Cultivated Reef

Zephs Zoo Haus !

ZephNYC

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big fricken clam.

Zeph, I've been meaning to ask you. How big do derasas typically get in an aquarium? People vomit out all types of numbers, from 9" all the way to 24". Nobody seems to agree what te average size for a tank kept derasa can get. Would you measure at the widest part of the shell, tip to tip?

Hi Pat,

The largest Deresa ever reported was 1n 1988 and it was 62 cm, which is 24.4 inches. but that was in the wild. I personally have never seen a desesa larger than 18 inches in a aquarium BUT I am not of the thought that MOST clams can not reach maximum size in an aquarium. I had a Deresra grow from 3 inches to 12 inches in about 5 years till I lost it, but I am sure it would have continued to grow. They are the hardiest and fastest growing tridacnid clams out there, right up there with Gigas clams. Yes you measure the widest part of the shell. Tip to tip.

I think there is a hole in the 125 that is just begging for a beautiful blue carpet......

The tank looks like the sahara desert now !!!! Not 100% sold on anemones in that tank. Lots of potential problems with wondering. Im waiting to see what my clowns do now that their home has been removed ( they lived in the Gigas clam I just moved to the other tank). If they take house in my super pink goniopora it would drive me nuts, and I might have to get a carpet for them. We shall see.

That would have been a cool vid on the clam move! Any pics of her in the new crib?

Definitely pictures tonight. I had to give her a couple of days to recover from the fresh water dip.

Hi Pat,

The largest Deresa ever reported was 1n 1988 and it was 62 cm, which is 24.4 inches. but that was in the wild. I personally have never seen a desesa larger than 18 inches in a aquarium BUT I am not of the thought that MOST clams can not reach maximum size in an aquarium. I had a Deresra grow from 3 inches to 12 inches in about 5 years till I lost it, but I am sure it would have continued to grow. They are the hardiest and fastest growing tridacnid clams out there, right up there with Gigas clams. Yes you measure the widest part of the shell. Tip to tip.

THanks zeph. Out of all the information out there I definitely trust you about clams over anyone else. The real question now is... When my clam outgrows my tank, who am I going to pawn it off to? ;)

jedimasterben
THanks zeph. Out of all the information out there I definitely trust you about clams over anyone else. The real question now is... When my clam outgrows my tank, who am I going to pawn it off to? ;)

Me. duh. :lol:

Nobody, you just buy a new tank...

Me. duh. :lol:

You and zeph can attatch those pads to yourselfs and make muscle music. Whoever makes the best song wins. :D start pumping some iron.

jedimasterben

Yeah, I'd never be able to do what Zeph does :lol:. I have determined that I have to just maintain a little fat on my stomach so I can shoot a 1.5" needle into it for my glucose sensor. If I looked like Zeph, I'd have to shoot it into muscle, and that would be a #####.

Are you forfeiting? I tell you what, the playing fields are level now... Slow jazz music.

I've never had to stick myself with needles and never had any muscle on my stomach, so I can't vouch for either of those things lol.

Just wanna state for the record, I'm a fan of small clams.

I've never had to stick myself with needles and never had any muscle on my stomach, so I can't vouch for either of those things lol.

When I was in the hospital they were shooting me up with blood thinners in the abs. Not. Fun.

jedimasterben
Are you forfeiting? I tell you what, the playing fields are level now... Slow jazz music.

Yeah, it's no fun. I don't have but a small amount of fat, so I get muscle sometimes. Not the best feeling in the world, especially when the needle leaves behind a small tube that then sits in that muscle for 3 days.

The smaller the better IMHO. ;)

When I was in the hospital they were shooting me up with blood thinners in the abs. Not. Fun.

Ouch. Why in the abs of all places though?

THanks for that!!! Who are you going to pawn it off to??? Oh thats easy...posting that here is like telling a fat hungry guy you dont know what to do with all your extra food.

Ouch. Why in the abs of all places though?

I don't know why but the "belly" is where you shoot that kind of stuff. Since I don't have a "belly", they're shooting muscle. I'm pretty good about needles- I mastered the art of giving myself an IV in my combat training... but the belly shot... That just sucks.

Yeah, I'd never be able to do what Zeph does :lol:. I have determined that I have to just maintain a little fat on my stomach so I can shoot a 1.5" needle into it for my glucose sensor. If I looked like Zeph, I'd have to shoot it into muscle, and that would be a #####.

That is crazy!!! 1.5 inch needles are made for deep intramuscular injection. You can literally kill yourself going that deep in your stomach. Im confused, are you taking samples for testing like that ?? if so why?? I know this is off subject, but I am sort of an armchair doctor in my own mind. I know lots of diabetics, and we never use anything more than a .5 inch 29 guage syring for samples as well as injecting insulin.

I don't know why but the "belly" is where you shoot that kind of stuff. Since I don't have a "belly", they're shooting muscle. I'm pretty good about needles- I mastered the art of giving myself an IV in my combat training... but the belly shot... That just sucks.

it has to do with receptors. Insulin is best injected subcutaniously in the skin fold of you belly.

it has to do with receptors. Insulin is best injected subcutaniously in the skin fold of you belly.

I was getting shot with coumadin. Don't know if that makes a difference.

All I know is that as a kid i loved needles. Going to the doctor, watching surgery on tv, whating a doctor use a hole punch essentially to remove somthing on my dad, whatever it was I loved it. Then boom, I learned about air embolisms and hated them ever since.

I was getting shot with coumadin. Don't know if that makes a difference.

for the most part, all water based drugs should be injected subQ in the abs. Oil based drugs need deep intramuscular injection or the oil can lay stagnant under the skin.

Speaking of killer air bubbles... Zeph, did you have to burp that giant clam of yours?

YES!!!! I did!!! and got all the air out for a propper dip, and than again after being back in the tank. So we "burped" it twice.

Also I replaced the 10K halides with 14K early this morning and the tank looks AWESOME! Pics tonight when I get home.

All I know is that as a kid i loved needles. Going to the doctor, watching surgery on tv, whating a doctor use a hole punch essentially to remove somthing on my dad, whatever it was I loved it. Then boom, I learned about air embolisms and hated them ever since.

oh yea, that can kill you fast. But you would have to be lazy or stupid to inject air into your body.

jedimasterben
That is crazy!!! 1.5 inch needles are made for deep intramuscular injection. You can literally kill yourself going that deep in your stomach. Im confused, are you taking samples for testing like that ?? if so why?? I know this is off subject, but I am sort of an armchair doctor in my own mind. I know lots of diabetics, and we never use anything more than a .5 inch 29 guage syring for samples as well as injecting insulin.

It's not for injecting insulin, I use an insulin pump, it is for inserting a tube that reads the sugar level of interstitial fluid for continuous glucose monitoring. http://www.medtronicdiabetes.com/products/...ucosemonitoring

The needle has the tube inside it, whereas my actual insulin pump's cannula is wrapped around its insertion needle.

Also I replaced the 10K halides with 14K early this morning and the tank looks AWESOME! Pics tonight when I get home.

psh, you've never seen awesome before. just you wait.

Archived