Cultivated Reef

Zephs Zoo Haus !

ZephNYC

Man still love all these tanks! I would like to try a small clam I think, my lfs sells little Maximus clams

For 50 bucks, don't know if that's good or not though

THanks!! THats an average price. If you do get one I would love to hear about your system.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baby crib, lol! I still shove my 15 year old in there when he needs it. :angry:

Actually, its part of the landing at the top of the stairs across from a picture window. It's sort of a see thru tank.

You have a 15 year old? *psshhhheewwww* (mind blown)

New hobby for Zeph- Muscle Music.

HA!! I like that actor. He looks prettty good for a little guy.

A little wabbit told me you had some updates. The world is watching Zeph. Chop chop.

Yes Mamm!!! Pics tonight. I figure I would let the clam get a good night sleep first. I think it will be nice and open today.

HA!! I like that actor. He looks prettty good for a little guy.

Lol. He is huge. Even his foreheads got muscles. Look at the raw power of those eyebrows.

His daughter is older than that, right Spiro?

She's the reason he has a gun in the house. Boys.

Ha! My daughter is 22 and married, now her husband has all the guns. :)

Hey Zeph, thought I'd post a pic of a bunch of pothos and a couple of arrow plants hanging out of my filters. Your shot of the discus tank reminded me I actually have a fw tank albiet very neglected.

20120827_171457.jpg

I like the protective railing around it.

I've never thought of a fresh tank with plants growing in it like that. Is there anything similar for saltwater that will reject the salt like mangroves do?

I've never thought of a fresh tank with plants growing in it like that. Is there anything similar for saltwater that will reject the salt like mangroves do?

I think Giga has some other salt water friendly plants...

Ok...i may be obsessed with CLAMS, but on the contrary, it appears Pat has a thing for testicles!

yoo hoo

My butt dialed 3 people yesterday!!! So one of my 250W halides on the 125 reef blew out today. The only thing I hate about halides is the ceramic blocks you snap the bulb into keep shattering on me as they cook- and Im sick of it. Bens LED's are sounding sweeter and sweeter. Of coure I have like a zillion extra halides hanging around so I was able to wire up 150w for now.

I moved the monster Gigas clam from the 125 to the 210 last night, but not before giving it a 5 minute dip in 100% RO water. That was fun. It was entirely impossible for me to lift it out the tank all by myself, so my 77 year old father had to help me. When it was about half way above water level it did what all healthy clams do when exposed to air. They SPIT on whoever is holding it. Sorry dad. LOL. No picture yet as it is still recovering.

no butt calls today? you must be wearing no pants.

Actually...my phone was in my front pocket when that happened. You do the math.

My butt dialed 3 people yesterday!!! So one of my 250W halides on the 125 reef blew out today. The only thing I hate about halides is the ceramic blocks you snap the bulb into keep shattering on me as they cook- and Im sick of it. Bens LED's are sounding sweeter and sweeter. Of coure I have like a zillion extra halides hanging around so I was able to wire up 150w for now.

I moved the monster Gigas clam from the 125 to the 210 last night, but not before giving it a 5 minute dip in 100% RO water. That was fun. It was entirely impossible for me to lift it out the tank all by myself, so my 77 year old father had to help me. When it was about half way above water level it did what all healthy clams do when exposed to air. They SPIT on whoever is holding it. Sorry dad. LOL. No picture yet as it is still recovering.

Wow that must have been some undertaking ! What do you estimate its weight was Zeph?

Glad you got it done though and hope your phone did not take a "bath" too

Wow that must have been some undertaking ! What do you estimate its weight was Zeph?

Glad you got it done though and hope your phone did not take a "bath" too

I intended on putting the clam on a scale before the dip, but I kept hearing Wombats voice saying " when the mantle sags as it hangs in the air it can really damage the clam". So I said forget about it, BUT I can guarantee it was over 200 lbs. I can deadlift 600lbs on a bad day...and I had extreme difficulty removing it on my own, Mostly due to the awkward angle of the lift. I needed help!

I intended on putting the clam on a scale before the dip, but I kept hearing Wombats voice saying " when the mantle sags as it hangs in the air it can really damage the clam". So I said forget about it, BUT I can guarantee it was over 200 lbs. I can deadlift 600lbs on bad day...and I had extreme difficulty removing it on my own, Mostly due to the awkward angle of the lift. I needed help!

Wow that is indeed some clam and yes I understand that getting it out of a tank is more difficult than just lifting up a few hundred pounds from the floor ..

Glad all went well and as you said it is still recuperating

Big fricken clam.

Zeph, I've been meaning to ask you. How big do derasas typically get in an aquarium? People vomit out all types of numbers, from 9" all the way to 24". Nobody seems to agree what te average size for a tank kept derasa can get. Would you measure at the widest part of the shell, tip to tip?

Archived