Top Shelf Aquatics

Veng's 20L - Black Friday Madness!

Veng

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tuxedo Urchins and a refugium. There's no weekly maintenance or manicuring. There's a lot of crap that will grow in the fuge like GHA etc. I don't know though, after I put in the tuxedo urchins it's really become self cleaning. You can see the mess I was having with algae in my ToTM pictures ( :tears: ) shortly after I got the tuxedo urchins and they've really kept the place clean.

Seriously, I neglect the crap out of this thing. I've long since lost all the SPS so the remaining LPS and Softies are tougher than $h!7 so they put up with the infrequent water changes and constant neglect.

Wow! how many times do u feed that mandarin a day?!

Toddler Tang is the only reason the tank gets fed a cube of mysis per day.

So how the heck do you keep this tank looking so clean? What's the daily or weekly maintenance?

I might clean the front glass if we feed the tank. Might.

Maybe the adventure today should be to pick up another tux urchin and a peppermint shrimp!

Seriously, I neglect the crap out of this thing. I've long since lost all the SPS so the remaining LPS and Softies are tougher than $h!7 so they put up with the infrequent water changes and constant neglect.

Maybe today's adventure should be getting another tuxedo urchin and peppermint shrimp! No?

I don't think another tuxedo urchin is needed, but a peppermint shrimp would be fine. No idea how you're going to wrangle both kids through a fish store by yourself though.

Well, went to Texas Coral Fest today. It was a small frag swap with ~20 tanks setup. Lots of tiny frags, but with some neat stuff. Nothing but actinics, actinics everywhere in that room. :lol:. In any case, place was packed, so I didn't get any pictures of anything. Had the kids there with me which made for a good time. Bought a single frag of neon green birds nest for 10$ (big spender, I know!). Haven't gotten around to taking a picture of it yet, but it's a frag of a neon green birds nest, not sure how many pictures of those the Internet needs.

Great pics - backing the SPS game you planning on adding more?

I don't know. I don't really want the upkeep that's required for any of the expensive stuff. But I really like colored sticks!

I don't know. I don't really want the upkeep that's required for any of the expensive stuff. But I really like colored sticks!

Ya, it can be a challenge and just when you think you got it they turn on you?. It's worth it though- those look like nice pieces and I am sure they will do well for you! Are you running a doser?

Ya, it can be a challenge and just when you think you got it they turn on you. It's worth it though- those look like nice pieces and I am sure they will do well for you! Are you running a doser?

I've run a doser in the past and never had much luck or faith in how consistent it was dosing. I've gone back to large water changes once a month or so with a high dKH salt, I haven't measured in a long time, but I'm probably swinging between 6.5 and 9 between water changes. Bad I know, but like I said, I already killed off the sensitive stuff so it's just the strong that survive my tank these days :P

Sometimes I think people need to remember that the shots people share on the internet are the best of the best of their tanks. People don't share pictures of the algae growing everywhere or their dirty glass. Algae grows and that's fine. Clean it up when it's a problem and move on with life. Don't expect your every day for your tank to be the same as the top 1% of other people's pictures.

Ok, that's it. I'm going to go nuclear on this GSP and some of the paly's I've been fighting. What's the best way, shit ton of epoxy spread real thin and glued down over it?

And before you ask, all of the rock is glued together and embedded in the sand, so I can't pull it and blow torch it. Yes, I've considered it.

Archived