Pod Your Reef

Zephs Zoo Haus !

ZephNYC

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The blue ring is also capable of "dry bites". I you get it, we can all play some kind of sick game of Russian Roulette.

I had a friend named zef. Just zef. I called him zeffry Just to piss him off. Knowing him since I was around 13, I still have no idea how to say his last name. It's Albanian.

• 3 weeks later...
damnit zeph. you finally get a thread and don't update it.

Updating soon!!!!! Im in Las Vegas working on my clam collection !!!!

Tee hee heeee. B)

Returning tonight. We took second place, which which we are kind of happy with, but only earned 50K instead of 175.

Worst part is we have to suffer through the traditional constant second place joke which goes like this:

knock knock ?

Whos there?

Second place!!!

Second place who ?

Exactly.

Also I have two big Maximas arriving tomorrow from Pacific East Aquaculture and picked up a few items at my lfs to report. I also received a VERY disappointing order from Live Aquaria and really feel these guys have been on a steady decline the last year. More soon.

<poof>

Second place in clam hording in Vegas? I'd say that's a pretty impressive feat.

Hey Kris !

The macro you gave me is doing really well and gave my tank a whole new look. Cant wait to get some new seahorse pics on here in the next couple of days. Never did see any nudi's though...i promise.

Hey, Dr Macs site mentiones no nitrates for clams

Maxima Clams need strong lighting to survive long term, we highly recommend 250 or 400 watt metal halide lighting or equivelant, such as intense LEDs. Clams and all invertebrates require saltwater that has full strength saltwater parameters: Specific Gravity 1.025-1.027, alkalinity 8dKH, calcium 450+, Magnesium 1300+, nondetectable nitrates and phosphates.

Hey Kris !

The macro you gave me is doing really well and gave my tank a whole new look. Cant wait to get some new seahorse pics on here in the next couple of days. Never did see any nudi's though...i promise.

Glad to hear. I'm sure it looks better now that it actually has room to grow- when I pulled the caulerpa out of my tank it was so tightly bound that it felt like a chunky softball.

Hey, Dr Macs site mentiones no nitrates for clams

Maxima Clams need strong lighting to survive long term, we highly recommend 250 or 400 watt metal halide lighting or equivelant, such as intense LEDs. Clams and all invertebrates require saltwater that has full strength saltwater parameters: Specific Gravity 1.025-1.027, alkalinity 8dKH, calcium 450+, Magnesium 1300+, nondetectable nitrates and phosphates.

Obvi Dr Mac knows nuthin!

damnit zeph. you finally get a thread and don't update it.

Thats because Im spending all my time trying to figure out the dam lighting info you gave me!!!!! I will make you proud!

Thats because Im spending all my time trying to figure out the dam lighting info you gave me!!!!! I will make you proud!

Rule of thumb for me is that if i don't understand it, it's the right way. That goes for calcium/alk/mag issues and for lighting.

I love Dr. Mac, and will always turn to him for advice, but flat out the most important lesson i have learned in my personal clam keeping, is that if you keep absolute zero levels if nitrates in your system your high end clams will starve and die in 2 - 3 months. A deresa or squamosa might last longer. Feeding them wont help either. Many previous cases of what was thought to be pinched mantel disease seams to be a simple case of starvation. Go figure. Also, nitrates dont have to be present 24/7. A few days a month is really all you need. Wayne Shang said 3 days. All hale Wayne. :bowdown:

ZEPH COME BACK I NEED TO GIVE YOU A FISH!

I read your thread but explain it to me anyway cuz im tired.

On a Wayne Shang side note, did you know that Wayne is the only man on record to have a tank full of large incompatible angelfish ? A feat considered impossible by most experts. He has around a dozen or so different LARGE angelfish in a 300 gal fish only. When asked his secret he confessed to having torn the tank down more times than he cares to admit, simply to remove troublemakers for a "time out". This tank is also the source of nitrates he feeds his clams.

Archived