Pod Your Reef

The Keep-Downsize Coming

HVani

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a beautiful tube anemone. My purple/black one has flecks like that too and then a green mouth. I have two others, a pink one with a black mouth and an "orange" one that faded to more of a tan color with a green mouth. Its weird because its super healthy but I never have been able to get it to color up. The mouth is still very colorful though.

Sorry to hear about your shrimp! They can definitely be a pain. However, if you ever find yourself wanting a new one, I wouldn't worry about it with the yellow coris wrasse. Not sure about the hawkfish, but I think Live Aquaria overstates the ability of yellow coris wrasses to eat inverts. I've had mine for about a year now with a cleaner shrimp and he's never so much as messed with the shrimp. He's big now too, about 2.5" long and fat, but he still has a tiny mouth. I can't picture him ever being able to eat a decent sized cleaner shrimp. I've even had 2 sexy shrimp for a couple months now and he doesn't bother them at all either. I just keep him well fed and he's very peaceful and doesn't mess with my inverts or anything else.

I was more worried about the hawkfish and the shrimp. But good to hear about some wrasse experience.

The tank is doing well. Some anemones went walking but seem to be ok otherwise. My clownfish are still a little freaked out

Last week I heard from a friend that she was tearing down her tank did I want it? I told her I didn't have a place for a new tank, but I was interested in her pink spotted watchman goby. She said if I could catch him I could have him. Evidently he never came out in her tank, she got him a pistol shrimp but I think it was the wrong kind, not sure on this species.

Anyway I caught him and he's in my tank now. He's been out and about every day since I got him. Though I'm wondering if this is actually a shrimp goby. He seems to be more of a sand sifter. The internet says he's a shrimp goby and I saw one paired up with a shrimp at the LFS but mine only sand sifts. How odd.

Anyway in the previous pictures you can see his cute face :)

Bummer that the rock wall had to come out....but it still looks great!!! Those clarkiis are adorable :).

I kind of feel the same way, but I think in the end it will be better over all.

I also adore my clarkiis ♥ They are really interesting clowns. A bit more active and fun to watch. The female even feeds the anemones. It's cool to watch.

Soo I picked up this today :)

Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture

I've been considering a long tentacle anemone for a while.

Edit:

Well its being stupid and not uploading the photo.

That looks like Heliofungia actiniformis, the long tentacle plate coral judging by the color, polyp shape, and mouth shape. You sure it's an LTA? If it is, it's a beaut, I've never seen one that was that colorful. :)

That looks like Heliofungia actiniformis, the long tentacle plate coral judging by the color, polyp shape, and mouth shape. You sure it's an LTA? If it is, it's a beaut, I've never seen one that was that colorful. :)

That picture does make it look like a plate. It may not be a long tentacle but it is for sure an anemone. It has a bright red foot, it's sticky, and it moves like one.

I put it down in the sand and it moved over 3 inches, buried it's foot and so far is staying there. Last night right before the lights went out it was really opening up. I'm so nervous. I've always kept "easy" anemones with a lot of success. This is my first slightly more difficult species. From what I have read the settling in period is the trickiest then it's home free.

• 2 weeks later...

My male clown has been breathing fast and my wrasse was scratching his gills. I read about flukes in marine fish and treated with prazipeo. The fish all seem much more comfortable, no more fast breathing and no more scratching. The treatment did delay me from setting up my carbon reactor. This did cause some casulties :( I lost all of my rock anemones except one and my bubble tips have been unhappy.

The remaining rock flower anemone is in my 8 gallon. Its put its foot down but may be too far gone.

Anyway the carbon reactor was set up on Thursday and already the bubble tips are looking a lot better. Hopefully with some feeding they will recover.

During this whole time the LTA has been looking awesome. I think it is the one causing the problems. Anyway I moved it slightly and it threw a temper tantrum and pulled its foot out of the sand. I turned the pumps off for a day and it settled down again.

