape trap" under the hold to be drilled so acrylic bits don't get in the water... fyi... tomorrow is the day for me! I decided I couldn't make to move over tanks until the first... I'll post some pics after work and after the big transfer. Design is looking good.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project
Originally posted by kraphtymac

substitute wait for make

What?!?!?

Cool i hadn't thought about using tape... i was going to drain anbunch of water out and catch the crap with a plastic container... i can't wait to see your tank.. good luck with the transfer... thanks for the compliment... when i get board i will take the back off the canopy and draw some fans in..

i'm thinking two blowing in from the back and to blowing out from the top... sound good?

thanks for the tip!!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

i've gone back and looked at my rock pix... the rock looks so good that i don't think i'm going to put any coral in the tank... just kiding...!!! seriously though... that is one damn good looking rock if i do say so myself...

I'd start with one and one... And if I were you, I'd get a couple of Papst fans. You'll have to order them online, and pay a little (okay, maybe more than a little) more. But they move a CRAP ton of air, and are the quietest things out there. Use these and you don't have the annoying white of a cheap case fan. The money is worth it in my book.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3485479798&rd=1

http://www.silentmaxx.net/catalog/papst_fans_80.php

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

you are right my man... how else would you propose i put a halide above my tank...?? maybe i should post pics of the exsting fixture.. ??? would that help...?

And BHP... I'm gonna have to agree with jmt... I want to avoid a canopy at all cost, b/c part of the beauty of this tank is the simplicity and engineering. If you were to put one on though, I like your design.

I just got another chunk of Marshall today. That bring the total in my 16ga up to 21lbs. of Marshall. I'll post a pic when I get it in the tank.

If you're down in the Memphis area, you need to hit up Kermit's Reef. All through June they have a $5.95/lb special on all of their liverock (including Marshall). Pretty sweet, considering the fact that i ahve been paying $8.95/lb.

They have some *nice* peices too. Let me know if you'll be around here anytime soon and I'll give you directions to the shop.

-Justin

Archived