• Last Reply
jedimasterben
He lives in Manhattan, don't think $ is much of a concern of his, LOL

Well, let's break it down.

210g: 1200w

125g: 750w

125g: 150w

29g: 250w + maybe 48w actinics

That's 2400w of power just in lighting, not including ballast inefficiencies, so let's go with 2600w. His chillers are going to pull at least 450w for the 210/125g system, 300w for the seahorse system, and 200w for the QT system. Now we're up to 3,550w of electricity being pulled.

Average cost of electricity in New York state is $0.19 per kWh. At 10 hours per day light cycle, that's about $6.75 per day. Not too bad, right? $47.22 per week, $202.35 per month, $2,461.93, and holy ####, $12,309.63 over five years. Jesus H. Christ.

Now, halide bulbs aren't cheap and should be replaced every 9-12 months. 400w bulbs cost, on average, $75, 250w bulbs $55, and 150w bulbs $50. Let's say he gets away with 12 month replacements and has none burn out prematurely. That's $500 every year, not including the T5 actinics on the clam QT. Five year cost for that is $2,500.

That brings total cost over five years to $14,809.63. Again, holy freakin' god.

Now we come to LED.

210g: ~$800 initial cost = 320w

125g: ~$500 initial cost = 175w

125g: ~$350 initial cost = 80w

29g: ~$250 initial cost = 60w

Total power draw of all systems comes down to ~635w, 650w just because. At $0.19 per kWh, that's $1.24 per day, $8.65 per week, $37.05 per month, $450.78 per year, and only $2,253.88 over five years. Even adding in the initial cost of the LEDs and drivers and everything, still comes to about $4,200 over five years. That's less than 1/3rd the cost of running halides.

Now one reason the power draw on LEDs is lower is because the chillers are not needed anymore. Halides release most of their power as heat directly below the bulb, which then hits the water. LEDs do not send their power down as heat, the heat is transferred above the diode into the heatsink, which is then dissipated outside of the tank. The chillers can all be sold and replaced by a single (maybe two, depending on the size of the room) window A/C unit which will cool down the entire room full of tanks, lights and everything. The room itself will no longer be heated, as well, which will make it more comfortable to work in for maintenance or to just sit and enjoy the tanks.

Convinced yet? B)

210g: 1200w

125g: 750w

125g: 150w

29g: 250w + maybe 48w actinics

That's 2400w of power just in lighting, not including ballast inefficiencies, so let's go with 2600w. His chillers are going to pull at least 450w for the 210/125g system, 300w for the seahorse system, and 200w for the QT system. Now we're up to 3,550w of electricity being pulled.

Average cost of electricity in New York state is $0.19 per kWh. At 10 hours per day light cycle, that's about $6.75 per day. Not too bad, right? $47.22 per week, $202.35 per month, $2,461.93, and holy ####, $12,309.63 over five years. Jesus H. Christ.

Now, halide bulbs aren't cheap and should be replaced every 9-12 months. 400w bulbs cost, on average, $75, 250w bulbs $55, and 150w bulbs $50. Let's say he gets away with 12 month replacements and has none burn out prematurely. That's $500 every year, not including the T5 actinics on the clam QT. Five year cost for that is $2,500.

That brings total cost over five years to $14,809.63. Again, holy freakin' god.

Now we come to LED.

210g: ~$800 initial cost = 320w

125g: ~$500 initial cost = 175w

125g: ~$350 initial cost = 80w

29g: ~$250 initial cost = 60w

Total power draw of all systems comes down to ~635w, 650w just because. At $0.19 per kWh, that's $1.24 per day, $8.65 per week, $37.05 per month, $450.78 per year, and only $2,253.88 over five years. Even adding in the initial cost of the LEDs and drivers and everything, still comes to about $4,200 over five years. That's less than 1/3rd the cost of running halides.

Now one reason the power draw on LEDs is lower is because the chillers are not needed anymore. Halides release most of their power as heat directly below the bulb, which then hits the water. LEDs do not send their power down as heat, the heat is transferred above the diode into the heatsink, which is then dissipated outside of the tank. The chillers can all be sold and replaced by a single (maybe two, depending on the size of the room) window A/C unit which will cool down the entire room full of tanks, lights and everything. The room itself will no longer be heated, as well, which will make it more comfortable to work in for maintenance or to just sit and enjoy the tanks.

Convinced yet? B)

Bro, you have left me F'in SPEACHLESS! More later..that was awesome.

You finally made a thread!!!!!! Batfish :wub: Clams :wub: Sun coral :wub:

Hey baby!, THanks for stopping by . :wub:

He lives in Manhattan, don't think $ is much of a concern of his, LOL

Are you kidding me? I barely even have furniture.

