Innovative Marine Aquariums

Veng's 20L - Black Friday Madness!

Veng

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone want some card board boxes? I've got boxes coming out of my ears at the moment.

There is a section of my basement that is usually in a constant state of full of cardboard boxes. The struggle is real. We've been winning recently thanks to trips to the dump... but it takes quite an effort to keep them from piling up.

jedimasterben

There is a section of my basement that is usually in a constant state of full of cardboard boxes. The struggle is real. We've been winning recently thanks to trips to the dump... but it takes quite an effort to keep them from piling up.

I let the same thing happen in my computer/tank room... but then it sucks trying to walk around everything lol. I eventually figured out to just start breaking them down and cutting the up from the getgo and putting them in a big trash bag waiting for trash day out of the way and I don't have the problem :D

Build a fort for the creatures great and small

I like this idea, a lot.

The sump is missing a piece, so I sent an e-mail to BRS asking how they want to handle it. Hopefully it doesn't involve cross shipping this thing.

jedimasterben

I like this idea, a lot.

The sump is missing a piece, so I sent an e-mail to BRS asking how they want to handle it. Hopefully it doesn't involve cross shipping this thing.

Which piece? Likely they'll just have Trigger Systems drop ship it.

I let the same thing happen in my computer/tank room... but then it sucks trying to walk around everything lol. I eventually figured out to just start breaking them down and cutting the up from the getgo and putting them in a big trash bag waiting for trash day out of the way and I don't have the problem :D

They end up in my garage. I prefer to buy things online but that ends up with tons of cardboard generated. We have a recycling bin that I can fit some of it into, but generally I just wait till I have a van load full and will toss it in one of the industrial cardboard recycling bins.

Which piece? Likely they'll just have Trigger Systems drop ship it.

The piece between the fuge and the final chamber that controls water height. It and the thumb screws and the egg create aren't in the box.

jedimasterben

They end up in my garage. I prefer to buy things online but that ends up with tons of cardboard generated. We have a recycling bin that I can fit some of it into, but generally I just wait till I have a van load full and will toss it in one of the industrial cardboard recycling bins.

The piece between the fuge and the final chamber that controls water height. It and the thumb screws and the egg create aren't in the box.

Gotcha, yeah, BRS doesn't carry any parts or anything for them, so they'll likely get with Trigger and have it sent to you.

Gotcha, yeah, BRS doesn't carry any parts or anything for them, so they'll likely get with Trigger and have it sent to you.

Yeah that's what I figured. As long as trigger systems isn't dumb and requires that they exchange the sump as a whole rather than sending parts it should be fine.

So here are the three stains I had in the garage. This is lit with a bounced flash so it's going to show more imperfections in the color matches, but still I don't have a match that's for sure. Also, I should probably clean the banisters....

AihCSkn.jpg

I live in an apartment yo. And sinc eI am moving to a new place with everything new, there are lots of gigantic boxes as well. So after they are empty I cut all the tapes to make them flat again. Then I take packing tape and tape up several together and throw them in the trash room in the building. Same day.

This here is your friend.

2516.jpg

I live in an apartment yo. And sinc eI am moving to a new place with everything new, there are lots of gigantic boxes as well. So after they are empty I cut all the tapes to make them flat again. Then I take packing tape and tape up several together and throw them in the trash room in the building. Same day.

This here is your friend.

2516.jpg

Yeah, in our case a lot of the boxes are too big to fit in our recycling - or at least, won't fit many unless they're cut down. And at the dump where my girlfriend takes them, there's apparently a small "mail slot" of sorts you have to shove them in so they need to be smaller there as well. So usually we need to take the box cutter to 'em a few times first. Though, I think if we have extra recycling we're allowed to leave it in a cardboard box on the street to be picked up for free... so we could probably just leave a box of boxes. Hmm, I'll have to look into that.

​Are y'all talking about the top far right, or the bottom far right? Seems like the top one matches best to me... but I'm a tiny bit color blind so I could be off...

​Are y'all talking about the top far right, or the bottom far right? Seems like the top one matches best to me... but I'm a tiny bit color blind so I could be off...

I think the top right is too bright with the new grain. If the wood had more striations like oak, it would be a possible contender. But we're also accounting for how shiny the bannister is.

More stand progress. The bottom is attached and trimmed. Next will be to do the top. That'll be interesting because it has to be removable if I'm going to fit the stand from the garage and through the front door! I'm thinking I'll use dowels to connect and locate it on the rest of the stand. After I get that figured out and done, I'll move on to making doors and trim for the front. Still trying to figure out when I want to stain/ paint the various parts. Planning on staining the outside obviously, with the top being a black formica. Very resistant to water and easy to clean up salt creep. Inside will be painted using the Behr's deckover non-textured decover system. I figure if it's got the best chance to stand up to the saltwater that will inevitably be present at some point. Going to go a nice grey color to offset the rest of the "louder" components like the sump and skimmer.

Only other thing I'm trying to figure out is where to get / what to use for some sound deadening material. I've got room to put some in, so I want to make sure I take advantage of that.

gnMvz2n.jpg

Curious as to why you feel the need for sound proofing?

My systems have always been extremely quiet. Usually have to open the door and put my head in the stand to hear anything.

My systems have always been extremely quiet. Usually have to open the door and put my head in the stand to hear anything.

The man can hear a rabbit fart.

I dunno, I'm paranoid about it being loud. Bigger return pump, much bigger skimmer, much farther for the water to fall to get into the sump. I think I've done what I need to do with the animalbean setup I have planned, but hard to say for sure. If I can throw a couple of dollars at some material to throw in the sump and it reduces anything that's left, it's worth it to me.

The man can hear a rabbit fart.

You are literally, and legally, deaf....

That must be annoying, lots of rabbits by your place

Wouldn't know. Can't hear them.

I dunno, I'm paranoid about it being loud. Bigger return pump, much bigger skimmer, much farther for the water to fall to get into the sump. I think I've done what I need to do with the animalbean setup I have planned, but hard to say for sure. If I can throw a couple of dollars at some material to throw in the sump and it reduces anything that's left, it's worth it to me.

You are literally, and legally, deaf....

I know, isn't it great!?!

The drain will run as a full siphon which is dead silent

If you went with a DC return , that should be silent as well

Unsure of your skimmer selection (will have to look) I've only owned AC powered skimmers and they have been super quiet

The most likely source of noise will be in the overflow box itself, but as long as you tune it properly you can eliminate that water trickle sound pretty easily.

Archived