Pod Your Reef

ArabTanker's Next Chapter - Photo Dump On Every Page

ArabTanker

Hey ArabT.

Waaaay long ago since I last checked up on your tank. Really digging the rock scape :

My friend from Denmark, hows everything going?

Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like it. Some of the rocks got moved around while I was trying to rid them of bubble algae, but I'll worry about it later.

Update your tank thread with some FTS!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright then. I'll have a new skimmer within the next two weeks.

Skip the SCA and go with a RO, Bubble Magus or something similar rated for around 150-200g. SCA's are toys, not real skimmers IMO/IME.

Tested my water and got:

Ca: 490

Alk: 10.1

Mg: 1440

I like to see alk around 8 personally, but if you're not running a low nutrient system its not horrible to be that high.

Anyone know what would cause an increase in Alk?

Water changes, user error or bad test kit

One Spot Foxface is on hold for me this weekend. Going to pick it up at Kat's birthday party.

I've read they can pick/ eat LPS anyone experience this??? I told the wife no when she wanted one recently because of this lol

I 3rd the feeding regularly :).... also lets see a FTS to get an idea on just how bad this algae is....

jedimasterben

Skip the SCA and go with a RO, Bubble Magus or something similar rated for around 150-200g. SCA's are toys, not real skimmers IMO/IME.

After having a (basically) SRO beast, the Bubble Magus beast that you recommended, and now two SCA-303, I can say without a doubt that the SCA has produced the most skimmate consistently. The SRO would overflow at the drop of a hat and the BM I just couldn't tune properly. The SCA just doesn't give a #### :lol:

I've read they can pick/ eat LPS anyone experience this??? I told the wife no when she wanted one recently because of this lol

It's like how there is one Acanthurus out of a thousand that will nip at zoanthids. The entire genus is herbivorous, but you'll have the odd man out if you win the Siganus lottery :)

Do you have any anemones or Lysmata shrimp?

No I dont, why? I do have 2 big pistol shrimp though. If that counts for anything.

I like to see alk around 8 personally, but if you're not running a low nutrient system its not horrible to be that high.

Water changes, user error or bad test kit

I 3rd the feeding regularly :).... also lets see a FTS to get an idea on just how bad this algae is....

A SCA is in my price range, the bigger name brands are kind of pushing it.

I never really understood why people are always trying to increase Alk.

FTS coming up.

jedimasterben

No I dont, why? I do have 2 big pistol shrimp though. If that counts for anything.

Peroxide for the algae, at least to get it killed. Can you remove the rocks? If so, that actually makes it way easier. Just get a spray bottle, put in some straight 3% peroxide, and spray the #### out of the rocks with the algae. Leave them sitting out of the water for a few minutes to let the peroxide really get in there and #### shit up, then you can put them back in like nothing happened. :lol:

If you had those kind of shrimp or anemones, they don't do well with peroxide (at all!) and can easily be killed with even the smallest of doses. Otherwise, dose away - at one point I was dosing almost a liter of peroxide into my tank daily without ill effects on corals or fish.

Peroxide for the algae, at least to get it killed. Can you remove the rocks? If so, that actually makes it way easier. Just get a spray bottle, put in some straight 3% peroxide, and spray the #### out of the rocks with the algae. Leave them sitting out of the water for a few minutes to let the peroxide really get in there and #### shit up, then you can put them back in like nothing happened. :lol:

If you had those kind of shrimp or anemones, they don't do well with peroxide (at all!) and can easily be killed with even the smallest of doses. Otherwise, dose away - at one point I was dosing almost a liter of peroxide into my tank daily without ill effects on corals or fish.

Yes I can take most of the rocks out. Not really something I enjoy-but doable. I usually take coral out with algae on them and dip them in peroxide. How did you dose your tank? Just dump some in?

I would actually be pretty upset if I lost my shrimp haha.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/coipo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150114_190659.jpg.html'>20150114_190659.jpg

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/coipo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150114_190712.jpg.html'>20150114_190712.jpg

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/coipo/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150114_190721.jpg.html'>20150114_190721.jpg

jedimasterben

Yes I can take most of the rocks out. Not really something I enjoy-but doable. I usually take coral out with algae on them and dip them in peroxide. How did you dose your tank? Just dump some in?

I would actually be pretty upset if I lost my shrimp haha.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w31/coipo/Mobile%20Uploads/20150114_190659.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w31/coipo/Mobile%20Uploads/20150114_190712.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w31/coipo/Mobile%20Uploads/20150114_190721.jpg

Jesus H. W. Christ.

