ReefCleaners.org

Veng's 20L - Black Friday Madness!

Veng

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought a new test kit, realized the old one was probably long since expired. I'm losing 1+ dKh per day due to consumption. I'm going to manually dose for a little while, but I'm going to need to find a long term solution. I was looking at the GHL doser 2, but seems there have been some complaints about the software. I don't have much interest in paying a premium for buggy software. now I just have to figure out where to put all this. It is seeming more and more likely that I relocate the tank somewhere other than the kitchen counter.

I have a Ghl doser 2 and the software is honestly the easiest thing. You really can't screw it up and if you look at Ghl's track record, it's pretty rock solid. There's a new step by step guide on the Ghl site with pictures that make sure you can't screw up the programming as well.

Still chugging along with my old BRS dosers

Space was the thing that always stopped me from going the BRS route. If I move the tank that problem goes away. I've grown to inherently trust the Apex.

I have a Ghl doser 2 and the software is honestly the easiest thing. You really can't screw it up and if you look at Ghl's track record, it's pretty rock solid. There's a new step by step guide on the Ghl site with pictures that make sure you can't screw up the programming as well.

Thanks for the feedback. There is very little information and mostly searches turn up posts that are a year or more old.

Space was the thing that always stopped me from going the BRS route. If I move the tank that problem goes away. I've grown to inherently trust the Apex.

Thanks for the feedback. There is very little information and mostly searches turn up posts that are a year or more old.

I caught up on your thread just in time for the doser conversation, which is nice because I've been thinking about replacing my cheap Jebao doser. It's OK but the pumps are unreliable and sometimes gets stuck. It's good to hear updated information about the Ghl and Bubble Magus.

I love the BRS dosers but I agree, they take up a lot of space, plus each one is another outlet used up on the Apex. But as long as there's space and outlets available,

I caught up on your thread just in time for the doser conversation, which is nice because I've been thinking about replacing my cheap Jebao doser. It's OK but the pumps are unreliable and sometimes gets stuck. It's good to hear updated information about the Ghl and Bubble Magus.

I love the BRS dosers but I agree, they take up a lot of space, plus each one is another outlet used up on the Apex. But as long as there's space and outlets available,

I don't have outlets available, but 3 BRS dosers and a 4 outlet Apex bar is a little cheaper than the GHL at 340 vs 400$

No problem, there's quite a bit of misinformation out there to be honest. You could probably find a lot more info about it on RC. I mostly picked it because I don't run a full blown controller as of yet, and the standalone doser is wireless out of the box, and takes about 20 mintues to set up, at which point you can fully control the doses from the cloud program they run myGHL. If I needed an ATO or auto water change, this has a built in function for that as well, and the other reason I actually chose it was because you can connect magnetic stirrers directly to the doser and program those to say, stir 2 minutes in advance of each dose. I use that feature because I feed live phytoplankton and it tends to settle between doses.

No problem, there's quite a bit of misinformation out there to be honest. You could probably find a lot more info about it on RC. I mostly picked it because I don't run a full blown controller as of yet, and the standalone doser is wireless out of the box, and takes about 20 mintues to set up, at which point you can fully control the doses from the cloud program they run myGHL. If I needed an ATO or auto water change, this has a built in function for that as well, and the other reason I actually chose it was because you can connect magnetic stirrers directly to the doser and program those to say, stir 2 minutes in advance of each dose. I use that feature because I feed live phytoplankton and it tends to settle between doses.

Any threads in particular I should look at?
jedimasterben

Hey, @jedimasterben, if I move to a 20L sump and give up my fuge, what should I replace it wise reactor and skimmer wise?

Unless the fuge is massive and has a crazy amount of light and flow, then it likely isn't making too much of an impact on nutrient levels. What skimmer are you running now?

For a reactor, I don't think they're so much necessary. I use ROX 0.8 carbon and I think if it was in a reactor it would be too efficient. :)

Unless the fuge is massive and has a crazy amount of light and flow, then it likely isn't making too much of an impact on nutrient levels. What skimmer are you running now?

For a reactor, I don't think they're so much necessary. I use ROX 0.8 carbon and I think if it was in a reactor it would be too efficient. :)

I'm not currently running a skimmer. The fuge is roughly 20% of the water volume of the tank and the light is a PAR38 suspended a few inches off it. I'll trim about a gallon of chaeto every 3 weeks. I've tried growing other things in it, but the light is far to strong and just nukes them. The top layer of chaeto actually generally bleaches to some extent.

So current plans is to move the tank to the center of the circular stairwell. I'll be making a stand that is roughly the shape of a half circle to match the contour of the stairs. It will be ~28" high, 32" deep, and 38" wide. I think I'm going to put a trigger systems' emerald 26 in it for the sump and a 20H for the ATO reservoir. I should still have plenty of room for some media reactors and such. The skimmer section is 8.25″ x 10″ with a water level of 7-9.5". I need to figure out a skimmer for this tank. I'm building this stand to accept a 65 gallon rimless if I choose to upgrade the tank in the future, but for now only plan to move the 20L. I'll also be adding a set of BRD dosers. So I guess the top things I still need to find answers for:

1. Which Skimmer
  2. Which Return pump
  3. Which Media Reactor(s)
  4. And what else should I add now that I'll have the space.

I'm thinking I'm going to get a Coral Vue Technology AC20287 Octopus for the skimmer. Given how nutrient rich and loaded I tend to run my tanks, it seems like the right size for the eventual move to a 65 rimless.

jedimasterben

I had that same skimmer but with a much larger pump (Bubble Blaster HY-2000). With the BB pump, it was too much for the body and I had to valve the output down, but with the stock pump it should be better. It's a pretty good skimmer.

Also look at the IceCap K2-120 or 160.

I had that same skimmer but with a much larger pump (Bubble Blaster HY-2000). With the BB pump, it was too much for the body and I had to valve the output down, but with the stock pump it should be better. It's a pretty good skimmer.

Also look at the IceCap K2-120 or 160.

What's the difference?

jedimasterben

What's the difference?

The Icecap line uses (arguably) better pumps, Sicce brand, but whether or not that alone makes them that much better than the Reef Octopus models I couldn't tell you. The RO 110INT I had was alright, but I like the CoralBox D500 that I have now, though the impellers that fit DC pumps are few and far between, and the ones for the DC2000 pumps will get stuck after a few months.

I love my Octopus but only after putting a neck extender on to keep it from randomly overflowing. Do they still use the bubble blaster pumps? Things are a beast.

Archived