inTank Media Baskets

The Keep-Downsize Coming

HVani

Still no sign of the jawfish :(

I also forgot to mention that the cyano is totally gone and the rest of the hair algae is only in a few patches

How long did it take for your Cyano to be gone? Did you do the light trick or just do weekly water changes?

I have a nasty outbreak that I think is related to it being a new tank.

Hopefully your jawfish is alright. Mine is working on his second home. He lives in his first home but seems to be having fun making a second.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no :(

Is it possible the eel had something to do with these unfortunate events? Reminds me of when we were accusing Joel's lobster for his mysterious fish deaths!!!!! I hope the jawfish turns up for you!!!!!!

Let's see, my cyano showed u almost a week or 2 after the tank was set up so that was in September. So about month for the cyano to totally go away. I didn't use the lights out method and honestly my water changes have been every 2 weeks. I did add on a skimmer and when that happened all of my algae started disappearing quickly.

Saw the jawfish :) My husband found him actually and even after pointing him out it still took me a little while to see him. His new burrow is in a hard to see spot, behind the rock pillar on the far right side. Nice to know he's ok :)

My Mandarin didn't have a mark on her so I don't think the eel is responsible. Her mouth is just so small I don't see how she could eat any of my fish besides my green clown goby.

Full tank shot tomorrow, I moved some things around :)

Also the jawfish keeps giving me a heart attack! I spent all day looking for him, freaking out that he's missing again. Turns out he's living behind the rock wall now. Once I spotted him I fed the tank and he ate very well :)

I also picked up a purple firefish today to make up for the loss of the Mandarin.

Omg. LOVE your tank!! I'm so jealous of that dwarf moray and your clownfish! So beautiful, and not to mention your rocks on the back of your tank look really good, I actually haven't seen that before.

Your little porcelain crab makes me miss mine, my yellow candy hog made quick work of him after a week of being in my tank :'(

Aww sorry about your crab :( I'm trying to be really careful about what I add so I can keep all of my invertebrates.

I love my eel too :) I paid way too much for "just a fish" but she's awesome. I have been in love with eels ever since I first saw a green moray at the Baltimore Aquarium. It's so cool to have a mini moray of my own.

• 2 weeks later...

Things are not going well :(

I pulled 2 huge handfuls of hair algae out of the sump(ok not a bad thing)

My magician zoas have officially melted and now my red people eaters are unhappy. I've also lost my blue sparkly palys. None of the above have been happy since the move, they just finally gave up and died.

My jawfish has an eye infection now but is still eating. I think it's popeye :( :( I don't think I can catch him to treat since he can get behind the rock wall. I feel sick just thinking about loosing him

I'm so unhappy with this tank now

jedimasterben
Things are not going well :(

I pulled 2 huge handfuls of hair algae out of the sump(ok not a bad thing)

My magician zoas have officially melted and now my red people eaters are unhappy. I've also lost my blue sparkly palys. None of the above have been happy since the move, they just finally gave up and died.

My jawfish has an eye infection now but is still eating. I think it's popeye :( :( I don't think I can catch him to treat since he can get behind the rock wall. I feel sick just thinking about loosing him

I'm so unhappy with this tank now

sorry to hear that :(

can you move the palys around, or are they stuck to a rock somewhere that cant be moved?

for the jawfish, just keep it healthy. from what i understand, there is no real 'cure' for popeye, that medicines that work only work anecdotally, at best. my sub-male anthias had popeye last week, and it has disappeared without treatment.

Sorry to read about this, A!!!!! My magicians never recovered for me. I also am having trouble with RPE. Seems like I can't keep PE palys. Not sure why. They must be much more sensitive. From now on, I'm purposefully going to stay away from them.

I hope the jawfish recovers. From what Ben said, it sounds promising!!!!!!

:grouphug:

jedimasterben

Palys love my tank. i have green and red people eaters and some mindblowing palys, and all have quadrupled in size in the past two months. do you guys feed them? they will eat anything, pellets, mysis, cyclops, etc.

and my anthias lost its eye this morning. it looked like it had healed, but i guess not. :(

Aww sorry Ben :(

This morning my jawfish looks like his eye exploded! He also has some signs of BSJ Disease. Still eating though, now breathing normally and actually looking more active.

All of my softies seem to have stopped growing since moving everything to the big tank. My LPS and SPS are better than ever. My Favias are just amazing! But all of my zoas, mushrooms and even have GSP have halted in growth. It bums me out so much.

I had a Wrasse once who had Popeye fairly badly, and I fed him thawed out frozen food that had been soaked in this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=23606.

The Popeye went away a week or two after he started eating that.

All of my softies seem to have stopped growing since moving everything to the big tank. My LPS and SPS are better than ever. My Favias are just amazing! But all of my zoas, mushrooms and even have GSP have halted in growth. It bums me out so much.

What's different from that tank to this one?

Have you checked your Mg level? Sometimes Zoas & Palys won't thrive in a tank with lower Magnesium levels.

I'll have to check that out. I've been feeding NLS Thera- A formula along with PE mysis shrimp. He eats great which is good. In my experience once a fish stops eating it's usually toast.

I don't have a Mag test but there is one at work I could use. I dose Kalk but not Mag, maybe that is my problem.

The only difference I can think of between this tank and the old one was I was using LEDs on the old one and now I have T5s. I also have a sump but that should be helping.

Also wanted to point out the name change :)

Also I forgot to mention a while ago that my vet clinic job wasn't a good fit. I have a job now at a LFS and I'm loving it! I can't wait till my discount kicks in ;)

Archived