inTank Media Baskets

Once In A Life-time Nano!!!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Small world, I just moved from Maryville in Feb to High Point, NC. Are you in the aviation business?

Do you have a picture of the back of your tank you can post??

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

nope, not in the aviation business (did you work at alcoa airport or something?), and no i don't have a pic of the back of the tank right now i've lost ACAD temporarily (photoshop too).. so i will not be post any High quality pics soon... um... i can try to get a decent angle so you can so the back it's nothing spacial, but it is well designed (especially when it comes to protecting the pumps from running out of water...)

With reguards to Picasso: He has been taken back to the fish store, and the guy is ordering some clowns for me to replace him... (he said he would get in trouble for doing it, and to keep it hush hush, which i thought was pretty cool of him....)

I blew about 120 bones today... here was my intended my shopping list...

-Poly Filter

Here's what i ended coming home with...

-Poly Filter $9.00

-8 outlet (4 controlled) Timer $30.00

-Dropper (to directly feed my corals) $1.00

-Tomato Clown $17.00

---Kent Marine Ammonia Detox

---Kent Marine Pro-Buffer dKH $12.00

---Kent Marine Essential Elements

-5 gallon bucket $3.00

-9 gallons of water $4.50

-Gorgonian $30.00

Worked for Standard Aero on Ross Drive, large employer in Maryville, over 300 employees there.

I am interested in the construction of the filter set-up. I build my own equipment and have been experimenting with an all inclusive acrylic nano tank. Want to see how close I hit the mark.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

oh.. ok well i'm in ky RIGHT NOW... SO I'LL POST A PIC WHEN I GET BACK SORRY FOR THE CAPS...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

here is a macro shot of my yellow gorgonian... (if anyone doesn't know this is a low light coral...)

Does anyone know how fast thes things grow? and also how to frag them... can you just cut off a peice and glue it to another rock?

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

here is my tomato clown... very brightly colored another clown coming this week... maybe a clarki*... the tomato should look great in contrast with the corals i'm going to have...

about the yellow gorgonian, yes you can just snip off a branch and mount it onto a rock.

I have a purple gorgonian which is a frag from the original and it has been living for 6 months now. Unfortunately i'm not sure how to make these corals thrive, the polyps are extended most of the time but the branch is not growing in anyway. If they are all low light corals that could be my problem.

good luck.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Gorgonians are sea fans... they take 100s of years to grow to a 2x2 foot fan (this all that i know about the growth rate...) to you target feed yours?? i'm going to target feed mine... and the rest of my corals for that matter...

I guess im going to snip off a little peice then... my buddy is going to give me some flurescent green shrooms, red shrooms, Star Solyps, yellow polyps, and some xenia.... so i have to give him something in return...

SilverSpurs

Your tank is looking great. I love coming home to find you have posted new pics. Your tank gives me inspiration to do better with mine.

Silver

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

WOW... Thanx a lot man... i enjoy documenting it... i recieve tons of useful info from everyone here... i've only set up one reef tank before, so i learned some of the things to and not to do, but my tank wouldn't be as healthy as it is today if people like reefer buddah and kraphtymac weren't reading and offering advice or questions/comments... i appreciate everything you said, and good luck with your own tank!!!

BTW how far from grand rapids is stearling heights??? Barbe half of the BHP went to high school in GR and has a GF that still lives there...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Update on the tank specs:

Dosing:

-Liquid Calcium

-Pro dKH Buffer

-Liquid Strontium

-Iodine

-K.M. Essential Elements

Lighting: (2 x 36 watt)

-Actinics 8 hr. (soon to be 10, 2 extra hrs to simulate dawn and dusk)

-Daylight 8 hr

-Moon Lights (under construction)

-250 watt HQI Metal Halide Pendant (under construction)

Skimmer:

-Runs only at night

Filter:

-Poly Filter in Rain Trays

Flow Rate:

-860 Gph (with skimmer pump)

