Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Keep-Downsize Coming

HVani

Is it possible you just have lower nutrients in this tank, than the last tank? I also think they could still be transitioning to new lighting. I noticed problems when I moved things from T5 to LED. Just a guess here though.

I thought you couldn't change your username without starting over again? It's still close enough to the original that we will know it's you ;)

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just sent a polite message to the admin and it was changed. I'm pretty happy with it.

I don't think my tank has low nutrients because I feed quite a bit and my feather dusters are multiplying like mad in both the sump and the main tank. My skimmer is a little undersized to prevent taking out too much nutrients.

Well I did some water testing last night. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate were all where they should be. I thought my Kh was fine and my Calcium test seemed weird. So today I took a water sample to the LFS to get it tested with their kit.

Good news, my Mag is just fine

Bad news, My Kh and Calcium are off the charts. 17 and 600 respectively. Oops, I guess I over did it with the Kalk. BUt hopefully after a few water changes and going without kalk for a while my softies should bounce back.

In other news, The jawfish is not looking good :(

Sorry to hear about your jawfish and palys! :( I lost my beloved BSJ to the BSJ disease around a month or so after I got him. It was devistating, he looked fine and the next thing I know I notice he has a whitish patch of skin right by his tail, it slowly grew larger until it was all over his body and then he stopped eating and didn't last much longer. I REALLY hope yours will be ok. And +1 on the Mg level! They like a some Mg it brightens them up and they grow better

jedimasterben
Well I did some water testing last night. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate were all where they should be. I thought my Kh was fine and my Calcium test seemed weird. So today I took a water sample to the LFS to get it tested with their kit.

Good news, my Mag is just fine

Bad news, My Kh and Calcium are off the charts. 17 and 600 respectively. Oops, I guess I over did it with the Kalk. BUt hopefully after a few water changes and going without kalk for a while my softies should bounce back.

In other news, The jawfish is not looking good :(

WHOA! what were you dosing kalk for??

I'm interested in hearing how to not overdose Kalk! I have some but haven't used it yet. I figure at some point it will be necessary. I was just going to put it in my ATO water. How were you dosing the Kalk?

I just had it going in my top off water using the min dose. I thought it was good to use to keep maintain calcium and alk levels. In my previous tank my calcium and alk dropped quite a bit and I had a hard time getting them back up. When I started this tank I thought I was being smart by starting with kalk right away.

Like I said Ooops. I guess I need to wait until I have a bit more demand on my system before trying kalk again.

So this evening I changed about 1/3 of my water and replaced my top off water with good ol' RO/DI.

jedimasterben
I'm interested in hearing how to not overdose Kalk! I have some but haven't used it yet. I figure at some point it will be necessary. I was just going to put it in my ATO water. How were you dosing the Kalk?
I just had it going in my top off water using the min dose. I thought it was good to use to keep maintain calcium and alk levels. In my previous tank my calcium and alk dropped quite a bit and I had a hard time getting them back up. When I started this tank I thought I was being smart by starting with kalk right away.

Like I said Ooops. I guess I need to wait until I have a bit more demand on my system before trying kalk again.

So this evening I changed about 1/3 of my water and replaced my top off water with good ol' RO/DI.

Good plan, until your tank has a measured and steady drop in both cal and alk it's best not to dose anything. Even with as many corals and clams as I have in my 80g I do not have to dose anything, cal and alk have not dropped at all in two weeks' time.

And I thought the same as HVani!!!!! If I wasn't a procrastinator I would have been dosing the kalk in the top off water already. I thought it just kept things stable, without raising any levels. Like you get the correct levels and then drip the kalk to keep the leveles from budging.

jedimasterben
And I thought the same as HVani!!!!! If I wasn't a procrastinator I would have been dosing the kalk in the top off water already. I thought it just kept things stable, without raising any levels. Like you get the correct levels and then drip the kalk to keep the leveles from budging.

that is how it works, however, if you don't match the amount that is being used by your stony corals, all it will do is build up and build up and cause more problems than you started with. :(

• 2 weeks later...
All of my softies seem to have stopped growing since moving everything to the big tank. My LPS and SPS are better than ever. My Favias are just amazing! But all of my zoas, mushrooms and even have GSP have halted in growth. It bums me out so much.

Great looking tank. I especially like the moray eel!

I moved my tank from a 29 gallon Biocube to a 55 gallon rimless. In the Biocube I had a Rapidled lighting kit and my zoas and especially my palys grew so fast. In the new tank I have a Nano-Box led fixture but the softie growth is much slower. My SPS is doing pretty well, though!

Anyway, I swapped tanks and went from one led system to another and had similar issues to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't updated in a bit, things have been nutty

First my BSJ died and my clown goby and clownfish contacted ich from it. Since I could not remove all of my fish to treat I did the best I could and treated my clowns(the clown goby died).

The clowns got better and were added back to the tank. Since then all fish have been eating well with no sign of disease.

After loosing several zoas and palys to my messed up parameters, thing are finally back to normal. I'm considering adding some new coral soon.

I ordered an LED light from reefbreedeers, hopefully it will get here soon.

Not long after this my dog was diagnosed with cancer. Lucky it was only on her toe so she had it amputated. She's doing well now and is cancer free.

Tankwise since things are going well I order some jawfish from K&P aquatics. They will arrive tomorrow. I'm working on getting my QT set up today but it's slow going because I have the stomach flu.

So that's where we stand

Holy moley! What a bunch of disasters all in a row!!!!! Sounds like you have a positive attitude and are taking things in stride!! Hope ya feel better soon.

Post some more pics when you feel better. :)

Sorry to here about the jawfish and clown goby, I got a blue spot jawfish a month ago and is Definitly my fav next to the Midas blenny. Hopefully you get everything back on track!

jedimasterben
First my BSJ died and my clown goby and clownfish contacted ich from it. Since I could not remove all of my fish to treat I did the best I could and treated my clowns(the clown goby died).

The clowns got better and were added back to the tank. Since then all fish have been eating well with no sign of disease.

You only treated the clowns? The night you stuck them back in they were reinfected. :(

I know

Like I said I could not get all my fish out to treat so I did what I could. Their spots are gone and they are eating well. It's really the best I could do

I'm glad things are on the upswing for you now!!!!!! I'm having issues in my tank right now. It's so frustrating. Sorry you just went through that.

Did you order a mated pair of jawfish? I'm sure you'll enjoy having them to watch!!!!!

They were out of the mated pairs!!

Since it's getting colder here fast I went with 3 juveniles instead. I will end up with a pair out of the group eventually :)

They were out of the mated pairs!!

Since it's getting colder here fast I went with 3 juveniles instead. I will end up with a pair out of the group eventually :)

Too bad. Well, at least you can get a pair out of the 3 :) So, do you then have to remove the odd one out? Or can they all live happily together? How is your eel doing?

Well I got 3 in case 1 dies in QT lol. But they are more social than other species so if I do end up with all 3 I'm hoping the tank is large enough for them to get along.

My eel is doing amazing :) She eats like a champ and is honestly getting a little chunky.

My package arrived today, I love K&P Aquatics!

Everything looks awesome and they sent me a 4th jawfish :D One has a slightly beat up tail the other 3 look awesome.

I also ordered a red mithrax crab and a fighting conch.

Also my reefbreeders light ships next week

Archived