Innovative Marine Aquariums

Once In A Life-time Nano!!!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

It would be nice if you replaced the T fitting with a SCWD. That way you could get varying output from both returns to the tank.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

yeah that was the origional plan, but man.. i've got the spray bar coming up from underneath the rock and the two nozzles spray almost as hard as a water hose if i wanted to turn them up, plus they are blowing at eachother and the bowfront... so there is some really chaotic water movement, trust me... i've got the water movement down pat, i think... we'll see...

It would look nice with a few unique areas... caves, shallows, maybe a high zone or two. Right now it is pretty homogenous.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

yeah... they will come out in the next rock purchase... i'm trying to build a wall all the way up the back and them i'll get some more peices to accentuate the caves and stuff.. the trigger makes his own though... but i'm going to put one more layer of rock ontop of what's there...

something like this.. (PS)

I'm starting to lean towards the "Islands look". It's so damn hard to aquascape your tank by yourself.

The trigger looks great BTW.

-Justin

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

i want it to look like the base of a reef... ya know... what do u mean by island look...

At first I wanted to go for an aquascape that looked like one solid peice of rock.

Now, i want to split the rock into two piles, with sand in the middle (kind of like 2 islands). I may bring them over and touch them or something, but i dont know.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

oh i see... now that i think about it it would make more sense for me, since i could direct a nozzle towards each pile... we'll see... give me some more details on your halide pedant... i hate to build a canopy... i think it would look bad, maybe a pendant is the way to go for me...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Item Name

1 150/175W HL Metal Halide Retrokfit Kit

1 150/175W Bulb: 175W 10,000K XM

1 150/175W ARO Ballast

1 18G Wire(33ft)

1 Grounded Powercord

1 High Temp Wire Nuts

1 Parabolic Reflector w/mogul Base

1 36W Actinic 03, 16 7/8" -Straight Pin Base

1 Coralife Aqualight Silicon Retaining Bands

2 CF Lamp Clip

Subtotal: $231.41

Shipping: $16.95

Total: $248.36

Whoa, YIKES!

I opted for a 13k MH Bulb, since I'm tired of PCs and knew I wouldn't have room for actinics anyway. So far so good, but the bulb color isn't true yet. The longer it burns, the whiter and more crisp it will get.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

i'm not too... worried about the price if that's what you are yikesing about... i'm going to spend about $400 more dollas on the tank and then i'm going to let it set for about a month and get good and established, then i'm gonna get some frags from the Barbe part of the the BHP...

my to-do list includes: a halide canopy and another layer of LR... i want my LR to be covered in coraline algea before i start putting in corals.. ya know ... start with a blank canvas... after that i'm thinking a coral every two weeks.. i won't get as many hoursin at work during school...

during that month i'm gonna have a strict schedule...

1) Dose Calcium every day

2) Dose Strontium on Wed. and Sun.

3) Dose Iodine on Tues., Thurs, and Sat

4) Run skimmer Fri. - Sun.

5) 20% water changes on Sun. afternoon

6) 10 Hrs of light (6 hrs of halide and 4 hrs Actinic and

10,000k and 2 hrs just actinic)

6-7am: Actinic PC on

7-9am: Actinic and 10,000 k daylight PCs on

9am-3pm: Actinic PC, Daylight PC, and Halide on

3-5pm: Actinic and 10,000 k daylight PCs on

5-6pm: Actinic PC on

Nice, the after is with the MH right? Hey I was wondering if you can make some of those autocad or maya pics for me. It's really simple, I'm designing a tiny desk topper tank and I dont like looking at these MS paint genric lookin "3d" boxes, lol. I'll send you a pm.

Tam

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

yeah man i finished it and emailed it to ya... let me know if you need changes or a blueprint for your build.... the acrylic in the rendering is 1/8th inch thick BTW

hey, i want to say i just got done reading all 14 pages of this thread, and your tank is coming along AWSOME!! I'm doing my own research on nano's b/c I'm going to swipe a lot of things from our main 80gal tank downstairs and you have given me a TON of ideas! Thanks bunches!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

well you're welcome... but i can't take all the credit... a lot of other people have contributed to my tank by answering my questions... if i could start all over again... i would build my own tank, that's something you may want to think about...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Damn... i bought 40 more dollars worth of rock today(4 lbs... 3 rock 1 rubble)...

if i could stop buying rock i could afford that halide... but i still need a little more... i'm going to hold off untill i get my halide though....

i bought the wood... well... most of the wood to build my canopy also...

here is a pic of the new rock and aquascaping... i changed it once between the last update pic and the purchase of the new rock, i just never posted a pic of it... anyway...

Archived