Jedi, I love you for that breakdown. Always going above and beyond to push some LEDs. :D.

Zeph! I don't think I commented last night when I saw your thread, I was in your stinky town until 2am then lost in queens until 3 or 4, so I was pretty tired when I got home. Everythin is amazing. In such a small quantity of water changes daily, do you even have to heat up or aerate the 5 gallons before changing it out?

I always wondered why people didn't change out small increments a day rather than large changes at the end of the week. Maybe I'll try it with the next tank?

Are you anywhere near the dream hotel/bar? I didn't get to go in but they had a nice big aquarium right at the front door.

Convinced yet? B)

Wow Ben that is quite a calculation you did there! Amazing indeed what running high powered lights can end up costing ...

Jedi, I love you for that breakdown. Always going above and beyond to push some LEDs. :D.

Zeph! I don't think I commented last night when I saw your thread, I was in your stinky town until 2am then lost in queens until 3 or 4, so I was pretty tired when I got home. Everythin is amazing. In such a small quantity of water changes daily, do you even have to heat up or aerate the 5 gallons before changing it out?

I always wondered why people didn't change out small increments a day rather than large changes at the end of the week. Maybe I'll try it with the next tank?

Are you anywhere near the dream hotel/bar? I didn't get to go in but they had a nice big aquarium right at the front door.

Hi Pat,

I am on the other side of town, in a quieter, more residential area. I do know the hotel...W 51 st ..i think, but havnt seen that tank in ages. How does it look these days??

With such a small water change, which is about 1% of the total system volume, there is no need to warm up, aerate, or even be sure the salinity matches perfectly. Its really just part of my daily maintenance program. I just think it is easier to do a small daily, as opposed to a larger, pain in the butt monthly water change. Not only that, but i feel the system stays more stable this way and suffer less fluctuation. Also, I consider water changes a desrutption, especially for clams, so a 1% goes practically un noticed.

I could do 1/2 gallon daily too. Maybe I will

Awwwww...adorable! You could do a thimble daily when you set up your PICO.

WOW Zeph... quite impressive!

As is yours! I checked out your thread, NICE!!!

Nice fish room Zeph, looks amazing. That CLAM... :o so amazing.

I'll be sure to consult you, the master when purchasing my first clam later this year.

Since you have the other larger systems all separated for different types of corals, LPS, SPS etc, what are you planning to stock in your nano? Or is that top secret for now?

Nice fish room Zeph, looks amazing. That CLAM... :o so amazing.

I'll be sure to consult you, the master when purchasing my first clam later this year.

Since you have the other larger systems all separated for different types of corals, LPS, SPS etc, what are you planning to stock in your nano? Or is that top secret for now?

Oh I am far from the master!!! I have lost so many clams anyone with half a brain would have given up by now. But I will admit my persistence has paid off as I do believe I have finally figured these babies out.

I want a nano for nano creatures!!! Little sexy shrimp, gobies, zoas - things like that just get lost in large aquariums. also, NONE of my aquariums are actually in my apartment, they are all 5 floors down in my basement. I just want a new little toy to play with upstairs, without the expense of too much more electricity.

Oh I am far from the master!!! I have lost so many clams anyone with half a brain would have given up by now. But I will admit my persistence has paid off as I do believe I have finally figured these babies out.

I want a nano for nano creatures!!! Little sexy shrimp, gobies, zoas - things like that just get lost in large aquariums. also, NONE of my aquariums are actually in my apartment, they are all 5 floors down in my basement. I just want a new little toy to play with upstairs, without the expense of too much more electricity.

Very true, cant wait to see what you come up with. I'm sure it will be fantastic.

But he's ALWAYS in the dog house!

Thats another reson for my Nano. ITs the only tank that will fit in my D O G H O U S E .

Hey Zeph, thought I'd post a pic of a bunch of pothos and a couple of arrow plants hanging out of my filters. Your shot of the discus tank reminded me I actually have a fw tank albiet very neglected.

20120827_171457.jpg

Hey Zeph, thought I'd post a pic of a bunch of pothos and a couple of arrow plants hanging out of my filters. Your shot of the discus tank reminded me I actually have a fw tank albiet very neglected.

20120827_171457.jpg

WHats funny is I had arrow plants in that discus tank too, I JUST took them out about a week ago. Is that aquarium in a baby crib? lol.

WHats funny is I had arrow plants in that discus tank too, I JUST took them out about a week ago. Is that aquarium in a baby crib? lol.

Baby crib, lol! I still shove my 15 year old in there when he needs it. :angry:

Actually, its part of the landing at the top of the stairs across from a picture window. It's sort of a see thru tank.

Man still love all these tanks! I would like to try a small clam I think, my lfs sells little Maximus clams

For 50 bucks, don't know if that's good or not though

Archived