Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Keep-Downsize Coming

HVani

Today I traded my Halloween urchin for 2 emerald crabs. I'm kind of bummed about it but he urchin was destroying my foam wall more than I thought it would. We'll see how the crans go. I may pick up a tuxedo urchin later on.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben
Today I traded my Halloween urchin for 2 emerald crabs. I'm kind of bummed about it but he urchin was destroying my foam wall more than I thought it would. We'll see how the crans go. I may pick up a tuxedo urchin later on.

Pincushion urchins like what you had are far less likely to destroy your scape than tuxedo urchins.

Really?? That really surprises me. Tuxedos are so small

My tuxedo I had was perfect. As long as everything was glued down I had no issues and boy did he eat algae!

Oh well. I'll stick with the crabs for now.

jedimasterben
Really?? That really surprises me. Tuxedos are so small

My tuxedo I had was perfect. As long as everything was glued down I had no issues and boy did he eat algae!

Oh well. I'll stick with the crabs for now.

Small? Nope. Tuxedos and pincushion get the same size, 3-4". Tuxedos cover themselves with much more debris and grab onto a lot more than pincushions do.

Huh.

I had mine for almost a year and it never got bigger than golf ball. My pin cushion was at least 4 inches across.

It's not that I don't believe you, I respect your opinion a lot, it's just I'm surprised is all.

I guess no urchin for me :(

So here is my week in review :)

I finally got my skimmer up and running. It turns out I was not priming it correctly. It's been running almost the full week and seems to be broken in. Today I dumped out a cup full of coffee colored skimate. Gross.

My algae is clearly receding. Between the crabs/snails and skimmer I'm getting a handle on it.

All stock is doing well, my eel is getting fat :)

Turns out I hate my T5s. I wanna go back to LEDs. I miss the crispness I got from the LEDs. Most things look washed out under my T5s. Also my pictures come out reallt crappy with my current lighting. I'm looking at the Maxspect 27" Razor R420R 16,000K. It seems to have everything I need without a HUGE price tag. I just need to save up a bit for it.

Next week I plan to make an order with Blue Zoo. I'm planning on getting a Tiger jawfish along with some inverts and maybe a coral or 2. I decided to go with the tiger jawfish because they get a bit bigger than other species. I was worried the yellow heads might be too small and could be pestered by my eel.

Dude, I'm digging the tank. You totally managed to pull off the dragon. One pic of the eel coming out of the mouth was enough to sell me on the tank ornament.

I think in 6 months or so it will end up looking really nice!

So I made my blue zoo order this morning and here's what I got

Tiger Jawfish, Opistognathus sp., Medium: over 1.5-3.5", Western Pacific

Electric Blue Knuckle Hermit Crab, Calcinus elegans, .25"-1", Marshal Islands

Blue Porcelain Crab, Petrolisthes spp., .5, Caribbean

Redspotted Blenny, Istiblennius chrysospilos, 1.5"-3", Indo Pacific

Yellow Sea Cucumber, Colochirus robustus, .5"-1.5", Sri Lanka

Red Fromia Starfish, Fromia milleporella, 1"-2", Indo Pacific

WYSIWYG Anemone Porcelain Crab, Neopetrolisthes spp., 1 INCH

WYSIWYG Pink and White Pincushion Urchin, Tripneustes spp., 2 INCHES

I know I said no urchin but I could not resist. This one is AMAZING looking

That's good to hear. I always worry about large orders. There are just more things that can turn out bad.

I almost got a WYSIWYG metallic green wall hammer. But I'd like my tank to settle a bit more.

Can't wait till Wednesday!!!

This tank is amazing! It is going to be so much fun to watch it grow! I am glad you are focusing on the softies and LPS combo with the wall like that; not only is it going to look fantastic in-and-of-itself with that rock wall, but it's going to be great to see a tank that focuses on them. And it's all a perfect setup for your eel! I'm excited about it. 8}

Thanks!

I'm also quite happy with my softie/LPS choices. I have a couple SPS but I'm hoping to only keep a very few. SPS dominated tanks are nice but not for me

Thanks!

I just got the shipping notice :D

Today was eel feeding day so she shouldn't bother anything new tomorrow. I've been trying to think of ways to add more nutrition to her diet. Today I stuffed a few pellets into the silversides I was feeding. She took them no problem :)

Good News:

Blue Zoo Order arrived and most everything lived!

Bad News:

Jawfish was DOA :(

:( sorry

My guess is rough shipment. I often wonder if some jerk(s) in a warehouse, shake up the boxes that say live animals, just to be cruel.

jedimasterben
My guess is rough shipment. I often wonder if some jerk(s) in a warehouse, shake up the boxes that say live animals, just to be cruel.

Nah, they aren't respecters of boxes - doesn't matter what it says, or if it says anything at all, though if it does have something special on it, like 'FRAGILE' or 'GLASS - DO NOT MACHINE', unless the exorbitant special handling fees are paid, it's treated just like any other box.

The best way to guarantee your shipment arrives is to make it look as generic as possible - a plain cardboard box, neatly taped, one shipping label. Of course, in addition to packaging it properly, but there is little you can do extra for fish or coral. :(

The jawfish was painfully thin as well, which most likely did not help.

I will try and get pictures today of some of the new stuff. A lot of things are hiding.

Here are the general perceptions so far:

Orange Spot Blenny is HUGE and adorable :wub:

The starfish is very pretty and active

Urchin is SWEET looking

The cucumber is much cooler than I thought it would be. Very bright yellow. I wish I had gotten more

The white porcelain crab is tiny

The "Blue spot" porcelain crab is just a regular purple one, NOTHING like the picture on the website

The electric blue hermit is a decent size, hopefully he isn't a jerk

Hopefully Blue zoo comes through on their guarantee and I can try the jawfish again :)

I just heard back form Blue Zoo :) they are putting together a credit for me. Once that goes through I'll try ordering the jawfish again. Sucks I have to pay for shipping again though :(

Look at that face!!!!!! :happy:

The algae has really cleared up. It looks fantastic!!!!!! I always hate that when something dies, these stores give a credit, but not on shipping. That really stinks.

Archived