Pod Your Reef

Veng's 20L - Black Friday Madness!

Veng

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Papa Veng, still have some acrylic scrap laying around?

I don't think I have any pieces bigger than a 2" square if I have that. I made a surface feeder ring the other day with the last of what I had.

Why, what did you need?

Oh to have that workshop.... There's a lot of tools in that workshop that are worth more than all my tools combined...

Please don't make the desk more complicated... Please. :flower:

Please don't make the desk more complicated... Please. :flower:

I'm not. I'm going to fast track the desk. Well, as fast track as one can with the amount of planing that thing still needs :lol:

Here's another view while it was still in the garage showing the whole thing:

RBYU3nnh.jpg

Need more rods and reels in the background..... Like the baitcaster with a jig ready though....

My garage would have about fifty rods and reels in the background shot... hahaha

What size? I found a little scrap while cleaning up tonight.

13 inches long. 1.5 tall. I emailed glass holes though, and they were surprisingly reasonable. Looks like thye have this stuff sitting around to be cut to size for their overflow boxes. If they don't come through I will ping you.

Need more rods and reels in the background..... Like the baitcaster with a jig ready though....

My garage would have about fifty rods and reels in the background shot... hahaha

Hehe, I think my father in law actually has about 5 of my rods & reels from the last fishing trip I took with him. I've also got like 4 cheap surf cast rods but those are hidden away in the attic.

I actually started a ceder table last weekend. Making some good headway on it, but still lots to do. Took a break from planning the top to work on one of the mortise and tenon joints for the legs. Still needs the shoulder fit, but otherwise I'm very happy with the way this is turning out. Note, the table top is under the leg. It also still needs a bit of planing.

UkDPXKhh.jpg

8HD8eWQh.jpg

Oh, and this is the mess from planing the top. It's about 10-12" deep. Probably less than half done planing on the table too...

KpjTJlEh.jpg

I know I have a bit of acrylic laying around that size if Veng doesn't.

You are going to have enough fire kindling to last you years by the time you finish this project.

Also dremmel's only sort of work with acrylic. They melt it more then they cut it.

That really depends on the rpm and the cutting attachment you use. If you cut too fast you will melt it every time, particularly thinner pieces of acrylic. Personally I prefer to use jigsaw with an acrylic blade if I can but my favorite tool for smaller cuts is a hacksaw with a standard PVC blade.

Table looks sweet Veng, nice job.

13 inches long. 1.5 tall. I emailed glass holes though, and they were surprisingly reasonable. Looks like thye have this stuff sitting around to be cut to size for their overflow boxes. If they don't come through I will ping you.

I KNOW!!! Howz about an overflow cover?

Yeah I prefer a saw too. Most people are going to try and us abrasive cut off disks on acrylic and it just doesn't work well.

I had overflow covers on my tanks after I had something try to climb down my overflow pipe. Turns out its a valid concern as a few months later I responded to a local reefer's SOS about his tank overflowing while he was out of town. Culprit was a very large snail in the drain pipe.

Yeah, abrasives and acrylic don't mix. Even blades you need to be cognizant of how much heat your generating. If your blade overheats it will melt the stuff. I've been a big fan of hane planes lately to clean up sawn edges on acrylic.

My custom acrylic sump was cut with a laser cutter and the edges are gorgeous. Wish I had a laser cutter at home.. They have a few at my work for employees to work on "hack" projects with.. but I think they'd still frown on me hogging them to make things for my personal benefit.

Sounds like I need to pick up a hand plane and give that a try.

Joiners are supposed to work really good too.

Also if you have a local maker lab they probably have a laser cutter you can use for a small fee. I know we have one here I just haven't been in yet to look around. They also have CNC and 3d printers and all sorts of other fun toys.

I've user a jointer when I made my custom sump, it worked well. I think hand plane would be slightly better because its a single cut, but there's nothing wrong with either.

Archived