Innovative Marine Aquariums

ArabTanker's Next Chapter - Photo Dump On Every Page

ArabTanker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should I buy more coral or start dosing first. Or buy coral then start dosing. Im bored.
Why do you need to dose? Have you tested anything to see if you need to dose? I have a 30 gallon chaulked full of SPS and all I dose is Kalk.

Why do you need to dose? Have you tested anything to see if you need to dose? I have a 30 gallon chaulked full of SPS and all I dose is Kalk.

I havent tested lately but I think a lot of the problems im having with livestock is instability or alk and maybe ph. Kalk is all I wanted to dose.

I havent tested lately but I think a lot of the problems im having with livestock is instability or alk and maybe ph. Kalk is all I wanted to dose.

Do a waterchange and then test the tank. Test it everyday for a week and see if the parameters drop. Then you will have a answer to the question of dosing. Your corals looking bad or?

Do a waterchange and then test the tank. Test it everyday for a week and see if the parameters drop. Then you will have a answer to the question of dosing. Your corals looking bad or?

The nem is in bad shape, its under the rocks. My birdsnest isn't looking good. Monti caps died. Most of the zoas are doing alright. And my devil's fingers are looking rough. But that could just be a wax molt.

NorthGaHillbilly

The nem is in bad shape, its under the rocks. My birdsnest isn't looking good. Monti caps died. Most of the zoas are doing alright. And my devil's fingers are looking rough. But that could just be a wax molt.

Do you know your mag and calcium levels? I was having alk instability till I got my mag up, alk went up and all seems well.

Do you know your mag and calcium levels? I was having alk instability till I got my mag up, alk went up and all seems well.

Not atm but I can check. What salt are you using?

NorthGaHillbilly

Not atm but I can check. What salt are you using?

good ol reef crystals. I messed with RS pro for a while, but it mixes up hot on everything. I dose kalk at about half strength for my top off and my numbers have been rock solid after getting mag up (top off is dosed every ~15 min throughout the day). Im pretty bad about WCs, so Ive been keeping an eye on mag lately.

Oh, I was going to give you an update on my lighting schedule changes, I upped the MH to 6 hours for these SPS, I'm not sure if it's nessicary but they seem to be responding well. However, I noticed some of my LPS drawing up an hour or so before the T5s go off, so I took an hour and a half off the front end of the T5 timer.

T5s on at 11:30

MH on at 12:00

MH off at 6:00

T5s off at 10:00

good ol reef crystals. I messed with RS pro for a while, but it mixes up hot on everything. I dose kalk at about half strength for my top off and my numbers have been rock solid after getting mag up (top off is dosed every ~15 min throughout the day). Im pretty bad about WCs, so Ive been keeping an eye on mag lately.

Im also bad with water changes. :(. I guess I have to start testing.

NorthGaHillbilly

Im also bad with water changes. :(. I guess I have to start testing.

Things really turned around for me when I did. Im not doing much differently, but having alk stable seems to be the thing that was throwing me off. I usually do a WC every 2 weeks, or around there, about 20%

Things really turned around for me when I did. Im not doing much differently, but having alk stable seems to be the thing that was throwing me off. I usually do a WC every 2 weeks, or around there, about 20%

Even when I do a wc every week my coral are just surviving. I haven't had any thriving colonies in the past 2 years.

NorthGaHillbilly

Even when I do a wc every week my coral are just surviving. I haven't had any thriving colonies in the past 2 years.

I hate to hear it man, Im just getting back in the game, looking back I dont know how my prior tanks survived with my practices. Testing to an OCD level might get you some answers

20% waterchanges always kept my corals happy 10% on Weds 10% on Sunday. Now that I am dosing a little kalk my LPS look awesome and my coralline algae growth is off the hook. Wish I could get my hands on some of that plating coralline algae.

NorthGaHillbilly

20% waterchanges always kept my corals happy 10% on Weds 10% on Sunday. Now that I am dosing a little kalk my LPS look awesome and my coralline algae growth is off the hook. Wish I could get my hands on some of that plating coralline algae.

Ive got some that is starting to plate, Ill see if I can get a decently plating piece and get it to you eventually.

The only way I see myself doing routine wcs is if I make a wc station. But atm im mixing in 5g buckets in a sink.

I have some plating coralline algae. None of them are big enough to ship imo. But when they are ill send some over.

I hate to hear it man, Im just getting back in the game, looking back I dont know how my prior tanks survived with my practices. Testing to an OCD level might get you some answers

Haha. Not enough time in the day to decipher those stupid titration tests. omgomgomg

The only way I see myself doing routine wcs is if I make a wc station. But atm im mixing in 5g buckets in a sink.

I have some plating coralline algae. None of them are big enough to ship imo. But when they are ill send some over.

Haha. Not enough time in the day to decipher those stupid titration tests. omgomgomg

Spend less time at the gym and more time on the tank :lol:
NorthGaHillbilly

LOL, Ive got it down to taking just a few min per test, get the nitrate going and have ph, alk and calcium done before its good. I just gauge mg by the alk, if alk is low but ca is right then I test mag.

Spend less time at the gym and more time on the tank :lol:

Haha. Thats easy. I haven't been to a gym in at least a year. Just working in construction keeps you relatively fit.

LOL, Ive got it down to taking just a few min per test, get the nitrate going and have ph, alk and calcium done before its good. I just gauge mg by the alk, if alk is low but ca is right then I test mag.

Im still not exactly sure how alk ca and mag work. But I'm taking an Environmental Engineering class. Mag and alk are pretty important topics in it. Maybe i'll learn something useful.

Ill test soon and post the results so you or someone else can interpret them.

NorthGaHillbilly

Haha. Thats easy. I haven't been to a gym in at least a year. Just working in construction keeps you relatively fit.

Im still not exactly sure how alk ca and mag work. But I'm taking an Environmental Engineering class. Mag and alk are pretty important topics in it. Maybe i'll learn something useful.

Ill test soon and post the results so you or someone else can interpret them.

Defiantly not qualified to interpret, but they aught to tell you something.

Here are a few of the articles that helped me out

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179702

Theres an advanced aquarium article that was better than both of those, but I cant find it right this second.

Defiantly not qualified to interpret, but they aught to tell you something.

Here are a few of the articles that helped me out

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179702

Theres an advanced aquarium article that was better than both of those, but I cant find it right this second.

Thanks man. Only checked the first link and it helped out. I started snoozing once I got to Ph though. I'll have to get back to it.

Three days ago my clown went carpet surfing. Two days ago my emerald crab died. And yesterday I found my pistol shrimp picking at my now dead BTA.

TGIF?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived