Cultivated Reef

Zephs Zoo Haus !

ZephNYC

My understanding is that we here in NYC actually have the highest quality tap in the entire country. I have tested it for nitrates which came out 0.25, and phosphates were there but very low, i forgot ...tested it months ago. Also I am sure the quality is constantly changing, so these numbers are irrelevant, but the bottom line is its good water. Just run it through carbon and a phosphate remover first.

I think Im onto a major breakthrough for successful clam keeping, but I dont want to blow my load too fast ( ok yuk..sorry!!) LOLLLLL.

Im always reading old clam books and last night i was browsing through Knops Clam book and something struck my funny. In short, He said Gigas clams ( which are the only clams I have had LOOONNGGG term success with) are the only clams that can fulfill their basil carbon requirements through filter feeding. Meaning they are far less dependent on light then other species. Basically our clams are dying because they are not able to fulfill their carbon requirements.

I have been vodka dosing two of my systems ( which is basically carbon dosing ) and two of my ailing clams are improving!! It makes sense to me...time will tell. But I am very excited.

Im placing a monster order from Dr. Mac later this week. He has new clams and millions of Lords...so If you see anything you want let me know I can quarantine it for you.

The gym is calling me..I have to work off all those Twizzlers Iate at the movies last night.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 3

I think Im onto a major breakthrough for successful clam keeping, but I dont want to blow my load too fast ( ok yuk..sorry!!) LOLLLLL.

:naughtydance:

I think this statement is scandalous for you Zeph...

jedimaster1138

PM flying at you when I finish this post.

You're right about NYC water, it's among the best in the country, but it's far from perfect. I wonder how much it varies like you said...I bet a lot. Those tunnels coming down from Croton are a mess... I wish my old college roommate still worked at DEP. I could probably get the dirt. He's in Cali now...I bet he still knows people...I might have to shoot him a message.

Were you around when NYC water was getting hit with e. coli back in the day? Man that was a long time ago, I was a freshman in high school I think....so we're talking 20 years ago. But yeah my entire family got violently sick for a week from drinking the water. It wasn't pleasant. It was in the news when it happened. They blamed it on seagulls. I've been in some of DEP's plants...you don't want to know...(or smell)

Yeah carbon dosing sounds interesting. I've been thinking very hard about running a BP reactor in the new tank. I even have one picked out. But I think I'm going to hold off for now...

Maybe...

My understanding is that we here in NYC actually have the highest quality tap in the entire country. I have tested it for nitrates which came out 0.25, and phosphates were there but very low, i forgot ...tested it months ago. Also I am sure the quality is constantly changing, so these numbers are irrelevant, but the bottom line is its good water. Just run it through carbon and a phosphate remover first.

Im always reading old clam books and last night i was browsing through Knops Clam book and something struck my funny. In short, He said Gigas clams ( which are the only clams I have had LOOONNGGG term success with) are the only clams that can fulfill their basil carbon requirements through filter feeding. Meaning they are far less dependent on light then other species. Basically our clams are dying because they are not able to fulfill their carbon requirements.

I have been vodka dosing two of my systems ( which is basically carbon dosing ) and two of my ailing clams are improving!! It makes sense to me...time will tell. But I am very excited.

Im placing a monster order from Dr. Mac later this week. He has new clams and millions of Lords...so If you see anything you want let me know I can quarantine it for you.

The gym is calling me..I have to work off all those Twizzlers Iate at the movies last night.

new stuff. Yip Yip!

Order Number: A2887484
Shipping Category 1: Fish/Corals/Inverts/Tank Cleaners/Algae - Ships from California Item Details: CN-80740 SW - Halimeda Plant CN-80545 SW - Maxima Clam, Gold 1 3/4in. to 2 1/4in.- Aquacultured CN-81592 SW - Flower Pot Coral, Purple (Aquacultured) - Large Shipping Charges:Free! Shipping Category 1 Sub-total: $ Fish/Corals/Inverts/Tank Cleaners/Algae should ship on Wednesday, Jan. 23, and arrive on Thursday, Jan. 24.

Order Number: A2887485
Shipping Category 2: Divers Den/Coral Farm - Ships from Wisconsin Item Details: 011813631 Diver's Den
Maricultured Red Tree Gorgonia [Expert Only] = 0122131009 Diver's Den
Tank Bred Berghia Nudibranch (3 Lot) 0122131008 Diver's Den
Tank Bred Berghia Nudibranch (3 Lot) = 012213008 Diver's Den
Thick Branched Chili Coral Red [Expert Only] =

• Like 2

If I could get more Gigas clams i would, but Im going to start first with the easiest of clams - Deresas. My Deresas all do so amazingly well, they are the only species besides gigas Ive never had a problem with ( EDIT: oh yea..there was that one...). Check this girl out. Ive had her for 6 months now and never the slightest gape. always slammed shut like a virgin on prom night. :P

deresa2.jpg

More on carbon requirements....

Is it no wonder Croceas and Maxima clams have the highest carbon requirements out of all tridacnids ??? and they are nearly impossible to keep. Squamosas have moderate carbon requirements, and are much easier to keep. Deresas and gigas clams have the lowest requiremts for their bodyweight, even though they are bigger. So what we are looking at is the clams with the highest carbon rerquirements are the most difficult to keep. Why has nobody expirimented with carbon dosing ( sugar, vodka...etc) for better clam keeping ?

Either its a no brainer or Im missing something because nobody ever mentions it in any of the clam books. Perhaps even just dosing carbon dioxide would benefit clams. Come to think of it...Wayne Shang uses carbon dioxide for the calcium reactors....HHmmmmmm....

back to the drawing board :blink:

salifertprofitestorgani.jpg

This is not available in the United Stated, but is an insanely helpful tool for successful clam keeping. It is pretty much a measurement of clam food in your water column. And not the kind you would feed them but the kind they will actually consume.

Here is something anyone thinking about purchasing a clam should know. I have been researching the life span of common tridacnids in nature and in aquaria. Did you know a Gigas clam can live well over 150 years ? anyway, i was looking for captive life spans, and SHOCKINGLY came across this info stated by fish pro Bob Fenner.

" I would state with certainty that "larger ones live longer"... And guess that one inchers on mean/average probably only make it a month, 1-3" probably 2-3 months (most are "killed off"), 3" ones probably 4-6 months... Some folks do keep any/all sizes for years... but most "don't make it">

Conclusion - Dont feel bad because your clam died. Its not your fault.

Is this in relation to Gigas only?, cos my little 1.5" clam (think its a Sqammy) is up to 7 or 8 months in my tank.

• Like 1

Also is this a Gigas? was in my LFS for several months somewhere between 1-2 foot size range. reportedly used to spray team members every so often

148876_10151034141526790_150300711_n.jpg

Is this in relation to Gigas only?, cos my little 1.5" clam (think its a Sqammy) is up to 7 or 8 months in my tank.

He was not specific, but Gigas clams are by far the hardiest as they are far better filter feeders than any other tridacnid. I dont really agree with his quote for the most part. Squamosas are the second easiest, Deresas being the easiest of all. Is your clam showing new shell growth ? Thats the best way to determine how healthy it is. Youre doing something right - 7 - 8 months is really great.

Also is this a Gigas? was in my LFS for several months somewhere between 1-2 foot size range. reportedly used to spray team members every so often

148876_10151034141526790_150300711_n.jpg

Ben is right , thats an INSANELY awesome Maxima. One of the biggest I have ever seen in my life!!!! WOW!!!!

He was not specific, but Gigas clams are by far the hardiest as they are far better filter feeders than any other tridacnid. I dont really agree with his quote for the most part. Squamosas are the second easiest, Deresas being the easiest of all. Is your clam showing new shell growth ? Thats the best way to determine how healthy it is. Youre doing something right - 7 - 8 months is really great.

Ben is right , thats an INSANELY awesome Maxima. One of the biggest I have ever seen in my life!!!! WOW!!!!

Yeah it is showing new shell growth though not as much as it once did (I have put this down to a chronically low ALK problem I had which has since been rectified) The mantle is always open nice and wide with the syphon only just so.

Would you agree with the low ALK stunting its growth?

Yeah it was a beast, I took heaps more pics but lost them when my phone blew a gasket a while back :(

jedimasterben

Well I noticed last night that my little squammy was gaping at night (I know, right after saying that she had stopped for a while). She is fully extended (but not overly so) with no gaping during the day. She has a lot of new shell growth (well, a lot considering she's about 2" long, that is), whereas my maximas have zero shell growth (that I can tell) and do not gape, day or night.

Nitrate, my tests come up between half and four PPM, but I'd imagine that if nitrate was the root cause, the blue maxima would be the one gaping, as its mantle is reflecting a lot of blue light and loses a ton of energy that way.

I'm keeping an eye on them and carrying on like I am now to see how things progress.

Yeah it is showing new shell growth though not as much as it once did (I have put this down to a chronically low ALK problem I had which has since been rectified) The mantle is always open nice and wide with the syphon only just so.

Would you agree with the low ALK stunting its growth?

Yeah it was a beast, I took heaps more pics but lost them when my phone blew a gasket a while back :(

Technically yes. The carbonates play a big role in shell growth but it would have to be chronically low...like 5 dkh for 6 months or more to affect its health. The newest info suggests clams do best at natural dkh levels of 7.9 or so. Ive been lowering my systems from 10 - 12 down to 8. What actually affects growth the most, even more than calcium, is strontium. You can pretty much double your clam growth rate by keeping high strontium levels.

I would have loved to buy that maxima...did it sell or perish ???

Well I noticed last night that my little squammy was gaping at night (I know, right after saying that she had stopped for a while). She is fully extended (but not overly so) with no gaping during the day. She has a lot of new shell growth (well, a lot considering she's about 2" long, that is), whereas my maximas have zero shell growth (that I can tell) and do not gape, day or night.

Nitrate, my tests come up between half and four PPM, but I'd imagine that if nitrate was the root cause, the blue maxima would be the one gaping, as its mantle is reflecting a lot of blue light and loses a ton of energy that way.

I'm keeping an eye on them and carrying on like I am now to see how things progress.

I have to tell you Squamosas have a realllly bad wrap these days. Everytime I go to the LFS the clams look nice, but the squamosas look sick. I have seen around 20 squamosas die, all from various vendors, in the last 6 month between lfs stores and friends. And I dont have a clue whats going on. Poor collection methods are always a possiblility because they all come from Vietnam. But ive seen aquacultured ones drop in a week as well.

I know youve had it for more than a little while now ( how long ?), so it must have been in good health from the start, and im sure its not "starving" in your tank because I know your husbandry. Nitrates could be stressing it...some say 2 ppm ( knopp, fatheree) is the max, but others ( sprung) say up to 10 is fine, so take that for what its worth. Check your DKH and try to keep it at natural levels 8.0 or so.

DOnt feed it purposely. It really doesnt help and if its stressed feeeding it can stress it more.

Another thing you can do for a short term is actually kind of funny to me, but sometimes works. If its only gaping at night - dont give it any night. Keep her lit 24/7 it wont hurt. once I was unaware that my timers were not working because my tanks are not in my home. SO my reef light stayed on for atleast 2 months straight. Other things were stressed, but SPS and clams did not not flintch. Let me know how shes doing. Also the other obvious possiblities are night preditors etc....but i know you know all that.

Maximas are like the slowest growing of all clams, so dont worry about that too much.

jedimasterben

I have to tell you Squamosas have a realllly bad wrap these days. Everytime I go to the LFS the clams look nice, but the squamosas look sick. I have seen around 20 squamosas die, all from various vendors, in the last 6 month between lfs stores and friends. And I dont have a clue whats going on. Poor collection methods are always a possiblility because they all come from Vietnam. But ive seen aquacultured ones drop in a week as well.

