Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Zephs Zoo Haus !

ZephNYC

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
omgomgomg

Caulerpa still doing okay? And did my lettuce nudis come out of it? Haha. Still haven't seen em...

Some die off as expected, but lots of new growth so it's all good. I havnt seen any nudis either. Was hoping I would, just empty snail shells!

What's gone? :huh:

I lost one of the big clams to pinched mantle disease. Although I am happy to report I think I now have a grasp on the situation and will be adding a new test clam to this system.

Wow that clam is awesome. Looks great. Are you in manhattan?

Yes, Upper east side. THanks!

:wub:

:wub: If it wasnt for you I wouldnt even be here.

Estimation, how much does that thing weigh? O_O Never seen anything like it in a fishtank. I applaud you, there aren't words, and I'm not just talking about the clam.

My dad tried to breed discus. Never got any of them to pair off. haha

Estimation, how much does that thing weigh? O_O Never seen anything like it in a fishtank. I applaud you, there aren't words, and I'm not just talking about the clam.

My dad tried to breed discus. Never got any of them to pair off. haha

I really dont have a clue because I havnt moved it in years, but I would ball park it near 100lbs. WHen I removed the slightly smaller one it felt about 100!. It willl out grow that tank in a couple of years as it is ALMOST touching both front and rear panels. WHen I have to move it I will definitely drop it on a scale first.

Yea...and even when you FINALLY get some to pair off, the importers have sterilized them to ensure their market. Not all....but definitely some that I know of.

jedimasterben

Near 100lbs? Its gotta weigh more than that! At 54", they're supposed to be about 475lbs, and yours is over halfway to 54".

jedimasterben

Zeph, now that I know what all tanks you have and what they are lit by, you would probably cry if you knew how much extra money you're spending by keeping those halides around, and those chillers working overtime because of it. You could buy so many more clams with that money. B)

Meh, big tanks are easy. We wanna see what you do with a nano!

Seriously, what a collection! Glad you finally made a thread!

Looks like yer gonna need a full time tank girl!

Zeph, now that I know what all tanks you have and what they are lit by, you would probably cry if you knew how much extra money you're spending by keeping those halides around, and those chillers working overtime because of it. You could buy so many more clams with that money. B)

I agree about the downside of halides, without a doubt. Higher cost of running and high heat exchange are the negatives. But I really have to admit I like being able to blast a reef with high power lighting from nothing more than a single 3 inch bulb. Im going to try your Leds on my nano because it will be in my living room and want something a little more stylish, Of course I will have clams in there, so it will be an interesting experiment for me..

Good luck with the nano Zeph. The LEDs will have the same capabilities as the MHs for sure, but it will just be a matter of whether you like the aesthetics in the tank or not. I say to go ahead and sell that chiller and grab a sweet Radion :D.

Good luck with the nano Zeph. The LEDs will have the same capabilities as the MHs for sure, but it will just be a matter of whether you like the aesthetics in the tank or not. I say to go ahead and sell that chiller and grab a sweet Radion :D.

Im a tuff nut to crack, but Im going to give it a try for sure. Stay tuned for pictures! Thanks!

lagunastudio

wow, really cool. All of your tanks look very natural. I think I remember you mentioning in another thread that you do daily water changes? Is this on all of your tanks or only clam tank(s)?

:wub: If it wasnt for you I wouldnt even be here.

I still want to charge an entry fee for a personal tour of the Zoo Haus. B)

You know that stinky nook under the stairs, I could set up a ticket collectors booth there.

My thoughts exactly!

With all those watts of metal halides (plus additional lighting), the heat (not to mention Zeph's electricity bill) must be horrifying.

If he lived in British Columbia, that's easily enough wattage to get flagged as a grow op and have the police show up (has happened to a few aquarists . . . One of whom was a FW guy).

I still want to charge an entry fee for a personal tour of the Zoo Haus. B)

You know that stinky nook under the stairs, I could set up a ticket collectors booth there.

LOL ! That "nook" is a little stinky because the entire building puts their garbage in there!!! I keep getting blamed that my fish are the cause of that smell. And anyway, that is the area I was going to chain you up to next time I convince you to visit my fish rooms.

wow, really cool. All of your tanks look very natural. I think I remember you mentioning in another thread that you do daily water changes? Is this on all of your tanks or only clam tank(s)?

My main reef system, which is about 500gallons, gets a minimum of 5 gallon daily water changes. My clams do better with LESS water changes - something that has taken me years to figure out. So I do small weekly water changes of about 10%. on all the other systems. This last week I have been adding pharmaceutical grade nitrates to my clam systems with AMAZING results!! I am convinced that you need low levels of nitrates if you want your clams to thrive.

Meh, big tanks are easy. We wanna see what you do with a nano!

Seriously, what a collection! Glad you finally made a thread!

Looks like yer gonna need a full time tank girl!

THanks. And you shall see !!! i G U A R A N T E E !

Whats up REEFERS?

So Ive been hanging out here lately, and it's been a friggin BLAST, but everyone keeps telling me to start a thread. So I guess i can start with some pics of my MaD ZoO HaUs!! These are my tanks as they look today. I did not want to show them yet because there really is not much in there. My Reefs are under heavy renovation to make room for some new ideas and themes. Im almost embarrassed to show them, but am looking forward to posting their progress as well. Please do not judge them as is. I have been out of the hobby for years but have some mind bending ideas. I will get into my hardware and filter systems next.

Wow Zeph that is some set ups you have there ! Glad you finally started a thread and showed us all your secrets including the Discus and of course the "I dispose of the unwanted ones" here tank ! Those P's look hungry ! Of course they are such messy eaters IME.

Used to keep them a long long time ago when I was into freshwater ... '

Great show Zeph ... keep the info coming

I wanna see a better pic of that Batfish I think I saw ...

Albert

jedimasterben
I agree about the downside of halides, without a doubt. Higher cost of running and high heat exchange are the negatives. But I really have to admit I like being able to blast a reef with high power lighting from nothing more than a single 3 inch bulb. Im going to try your Leds on my nano because it will be in my living room and want something a little more stylish, Of course I will have clams in there, so it will be an interesting experiment for me..

To replace a 400w halide across the same footprint, roughly, just use 3up stars for the LEDs. Each star is 3/4" long, 16x of those clustered together should cream a 400w'er no problem. B)

Like I said, as long as you get this nano up in a reasonable amount of time, before the year is up, you will be running 100% LED.

A Radion will look like #### compared to what he will be using. B)

Go Zeph Nano ... I am sure that with all the experience you have that you will not have a problem running a stunning system ... and without MH's but with LED"s

Power to you for starting one.

LOL ! That "nook" is a little stinky because the entire building puts their garbage in there!!! I keep getting blamed that my fish are the cause of that smell. And anyway, that is the area I was going to chain you up to next time I convince you to visit my fish rooms.

:o WTF! Don't make me get the bunny rabbit to beat you.

TeflonTomDosh

He lives in Manhattan, don't think $ is much of a concern of his, LOL

Archived