Well, at least for the rocks with the nice, flowy tufts if you can remove them, the algae should mostly pull off so you won't have to worry about the dieoff it would create lol.

Yes, you can dose directly to the tank, but the results will be dismal compared to what taking them out and spraying them would do. You'll need to use overall more peroxide and do it over a longer period of time.

After having a (basically) SRO beast, the Bubble Magus beast that you recommended, and now two SCA-303, I can say without a doubt that the SCA has produced the most skimmate consistently. The SRO would overflow at the drop of a hat and the BM I just couldn't tune properly. The SCA just doesn't give a #### :lol:

The SCA for me was impossible to get anything to collect in the cup no matter what I did, no matter how much I fed or didn't feed it couldn't keep up on my 40. The BM's tune just like the SCA and you just have to dial it in right and you will see how much of a joke SCA is in comparison if you get it dialed in right ;)

It's like how there is one Acanthurus out of a thousand that will nip at zoanthids. The entire genus is herbivorous, but you'll have the odd man out if you win the Siganus lottery :)

So Siganus are the ones to go for then?

I never really understood why people are always trying to increase Alk.

noobs lol

Jesus H. W. Christ.

Well, at least for the rocks with the nice, flowy tufts if you can remove them, the algae should mostly pull off so you won't have to worry about the dieoff it would create lol.

Yes, you can dose directly to the tank, but the results will be dismal compared to what taking them out and spraying them would do. You'll need to use overall more peroxide and do it over a longer period of time.

+1 definitely try to manually remove as much as possible. Spray them like Ben said afterwards, as bad as it is doing a little tank dosing probably wouldn't be horrible tho even lol

jedimasterben

The SCA for me was impossible to get anything to collect in the cup no matter what I did, no matter how much I fed or didn't feed it couldn't keep up on my 40. The BM's tune just like the SCA and you just have to dial it in right and you will see how much of a joke SCA is in comparison if you get it dialed in right ;)

I tried pretty hard, could never get it to go properly. Kat's got it now and it's working pretty stellar for her.

So Siganus are the ones to go for then?

Si senor.

Turbo snail. Tuxedo urchins. Vodka.

I have 5-10 turbo snails, a pincushion and a sea hare lol.

Tomorrow I'll take out most of the rocks.

I really need to start my wc station before school starts.

Im so damn confused. I tested water just now.

Ca went up by 35 ppm and alk went down by 2.5 dH. 3 day time span tested at same time of day (give or take 2 hours).

Im so damn confused. I tested water just now.

Ca went up by 35 ppm and alk went down by 2.5 dH. 3 day time span tested at same time of day (give or take 2 hours).

No water changes or dosing?? I'd suspect a bad test somewhere.... do it again.

No water changes or dosing?? I'd suspect a bad test somewhere.... do it again.

Not between the last test and today, no.

I'll try again tomorrow. That increase in Ca is probably just variations in the testing. But idk whats going on with Alk. My toadstool was closed up this morning but other than that everything was fine.

My friend from Denmark, hows everything going?

Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like it. Some of the rocks got moved around while I was trying to rid them of bubble algae, but I'll worry about it later.

Update your tank thread with some FTS!

Heh. Everything is perfect. Since I last popped by, a lot has happened. I went out one night for a drink, and now I'm married and a dad. So, yeah...

From the pics inhere you look to be doing swell :)

I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of bubble algae too. That shit is awful. Trying to get a few emeralds, but LFS hasn't stocked them for a while. Manual removal has not worked for me!

Be sure to put everything back in its right place. It looked AWESOME! :D

I can vouch for Bubble Magus skimmers. Got a cone 3.5 myself, and while it is a little bit noisy, it skims like crazy.

What thread are you looking in? My new thread has a FTS not more than a week or two old

Heh. Everything is perfect. Since I last popped by, a lot has happened. I went out one night for a drink, and now I'm married and a dad. So, yeah...

From the pics inhere you look to be doing swell :)

I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of bubble algae too. That shit is awful. Trying to get a few emeralds, but LFS hasn't stocked them for a while. Manual removal has not worked for me!

Be sure to put everything back in its right place. It looked AWESOME! :D

I can vouch for Bubble Magus skimmers. Got a cone 3.5 myself, and while it is a little bit noisy, it skims like crazy.

What thread are you looking in? My new thread has a FTS not more than a week or two old

Congrats man, thats awesome!

Thank you haha.

The drop tank.

Tested alk again. Got 7.6 again.

Can you get a small piece of that algae with you in a bag on saturday? make sure it's floating in some water.

You want some green hair algae?

Archived