Lastly, this week I picked up several frags and a harlequin shrimp.

I spoke too soon. The LTA is on the move again :( It started moving around last night. This morning it seemed happy enough. Hopefully it stays put. Luckily it's only moving within a 6 inch radius.

Some anemones don't seem to like to cohabitate from what I understand, chemical warfare intensifies (not necessarily allelopathy using chemicals, but also with nematocysts). Some people don't seem to have issues with it, but some do. :/

• 4 weeks later...

Well the LTA had to be removed. It turned into smelly mush. I spoke with the LFS and theirs all did the same thing. Looked perfect then started dying.

I replaced it with a nice welso brain and I'm happy. I need to get updated photos of the stuff I picked up in Chicago.

I got a lovely red/pruple/green welso

A gold torch

An orange/green anemome.

I added them to the tank they ate and everything was happy. I did a water change on Saturday and now things have been looking upset. The torch is fine but the welso has not been as full and the anemone deflated then basically turned itself inside out. I panicked and moved it to the Nuvo 8 and now it's fluffy and happy again.

Not sure what's going on. I turned my skimmer off again and things are looking a little better. Next I will turn off the carbon reactor and see if that helps. I've had some cyano pop up here and there but nothing serious. Just need to figure out my flow.

This tank has been beyond frustrating. Just when things seem fine they are not. I'm looking into downsizing and replacing this tank with a big freshwater cichlid tank.

Not sure. I've been looking into a cadlight 34. Then it would be moved to a different room and I would only keep the fish/corals that I like the most. I'm still thinking about it. Water changes are a huge PITA and the equipment to keep a bigger tank is annoying. I have totally fallen in love with my 8 gallon. It's so simple to take care of and is still very enjoyable.

It seemed like the thing to do.

I think it's been about a month since I had done one and I added new things so I thought a water change might be in order.

My torch is doing GREAT. Hope yours continues to be happy!

Good to hear!

Mine even got knocked over by a hermit crab and it still went on loving life

SO not sure how many are in the WI area but the Milwaukee Aquarium Society is having an event next month. It is a fresh and saltwater even but Matt Pedersen is giving a talk that should be interested. He's the guy with the original Lightening maroon. I will be there all day on Saturday. Should be fun.

http://www.madisonreef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14048

These pictures are way over due. Some go back a month. Anyway enjoy

octoberfull_zps93237dcc.jpg

goby1_zps0026ef53.jpg

goldtorch_zps233fcfd3.jpg

hiding_zps6a7e6994.jpg

horned_zps9e2712ef.jpg

welso_zpsd1b0b0c5.jpg

Also here are a few pictures I took at the field museum in Chicago. I love dinosaurs so that's mostly what I got pictures of :)

zebra_zps19209c33.jpg

sue_zpsf6d9feda.jpg

feathers_zps47d946a6.jpg

dino2_zpsac2a3d59.jpg

dinos_zps27749b3d.jpg

And the Lions of Tsavo! These guys killed a lot of people. The movie The Ghost and the Darkness is based on these 2 lions

lions_zps8255e97e.jpg

tsavo_zpsb80087d2.jpg

Well after talking it over with my husband we have decided to downsize this tank. I'm gonna be ordering a CADlights 34 next payday and the 65 will be coming down. It's bittersweet but I think overall it will work better.

Once I get the new tank a new thread will be made and this one will retire. It's been fun!

why?? but i am glad you are getting the CADLight 34g =). That's on my list of next tank to get so it will be nice to see more members with it. What made you decide on the CADLights 34g and for going from sump to AIO??

I hate my sump and love my AIO. Mostly noise. I love how quiet my 8 gallon is.

We are going to be redoing the floors in the living room and I worry about the saltwater. Plus in the past moving tanks has killed just about everything. I like how easy a nano is so I'm going back to my roots. I may end up with a freshwater in the living room once the new floors are in. It's just so much easier.

Archived