inTank Media Baskets

The Keep-Downsize Coming

HVani

I hate my sump and love my AIO. Mostly noise. I love how quiet my 8 gallon is.

We are going to be redoing the floors in the living room and I worry about the saltwater. Plus in the past moving tanks has killed just about everything. I like how easy a nano is so I'm going back to my roots. I may end up with a freshwater in the living room once the new floors are in. It's just so much easier.

My next tank will be a downsize too. I'm thinking around 20g. Big tanks are....big :lol:. I really do prefer a nano :).
  • Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My next tank will be a downsize too. I'm thinking around 20g. Big tanks are....big :lol:. I really do prefer a nano :).

Exactly! I find nanos to be way easier.

I got the tank only. I don't need the stand or the light so it wasn't worth getting the whole package. I'm on the fence on the skimmer. I think I will hold off for a few months

jedimasterben

Good to know. I've always managed nanos with water changes but I wasn't sure.

Skimmers do much more than water changes can, even in small tanks.

Skimmers do much more than water changes can, even in small tanks.

+1

I was doing weekly 15% water changes on my 16 gallon and the nitrate was 2.5. Now with a skimmer the nitrate is zero and I change the water every other week.

jedimasterben

At most, a 25% change would lower nitrate by 25%, which would bring it down to ~1.9, which is not exactly a lot. Most people tend not to understand that bit :)

At most, a 25% change would lower nitrate by 25%, which would bring it down to ~1.9, which is not exactly a lot. Most people tend not to understand that bit :)

Is there a good nano skimmer though?

jedimasterben

Is there a good nano skimmer though?

People are pretty happy with the Tunze 9001, but other than that, everything I know is about in-sump skimmers.

I had a 34 G RedSea Max. Stick with the skimmer. Most people liked the Tunze 9001. Honestly I found the stock skimmer to work great providing the water level was constant.

I have the Cacdlights PLS 100, works like a charm,

Archived