ReefCleaners.org

Veng's 20L - Black Friday Madness!

Veng

Do you have a blow torch?

Yes, I've considered draining the tank and blow torching it off select areas of the rock. I have no idea how my tank would react to the remains. I also know I won't want to get the bits that are encroaching on other corals that I want to keep, so I need a plan of action for those areas, even if I burn off the majority of it.
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Epoxy is your friend. Markalot is doing something similar, and last I heard about that project he is winning the war. Be careful with the palys, though -run LOTS of extra carbon if you smother some of them.

Epoxy is your friend. Markalot is doing something similar, and last I heard about that project he is winning the war. Be careful with the palys, though -run LOTS of extra carbon if you smother some of them.

I've nuked tons of the palys before, the carbon I run seems to be more than enough to keep up with any paly toxins they are generating.

If anyone has mastered running plenty of chemical media it's veng - he got this

Just because I tried to put a keggorator full of GFO on my 20L doesn't mean... oh... wait... maybe it does..... :(

Didn't go after the remaining palys. Just went after the GSP, which took 4 sticks, not just the 3, and I could have used a fifth.... Also needed more glue. Oh well.

Here's about 60 seconds after I filled it with water:

MbBO6Xm.jpg

And after about 10-15 minutes of clearing up:

dnVIt8u.jpg

Still needs some time to settle. What I didn't get a good picture is the valley on the left is about 8" front to back and 4" wide and 2" deep and I had to cover all of it with epoxy. The center right rock is also epoxied the entire back and top of it.

Also, I didn't knock the birdsnest off, despite having my hands in the tank for a ton of time. Then while I'm filling the tank, I managed to knock it off with the hose. >.<

Good luck! I always have minor issues after doing this, mainly the montis, but it may have been be squeezing too much Pally juice out. If water weld works I will follow this exactly.

What are you planning on putting on the cleared area?

And probably should move that bird to a higher spot if possible.

Bird was starting to bleaching, which is why I moved it lower. :(

As to what I'm going to put there, I dunno. I moved some frags of the meteor shower from the overflow for the time being so there's at least something there.

Dang, getting after it- looks good in there - hope everything stays happy for ya!

Drastic times calls for drastic measures, right?

Good luck! I always have minor issues after doing this, mainly the montis, but it may have been be squeezing too much Pally juice out. If water weld works I will follow this exactly.

The waterweld was more of a pain than I thought it would be. When you get it real thin, it tears holes as you're trying to put it down. I thought I could roll it into sheets between a piece of wood and a piece of PVC pipe kinda like dough and a rolling pin. Not so much, it stuck to both. Also, don't try to kneed a whole stick at once, it's really tiring on the hands if you have too big of a batch. Sore hands and bitching aside, it seems to be working good so far.

Bird was starting to bleaching, which is why I moved it lower. :(

As to what I'm going to put there, I dunno. I moved some frags of the meteor shower from the overflow for the time being so there's at least something there.

Drastic times calls for drastic measures, right?

Zoas. Not palys, zoas. Usually characterized by small polyp structure. Nothing encrusting like the cyphastrea. With the zoas if you wanted to put SPS you can just glue them with the frag plu so they will sit higher than the mat of zoas underneath. Or gorgonians although those are rather tall most of the times. Other options maybe an anemone?

Why do I not want something encrusting like the cyphastrea? I haven't noticed it being able to successfully out compete anything or wage any kind of warfare. Should I be?

The waterweld was more of a pain than I thought it would be. When you get it real thin, it tears holes as you're trying to put it down. I thought I could roll it into sheets between a piece of wood and a piece of PVC pipe kinda like dough and a rolling pin. Not so much, it stuck to both. Also, don't try to kneed a whole stick at once, it's really tiring on the hands if you have too big of a batch. Sore hands and bitching aside, it seems to be working good so far.

If I had thought about what you were doing before you started, I'd have given you wax paper or parchment paper to roll between. (sorry babe). My vote is....zoas and a milli. I really want a fluffy milli.

It's already on the back wall, and you have encrusting hard corals on the left and right already. For a centerpiece should be something tall.

Oh, I'll just glue frags down on top of it if it covers everything. It was more of a "toss something on it because why not" rather than a permanent fixture.

Acans have sweepers at night. Pretty much the only reasons I don't have more of them on my sandbed. They're nearly close enough to sting each other now. Occasionally I do find one trying to munch on another.

Archived