inTank Media Baskets

Once In A Life-time Nano!!!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

with regards to it being an algae forest, i was just kidding... it is grape caulerpa, indeed it is macro algae... of course it's a real plant, if anyone here has fake plants in their reef tank, get the f**k out... ;-) !!!!

yeah, youre gonna wanna get rid of the algae. Its will take over your tank, well...right about now actually. Better go check.

But really, it grows completely too fast, and once it roots in your rocks, you will have a hell of a time getting it out.

Grape is the worst kind you can have. If you want macro, look into a different type. One that is a slower grower and less dominant in your tank.

I could not remain silent anymore! This is one Bad Ass thread. Hats off to ya TBHP, you're doing real well. I skimmed the last few pages here so forgive me for asking something that may be redundant, but are you still using the eggcrate cover? It accomplishes your goal of retaining jumpers while still allowing light to pass through, but it does seem out of place in an otherwise seamless tank set-up.

*The biologist that discovers a reef friendly trigger fish that stays small is going to make a fortune off of us little tank people.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

I still have the clown... i'm not worried about the macro, but thanks for the tip... i had some of the feather looking macro, but my trigger fish ate it.... Bastard.... not really i loved that fish... he got me my job at the fish store... i would never have another one though...

I did, however, flush that emrald crab... he was breaking the tips off of my gorgonian and killing fish.... he's responsible for my fire fish goby....

the clown will be leaving though... i'm going to get a percula... also i'm going to get about 8 dwarf blue legged hermits and a bittle star (in about a month; after my halide)

thanks for the complimant on the tank... i don't use eggcrate cover anymore, but i will trim it so that it fits down in the acces hole if i ever do... i may right now, cause i'm supposed to be at school, but i have an ear infection from scuba diving....

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Sorry i haven't posted nay new pics guys... there has been a lake of interesting stuff going on...

Goby died (clown killed it)

Crab got flushed (eating gorgonian)

Found a guy to take the clown

just trying to brighten up the mood around here with the pics.. the regulars haven't been coming around as much here lately...

hi im staring up my second nano with a same tank as urs except its custom made doesnt come with all the stuff i have a 250 w mh 20k a berlin turbo skimmer and the same filter Wet and dry as you i also have 25 lbs of live rock... need more because mine is the 32 g tank... lots of corals thow. Hope to be joining this great thread... oww ya i live in canada GO FLAMES( Calgary is were i live)

also the reason im custom making mine is so in the back i can have three compartments 1 for skimming 1 for filter + media and 1 for pumps.. Reason being is because u have ur 2nd pump in youre skimming section which is why there is lots of bubbles so.. this is kinda what it will look like in the back its draw outa keys what do you expect

(water goes |

over here) |yeah little if no bubbles in pump section

1.skimming |2.filter | plus all the water will be clean unlike the

1.skimming |2.filter | water from your second pump that you

1.skimming |2.filter |installed.... the | is glass... :P :P

1.skimming |2.filter (water goes under)

should work if i custom everything right its just the glass in the back i have to custom... because im getting it from my lfs with the slots in the top left and the divider i cant wait for 1 week...

once again, thats one of the nicest diy projects around ;)

I was wondering how's your water circulation.

I'm going to order (internationally) some plumbing parts like yours, since I like yours so much :P and well... I wanted to know your opinion about it and if you think it will work in a 25 gal

thank u agaaaain :D

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

DUDE!!! i didn't realize you were from chile!!!! one of my best friends is from chile... I wanna come there soo bad....

question: is it a regular 25gallon open top tank, like from all-glass?

my circulation is wonderful... it's close to 800 GPH... and very random... i check it with dye every time i move my rocks just to see...