I know youve had it for more than a little while now ( how long ?), so it must have been in good health from the start, and im sure its not "starving" in your tank because I know your husbandry. Nitrates could be stressing it...some say 2 ppm ( knopp, fatheree) is the max, but others ( sprung) say up to 10 is fine, so take that for what its worth. Check your DKH and try to keep it at natural levels 8.0 or so.

DOnt feed it purposely. It really doesnt help and if its stressed feeeding it can stress it more.

Another thing you can do for a short term is actually kind of funny to me, but sometimes works. If its only gaping at night - dont give it any night. Keep her lit 24/7 it wont hurt. once I was unaware that my timers were not working because my tanks are not in my home. SO my reef light stayed on for atleast 2 months straight. Other things were stressed, but SPS and clams did not not flintch. Let me know how shes doing. Also the other obvious possiblities are night preditors etc....but i know you know all that.

Maximas are like the slowest growing of all clams, so dont worry about that too much.

I went to a different LFS than normal two weeks ago and bought three gorgeous dispar anthias, and they had a 6" squammy in their coral tank - it was gaping and the mantle was really ####ed up looking. I went there on Saturday and the shell was empty. It's absolutely astonishing how quickly a clam just disappears from its shell. I had a 4" derasa about 8 months ago that disappeared overnight, and that was before I had a beefy CUC.

As for nitrate maximum, Paul Baldassano has his nitrate at about 40ppm every time he has tested, and has kept several large clams. When my nitrates were high, 10-15ppm, all my clams were ok and had shell growth.

I got the squammy in the beginning of August, so nearly six months. This one is an ORA cultured one.

I don't target feed the clams, they get what they can from the water column, though I feed plenty of stuff that they can eat, and run no mechanical filtration.

I've been checking religiously for pyramellid snails, but thankfully have not found any. I also do have a couple of predatory whelks I found, but they are safely within the confines of the sump, and I'm certain I don't have any more (they came in with an order of nassarius snails).

Clam grave yard.

photojfk.jpg

I went to a different LFS than normal two weeks ago and bought three gorgeous dispar anthias, and they had a 6" squammy in their coral tank - it was gaping and the mantle was really ####ed up looking. I went there on Saturday and the shell was empty. It's absolutely astonishing how quickly a clam just disappears from its shell. I had a 4" derasa about 8 months ago that disappeared overnight, and that was before I had a beefy CUC.

As for nitrate maximum, Paul Baldassano has his nitrate at about 40ppm every time he has tested, and has kept several large clams. When my nitrates were high, 10-15ppm, all my clams were ok and had shell growth.

I got the squammy in the beginning of August, so nearly six months. This one is an ORA cultured one.

I don't target feed the clams, they get what they can from the water column, though I feed plenty of stuff that they can eat, and run no mechanical filtration.

I've been checking religiously for pyramellid snails, but thankfully have not found any. I also do have a couple of predatory whelks I found, but they are safely within the confines of the sump, and I'm certain I don't have any more (they came in with an order of nassarius snails).

Something is bothering it. Most people assume gaping is a definite indication of starvation, but it is not. Any form of irritaion can present itself in a gape, Change in lighting or placement...anything. Have you been messing with your lighting spectrum ?

jedimasterben

Something is bothering it. Most people assume gaping is a definite indication of starvation, but it is not. Any form of irritaion can present itself in a gape, Change in lighting or placement...anything. Have you been messing with your lighting spectrum ?

Not yet. Maybe she is predicting the near future :lol:

The new light should have more 452nm peak light than what I have now - my main lighting is 445nm. May not seem like much, but clams absorb far more light at higher royal blue wavelengths, so they may see more benefit from it, but who knows for sure.

Technically yes. The carbonates play a big role in shell growth but it would have to be chronically low...like 5 dkh for 6 months or more to affect its health. The newest info suggests clams do best at natural dkh levels of 7.9 or so. Ive been lowering my systems from 10 - 12 down to 8. What actually affects growth the most, even more than calcium, is strontium. You can pretty much double your clam growth rate by keeping high strontium levels.

I would have loved to buy that maxima...did it sell or perish ???

It sold, for $250

Archived