SaltCritters.com

Veng's 20L - Black Friday Madness!

Veng

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:wub: That looks fantastic!

Thanks! Wish I didn't have to go out of town tomorrow. I'm going to try to get the other coat of stain on in the morning before my trip. That'll just leave a couple of coats of poly and it'll be ready to move inside. LFS called and my tank is in, need to go pick it up, but considering delaying it till next weekend.

That stand is looking great! You could go pick up the tank. Don't have to do anything with it....

Oh we tried to yesterday. Veng got to the LFS and helped make a path and then quickly realized that it was NOT the tank we'd ordered. *sigh* Ah well, this gives us time to complete the staining and move the stand inside.

what shape tank are you using? Did I miss this somewhere?

It's a 60 or 65 gallon rectangleish? The stand is that shape because of where we're putting it. We have a spiral staircase and no off the shelf stand will fit. So Veng custom built one.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that is quite a tall tank! It will be a challenge to scape. I will be anxious to see what you do with it. It would make an amazing seahorse tank? JK

Y'all need a new thread

I agree. Just need to find some time to set one up, take a few pictures and you'll get a new thread. Really just wanting to get the stand done and inside before that happens. Realistically, I'm hoping to have another 2 coats of polyurethane (yes, that's right I got one done today!!!) on before this weekend then enlisting some help to move this thing inside.

So clearly there is a new tank in the works. I have the new tank in my home and since well, buying shit tons of equipment and reaching for equipment nirvonia where one can spend money equates to one can ignore matianence, I have been taken back to reality. My previous thought was to transfer my corals, rocks and all to the new tank. Now I am being introduced to this idea of fragging everything off the old rock and moving to brand new gulf rock. Sam I a genius or an idiot. Some days I never know till after the fact in this hobby. But, as always I very much appreciate your opinion as I try to figure this all out.

I support getting new rock - you need more rock anyway. Gulf Live rock will introduce a fresh bacterial profile but the rock can come with pests such as crabs, mantis, aiptasia. I have a couple of aiptasia on some on my shipment and considering the aiptasia issue I had when I tore down the retired tank - I am probably going to keep the holding tank running with a filefish and put all possible aiptasia suspects in there till I see that the fish has cleaned house.

I think Gulf rock is a good choice, plus it adds to the fun to see what grows on it. I got some not so great rock from the LFS and had some fun with a big sponge plus lots of little sponges and some unidentified polyps that seem to be happy enough. if you could score a rose coral that would be icing on the cake.

• 2 weeks later...

Feels like I need a FTS update. Maybe because I've spent most of the last month out of town, maybe because I'm far behind giving one. Don't suppose it matters, enjoy!

waxpufY.jpg

And here's a bonus stylophora shot of the encrustation on the left side of the tank.

acjEZtj.jpg

In other news, I'm commiting to getting the new tank plumbed this weekend, which probably means I'm committing to starting a thread on the new tank. #upgradetime!

Veng that looks incredible as always - how do you manage work, kids, and the tank?? Having an almost 10 month old is keeping me busy on its own!

Wow looks fantastic Veng.....all that growth! Look forward to seeing whatever you have planned.

What bulb combo are you running?

Yeah, what combo? Looks like a t5/LED hybrid? Nanobox? I'm so behind... Sheesh

Veng that looks incredible as always - how do you manage work, kids, and the tank?? Having an almost 10 month old is keeping me busy on its own!

It's actually really simple. Just let everything high maintenance in your tank die and let the weeds grow back in to look nice!

Yeah, what combo? Looks like a t5/LED hybrid? Nanobox? I'm so behind... Sheesh

I'd have to go look for what's in it, maybe tomorrow. It's a Nanobox hybrid in any case. I color balanced it to taste with the LED's regardless of the bulbs in it. I don't think I change them from when I bought it. :lol:

Im super jelly of your brain coral front and center.

Can we see a picture of the tank and stand in the house?

It's coming soon I promise. I want to get it plumbed and then I'll make a new thread with on the tank. I'll put up a photo build log as well. I'm super stoked about how it's all turning out.

Wow looks fantastic Veng.....all that growth! Look forward to seeing whatever you have planned.

What bulb combo are you running?

If Veng is still running the bulb combo that I shipped it with, it's 1 ATI blue+, 1 DD Pro Power Actinic+, 2 DD Giesemann Powerchrome Aquablue+. I think... It's been a while.

Archived