Cultivated Reef

Once In A Life-time Nano!!!

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

No problem... Umm any specific topic that you are interested in...?

I need some advice on additional filtration... At the moment i have a protien skimmer, fine filterpad under a rain-tray, coarse filterpad under a rain-tray, and a bunch of bio-glass under a rain-tray... I'm wondering if i need any carbon in my filtration system? if i do... i am thinking of an HOB filter with a carbon fitler cartrige...

My other query is directed towards refugiums...how big does it need to be for18 gallons?... i was thinking of building kind of like this...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The_Barbe-Hatten_Project
Originally posted by digitallinx

really nice tank.....looks alot bigger then an 18gal...keep us updated, it should turn out beautiful once it's full..but take your time...

Thanks a lot!!! i also think it looks bigger than 18 gallons, acctually, i only put 15 gallons of water in it when i filled it up... the acctual part of the tank that will hold life is only 10 inches deep... my plans are to get some epoxy and build a wall of rock up the back incorperating verious shelves and caves, but not to let any of the blck back ground show through...

I have concerns about adding LR bit by bit... isn't it possible to start another cycle??? I would like to use the rocks on which my polyps come on as part of my wall, but if i add LR on top and start another cycle, my polyps, and all other corals will die... right?

This is my goal, but on a larger scale... i think this tank is less than 5 gallons...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

I bought a new heater today... 75-Watt Regent... i placed it in the same compartment as my skimmer... I LOVE THIS SETUP!!! no heater or anything in sight...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Thanks for the clarification...

I turned up the power to my skimmer and there seem to be a great number of bubbles in the actual tank... Is this a bad thing?...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

All those bubbles in the tank are gone (yah... they were an eye-sore)... But i have a new question that may be kind of stupid, but is my skimmer putting off too much waste?... and can anyone tell why from this picture.. it is a venturi style skimmer... it has only been running for 24 hrs.... Help please..

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

The whole setup, not including the sand and salt has cost around $300... it retails for around $450...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

No Bubbles!!! Before and after... I'm still concerned about the proper function of my skimmer (as discussed above)... If any one has a picture of their skimmer please post it here so i can determine if mine is adjusted correctly...

To me, it almost seems like the water level in your skimmer is to high. Try to get the water level at the bottom of the cone, and see how that does.

Reefer_Buddha

you want foam coming up the cone into the waste collection cup. You have water coming up way to high into that skimmer. Like i said before, you dont have any bioload so you wont be getting much of anything. Maybe a small amount of white foam.

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Thank you very much.. i was thinking that my self... but i cant... the pump is at the minimum strength it can be at and still pull in air...

Does this look any better guys? I had to use some zip ties to raise the skimmer up a little.. i tried adjusting everything back pressure on the output tube and pump flow... I think this will work...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Thanks... Next topic Will be Water Movement... I'm designing my system right now... I will post my plan asap...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Alright People.. The only bad part about this setup is the water movement is almost non-existant... this is my plan...

Use an Via Aqua 1300 Water Pump (370 GPH and 6ft Max. Head) to feed water from my over-flow box through 1/2" PVC plumbing to a T-Joint where the water is sent via-more 1/2'' PVC to two flared nozzles (Made by those people that make that "Ball-Joint Tubing") place at either front corner of the tank...(I'm going to use BLACK PVC, so it's going to look good) In my plan I placed a ball-valve befor the T-joint, just in case the pump is too strong...

Now, My existing return pump from my wet/dry filter is doing nothing... i had already planned to build my live rock up the back wall and i recently read an article about curing rock...It specified that you needed to have water flow coming from underneath the rock, so i figured for about $2 in parts i could Make a spray bar to sit behind my LR wall and create some water flow up through the rocks...

I'm going to post several pictures so you all can get a better idea of my design...

Please FEEL OBLIGATED to contribute to my design thoughts, concerns, questions, opinions, and modifications are welcome...

Thanks...

Reefer_Buddha

looks like a good setup. Look into getting Loc-Line, its the best for adjustable flow pipe

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

larger wire-frame view... (i realized that other picture was of poor quality)

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

The Lock-Line was what i was talking about... I will need two 1/2'' MPT to Lock-Line ball-joint adapters and two flared nozzles... Do you have any experience with this stuff?... Will that give me enough flexablility to point my nozzles??

Originally posted by The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

The Lock-Line was what i was talking about... I will need two 1/2'' MPT to Lock-Line ball-joint adapters and two flared nozzles... Do you have any experience with this stuff?... Will that give me enough flexablility to point my nozzles??

Hi...

Well all i can say is thats one nice Nano tank that you have there, i'll be doing a bottom spraybar as well i have a thread going about it..

Here is my pic of my spraybar idea, but this may change as to when i get my tank, i rendered this picture with bryce 5, this picture only has the pump and spraybar, there's also another picture of a different idea of a spraybar.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=31456

Regards from Len

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

Thanks... From what i read it sounds like a good way to keep sediments in the front... I was trying to think of a way to keep an equal amount of flow out of all the holes... My idea is to drill smaller holes at the begining of the bar and larger ones as i got closer to the end...

I've seen that post before but i could not find it for the life of me...

Thanks again...

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project

One other thing.. if your into 3D stuff check out my other post in the DIY section... there is a lot of My 3D work in there.....

The_Barbe-Hatten_Project
:P Hey!!! I just found the most beautiful looking peice of LR, so i just had to show you all... The guy at the store didn't want to sell it to me... It's a five pound peice of Marshal Island... this is the first time i've looked at marshall island up close, i thought Figi looked nice, but wow!!! every peice of this MI rock was beautiful... anyway, here it is..

Archived