-680 Gph (without skimmer pump)

Temp:

-Max. 79 (day time)

-Min. 77 (night time w/skimmer on)

Corals:

-Yellow/Orange Gorgonian

-Yellow Zooanthids*

-Star Polyps*

-Red Mushrooms*

-Flurescent Green Mushrooms*

-Xenia*

* =not in tank yet, but waiting to be fragged from another tank

Fish:

-Tomato Clown

-Clarki Clown* or

-Tomato Clown*

* =not in tank yet, but waiting to be transported from another tank

Inverts:

-1 Mithrax/ Emrald Crab

-1 Mexican Turbo Snail

-1 Astrea Snail

Live Rock:

-18 Lbs

-Marshall Island (1 peice of Fiji)

Live Sand:

-15 Lbs

PH:

SilverSpurs

Well, Grand Rapids is on the west side of the state and I am on the east side of the state. Sterling Heights is actually considered a suburb of Detroit even though there are many cities and miles between here and the Motor City.

I too have learned quite a bit on my first tank that is such a dissappointment to me right now. I really want to get a new tank and put to use all of the knowledge I have attained by watching tanks like yours take shape. There are several threads that I have been following over the last couple of months, and I can't wait to put my knowledge to good use. I need to be patient though, I am moving next summer and I really don't want to have to break down another tank.... my last move almost destroyed my entire tank because of a misunderstanding with the electric company!!

I may need to upgrade though - my BF is really excited about this hobby too and he really wants to build a huge tank into the wall of our new house next summer! I want to start off smaller though, but who knows, perhaps I'll be on Reef Central before long

Silver

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

haha... yeah i know about building tanks into the wall... check out my first sw tank here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=30306

that's how i got into the hobby, my best freind and i had one FW tank (bottom right tank on the thread), and he was really set on having a SW tank, because he liked the fish better... so we talked and planned... then one day he came home with the tank and the next day we went and got the wood for the frame... that was a great experience... the tank looks great now a days... it's been about 5 months up and running, lots of corals and beatufil coraline.... well you can read about it for your self, but that tank has been great.... i'm going to be getting some frags from him around labor day... we've really investigated setting up a 125 gallon tank, but no matter how we figure the price, it's too too much... i love my tank... it's big enough to do any mods i want without complication and the front "glass" is wonderful for taking pictures, and obviously it's big enough for the fish and corals i want in it...

that reminds me... i need to take a picture of the back of the tank for someone...

But seriously consider the finnex tanks.. there is a 32 gallon if you'd like something bigger than 18... i may one day upgrade too, but i'm going to have to get this one absolutly full of stuff first...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

haha.. i gues i could take that off... i'm not going to build the canopy...

thanks for reading... that's a lot of reading!!!! at least there are pics right?

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

i got a Purple Fire Fish Goby today!!! it was the replacement for my trigger.... it had a rough day.... when i first put it into the tank... i guess the clown was getting a little too close for comfort... he was darting around... well, i went to the bathroom to dump the water from the bag and when i came back and put the lights on the tank i found that there was to firefish!!!! he was lying on the floor!!! i quickly scooped him back into the tank he still tried to jump out!!! so i watched him for a little while and he only tried to jump out one more time... so i put the plastic from my lights right on top of the tank... Problem solved... i hope he makes it through the weekend!!!...

the trigger cost me $22

the goby was listed at $29 (only LFS so they can jack the prices up)

now the lfs is selling my trigger for $45!!!

everyone wins...!!!

OH!!! i almost forgot they gave me a job too!!! no more working long hrs at DQ for fish... !!! i start monday...

that's not a purple firefish. it's just a regular firefish :P looks like you got a healthy looking one too

this is a purple firefish:

EFireDartfish2_B.jpg

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

your right the purple firefish was what i had asked for, but the fish didn't come in on the shippment... that ones not mine... didn't have the digital camera to take a pic of him...

Archived