Top Shelf Aquatics

Zephs Zoo Haus !

ZephNYC

ok. you forced me to post. Major renovations taking place starting tomorrow at the Zoo Houz.

210 is being EMPTIED. all rocks are being removed so I can get the fish out. %99 of all said fish will be rehoused in a new 125. Big Bertha and every single clam I own will be relocated in to the 210. Reason being Big bertha is officially touching both front and rear panels of the 125 she resides in and needs to be in the 210. But Ive had her in there before and the amount of large tangs in there prevented her from fully opening. Not to mention any smaller clams for the most part. So now the 210 will be a monster clam safe haven, with tons of Anthias and purdy little fish that wont bother my women.

:wub: This shot is about a year old. Since I raised the nitrates in this tank the clam has grown well over an additional inch.20120509201523980.jpg

If you buy it for a million, we want a 10% finder's fee. ;-)

Ill tell you what...find me one for real and youve got a deal. :o

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've found the secret to making Zeph appear. Post a pic of a Gigas and 5 minutes later (LITERALLY!) Zeph appears!

I'm going to keep working on the LFS owner for his. He did say there was someone working at growing them out for import in Asia and the stock is currently all 1/2-1" size and they will wait for them to get 3 inches before selling. So if nothing else, it sounds like they'll possibly be more available in a few more years.

I've found the secret to making Zeph appear. Post a pic of a Gigas and 5 minutes later (LITERALLY!) Zeph appears!

I'm going to keep working on the LFS owner for his. He did say there was someone working at growing them out for import in Asia and the stock is currently all 1/2-1" size and they will wait for them to get 3 inches before selling. So if nothing else, it sounds like they'll possibly be more available in a few more years.

This made me laugh...LOL. I have to do a little research and find out why these cultured Gigas clams never make it to market. I know of 2 farms that are said to have been growing them for many years, but none ever make it to the states. Must be some governmental BS....

About 2 years ago LA posted a picture of a small gigas and i baught it. When I received it it was actually a friggin deresa. Go figure...

I've heard many things, I have no idea what's true. I do know they are currently being cultured for their meat in Asia. I have heard it's illegal to import and I've heard it's uneconomical to import compared to their food value. The second one makes a lot of sense to me, if I can sell it for 200$ (or whatever) in Asia for the meat or I can air ship them to the US and they have to compete with a 60-100$ maxima's then you're not going to see any economics to import them. I'll keep my eye out though, there's bound to be a guy taking down his tank at some point.

Exactly. I get offers all the time from people wanting to buy my clam. I even get a phone call every year from the Coney Island Aquarium asking me to "donate" it.

YYEAAAAAA RIGGHHHTTTTTTT I 'LL BRING HER RIGHT OVER. GET THE F OUTA HERE!!!! :wacko:

Just ordered a Copperband butterfly from LA. My Aptasias are taking over from the super heavy NPS feedings. Burghias (sp?) are out of their league. Had to call in the heavy artillery.

Ive been around!! Ive been working on tanks most of the day today. Actually those clams you posted are not available. you teaze. She sent me a link to a young gigas!!

jedimaster1138

Question - how exactly are you going to move Big Bertha? Doesn't she uh, weigh more than I do? And is it attached to something? I just am curious about how it's going to get moved. Either way...OMG.

Unrelated, I'm pretty sure our pre-cana classes are across the street from your house, or close to it. 75th and lex. heh

Question - how exactly are you going to move Big Bertha? Doesn't she uh, weigh more than I do? And is it attached to something? I just am curious about how it's going to get moved. Either way...OMG.

Unrelated, I'm pretty sure our pre-cana classes are across the street from your house, or close to it. 75th and lex. heh

Oh I can lift her out of the 125 on my own, but when I had to lift her from the 210 I needed help because I can barely reach the bottom of that tank. And yea...she gave my dad a big wet kiss. :wub:

jedimaster1138

Oh I can lift her out of the 125 on my own, but when I had to lift her from the 210 I needed help because I can barely reach the bottom of that tank. And yea...she gave my dad a big wet kiss. :wub:

Well I guess that's better than her slamming shut on your hand...or nose. heh

What happened to the nano you were setting up not too long ago?

Ill show you a pic of its current status tonight. For now Im having a hard time convincing my friend this is " for the fish" !!!!

vodkak.jpg

Well I guess that's better than her slamming shut on your hand...or nose. heh

HA! But since you braught it up....interesting fact # 21A on gigas clams is they dont close up much, just a tad at night. Thats what makes her so darn hard to move because even out of water her mantle hangs and flops and makes a big friggin mess and for the most part it scares the life out of me.

LOL thats funny.

Now we can really have a party in the fish room < wink > ;)

jedimaster1138

That would scare the poop out of me too. I don't like the idea of anything flopping around.

HA! But since you braught it up....interesting fact # 21A on gigas clams is they dont close up much, just a tad at night. Thats what makes her so darn hard to move because even out of water her mantle hangs and flops and makes a big friggin mess and for the most part it scares the life out of me.

Archived