Darren-Dyna-

that's great that your starting a new tank!!! but your comments about my setup are a bit uncalled for... especially since most of what you said is untrue...

let me give you the low-down...

my current filtration consists of.... TA DA!!!!.. a skimmer.... haha... wow...

now... bubbles are lighter than water.... they float... the output of my skimmer blows right towards the second overflow into the second compartment... my second pump is no less than 10 inches below the output... there are no bubbles in the main tank... the reason that there was once bubbles in the main tank is because the skimmer was not broken in yet... (I only run my skimmer at night anyway)... go figure?...

Now, lets talk clean water... i don't understand how you plan on accomplishing a 0% water by-pass with a wet/dry filter... your still going to be putting dirty water back into the tank.... if you want that[0% bypass], get a fluval 404 canister filter... the only media i have in my system is the pre-filter for one of my return pumps... my pumps are all completely silent, i have a very high flow rate in my 1st compartment and ther is plnety of new-dirty water for the skimmer and most fo the output goes right over the second overflow... one day when i'm board i may buy a power filter, but untill then... i refuse to use my wet/dry filter... (wet/dry sucks!!!) the only point of a wet dry is to build up bacteria for the ammonia and nitrogen cycle.. in a reef tank with LS and LR you'll never have as much bacteria in a wet dry filter as there is on a peice of cured LR... Wet/dry only contributes to accelerated evaporation and high nitrates/nitrites... IMO of course...

Well, i can't wait for you to post some picks... what kind of Halide do you have... DE or SE? good luck with everything... are you designing it yourself? i wish i knew that there was a 32 gallon finnex before i bought mine... you know finex makes a 32 gallon right?

BHP:

NO SH*T? You have to come to Chile! I'll be waiting for you if you come here!

Yes, it will be a regular 25gallon open top tank, and the design will be a little like yours, but I'm thinking to make a sump with a connection between the tank and the sump so I wont see any plumbing in my tank. :P

thanks again! :D

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

i'm not sure i understand, but my plumbing is supported bay the sturctural plastic on the top of the tank... a regular tank obviosly doesn't have one... you could make a support for the plumbing very easily though... give ma diagram or something to see what you mean and we'll work from there...

u see in thr eet in dry i have a sponge filter media, carbon and all when it waterfalls there it will be clean there wont be any dirty water no need for a hob filter im doing mine like a sump..... Oww ya its not a finex mines made of glass and its custom... the thing about the bubbles is i wasnt talking about urs my skimmer is a berlin turbo it makes quite a bit of bubbles so my pumps half to be further away...

and oww ya its a de 250 w no i did not make it it cost me 400 american dollars.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

$400!?!?!?!?! holy hell where did you get it? you got ripped...

i see i've never had a berlin... is your custom tank a bowfront?

pic of halide?

richmondreefer

B H project, Man this is one hell of a thread, just sat down and read the whole thing my eye are bout to fall out of my head, you got some great DIY work in here and a great lookin tank props to ya, your a inspiration to all, keep up the good work

one love

Great Tank! I haven't read any of this thread, but I had a question. I went to go see one of the guys that does the tanks at Monterey bay aquarium give a presentation. I don't have a salt water tank, so I haven't done it, but he recommended using egg crate light panels and zip ties to build a wall with live rock. I've never seen anyone do it on this board, and I was wondering why? Rather than stacking the rocks, you tilt the egg crate diagonally and zip tie the rocks. Get a black color, and once all the corals fill in, you can't see it. You have aquascaped about 85%, why not fill in the rest?

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

thats a great idea man... i may try it on a 10 gallon tank... when my 30 days at the fish store is up i get everything 40% off... HAHA... but i don't think i need any more rock... i like all the little holes and i'm gonna have to have places to put frag rock and what not... plus my rock is so straight up and down it's gonna be hard to get all the corals in there with out starving them for light... but i guess if i did to the egg crate i could stack everything at more of an angle... GREAT IDEA... They acctually make a product for doing that sort of thing, but eggcrate is so much more.... um... FREE...

BTW thanks for the compliment... and i hope you get your tank started soon...

Archived