Pod Your Reef

Veng's 20L - Black Friday Madness!

Veng

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:wub:

.What are we going to do tonight? The same thing we do every night pinky, try to take over the tank.

Hrmm, I could have sworn I posted it, but I'm not seeing pictures in my recent uploads. Oh well, here's a picture of Chloe from her birthday party standing on it. It's a coffee table in case you can't tell.

Oh wow, it came out nice.

Sad news everyone: I had to throw out the remaining cupcakes. :( They were all the chocolate cupcakes with vanilla icing. Yuck LOL

Didn't read that, sorry. What now? Pffft never mind, The demise of dessert isn't worth discussing.

Didn't read that, sorry. What now? Pffft never mind, The demise of dessert isn't worth discussing.

You would have been sad if I'd had to do that to a cheesecake because I couldn't eat it fast enough.

Some ones hungry

I think if I actively target fed it, it could eat a cube a day by it's self...

In other news, the urchins have removed all traces of turf algae. Guess I better up my feeding cause the tank's fairly clean. More food is good! I stirred up a bunch of stuff working on the sump today, so tanks a touch cloudy or I'd post a new FTS. I'm amazed at how efficient those guys are, I would have gotten them years ago if I'd known.

I think if I actively target fed it, it could eat a cube a day by it's self...

In other news, the urchins have removed all traces of turf algae. Guess I better up my feeding cause the tank's fairly clean. More food is good! I stirred up a bunch of stuff working on the sump today, so tanks a touch cloudy or I'd post a new FTS. I'm amazed at how efficient those guys are, I would have gotten them years ago if I'd known.

I think someone scared us off the urchins because of eating the pink stuff. Crap, pregnant brain here. Um the stuff that grows on rocks that is typically pink? Yeah I think I recall someone telling us that urchins would eat all of that and we were trying to establish the new rock and needed it to grow.

Wait tails has gets to use pregnancy as an excuse for brain farts? She had better milk that for all its worth. ;)

LOL except that pregnancy brain is a real thing and I really do forget the words to things I know. Even if I just said the word, it can disappear. Veng knows I don't milk it because it frustrates me.

And, now for something completely different. A while back I had inherited my grandfather's carpentry tools. Before he joined the Air force, he was a carpenter by trade, like his father before him. Below is one of the hand planes. They had all been sitting for a while since his decline in health, and they had sat untouched in his garage for a while after that, and a little while longer before I messed too much with them.

GiWCEyqh.jpg

I tried sharpening them by hand with the old oilstones he had, however the stones were cupped, and I'm not very good at sharpneing free hand. The first picture is the result of free hand sharpening I tried a few months ago with the original oilstones.

KuXFbd5h.jpg

I bought a Honing Guide (Veritas MK II, it's well worth the money) and a set of new waterstones and went to work.

Here's the blade after the 220 grit stone:

4RM6UoOh.jpg

1000 Grit:

BasOdLuh.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the 4000 Grit, but here's a picture after the 8000 grit stone. The mirror like finish you get is really cool:

WGPQUvah.jpg

All in all, it's seriously sharp, and cuts through hardwoods now like butter.

Can I put an asternia in it or is too much bio load??

Since I'd measure from exterior volume like tank manufacturers do, it might not even fit on the inside!

Seriously though, it's a great thought. I might have to toy around with a miniture made to look like a rimless tank and stand. Could be fun.

Nice job sharpening that, you should do all my chisels I have sitting in a pile to get around to some day.

You can remove the U cupping with a slab of glass and sand paper. You just rub the stone face down on the glass and wet paper tell its smooth again.

I will build her a randomly sized and shaped tank, glass or acrylic. Veng we need to do this... Message me. ;)

Nice job sharpening that, you should do all my chisels I have sitting in a pile to get around to some day.

You can remove the U cupping with a slab of glass and sand paper. You just rub the stone face down on the glass and wet paper tell its smooth again.

I will build her a randomly sized and shaped tank, glass or acrylic. Veng we need to do this... Message me. ;)

In two days I've managed to sharpen three hand planes. Have probably 3 times that many blades/chisels and such to sharpen. So it might be a little while before I get to them.

I'm aware you can remove the cupping on the oil stones. I need to get some waterproof sandpaper, just haven't gotten out and gotten it.

mini-aquarium.jpg

Untitled-1-2.jpg

If y'all are going to build me one of these, the rosewood stand needs ot be able to accommodate a vortech controller.

miniature+aquarium+fish+fry.png

You're responsible for the miniture equipment!

I am really tempted now though, :lol:

My issue with the stack of chisels is they are new. And so I need to flatten the back as well as shapen them.. Hence them taking for ever,

Well Metro how small a tank do you want? I am thinking I may do a proof of concept tank in a very small scale. Perhaps you can use that,

Archived