Coral Vue Hydros

The Keep-Downsize Coming

HVani

I went home for lunch and while I was there the wrasse was out and about. I fed the tank and he gobbled up the frozen food and picked at some flake :)

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Legendary Corals

I might be getting a frag tank :ninja:

Ok Husband still has some say in it. But it's looking good right now. I'm considering a nuvo 16. Otherwise I could throw one together with a 15 gallon. For fish I'm also thinking a pair of black clowns :wub:

I know I could put one together myself for cheaper but the nuvo looks so nice. All I really need is the tank and lights. I have just about everything else. If I went with the 15 gallon I would need a couple powerheads.

Is it bad I pretty much have this figured out and haven't even gotten the ok yet? lol

Have you seen the JBJ shallow frag tank? I saw one in person and had no idea it was by JBJ. It was a very sweet tank!

Glad to hear about the potters too. They're one of the most beautiful fish IMO. :)

Ok so my battery died before I got too many pictures. The ones I did get are not great so bear with me.

New Nem

crinklenem_zps6b647154.jpg

The wrasse:) He's so fast and easily spooked,

potter_zpscd757a81.jpg

And this super awesome coral I got in my last Reef Gardener Shipment

crazycoral_zps2f4ccf98.jpg

Sure is a pretty wrasse!!!!! Why is the survival rate so poor? Hard to get them to eat? If that's the case...you are in good shape since yours is already eating for you!!!!

Sure is a pretty wrasse!!!!! Why is the survival rate so poor? Hard to get them to eat? If that's the case...you are in good shape since yours is already eating for you!!!!

You know that's what I've been trying to figure out. According to RC these are the issues with this fish:

Poor shippers, tend to damage their mouth---Doing good here

Don't eat---Not a problem

Don't adjust to aquarium life aka time difference and hide all the time-- Not an issue

Time will tell.

He went to bed last night at 9:30 and got up at 11am. Still doing good and hunting for food :)

I'm thinking about getting a tube anemone and was going to see if you have any advice. I don't plan for my sandbed to be very deep, but I think I remember you used some PVC to hold the anemone in the sand. Also, have you had any issues with it eating any fish or inverts? And how often do you feed it and what do you feed it? Thanks! :)

I'm thinking about getting a tube anemone and was going to see if you have any advice. I don't plan for my sandbed to be very deep, but I think I remember you used some PVC to hold the anemone in the sand. Also, have you had any issues with it eating any fish or inverts? And how often do you feed it and what do you feed it? Thanks! :)

Great choice!! They are super easy IMO. 2 of mine has PVC tubes that they live in. One is just stuck in the rocks and has been doing well, but he's my newest so I can't call it a success yet. They are always open during the day but really spread out at night, give them space! Their sting is powerful and will pretty much kill anything it touches. Because of this I have them over in a corner sort of under a ledge. The fish seem to know to stay away, though I think my orchid dottyback has been stung recently. She has a HUGE wound on her side, but she's still eating and it seems to be healing.

I have had no issues with them eating fish of inverts. My cleaner shrimp likes to live on the edge so he messes with them here and they. I expect one day they will get him. But he's asking for it.

For feeding I read everywhere to feed them silversides but wine just spit them out. Mine will only take things the size of mysids and smaller. Another reason I think their fish eating stereotype is false but who knows. Mine have been angels. I don't even spot feed any more, they grab what they need out of the water column. It's super cool o watch, I should get a video some day. I feed a mix of food everyday and they eat it all: Mysids, ova, flake, pellets, bites of fish ect.

Like I said give them space and they will be fine. They also get along with each other in my experience so you can have a little garden of them :)

Thanks for all the great info! I ended up snatching one up on my local stores ebay auction for only $16.50. Its neon orange with a green mouth and is pretty small, which is good so it won't take up too much space. I'm definitely going to bury it in a PVC pipe the way you did, since my sandbed isn't very deep. I think I'll have a nice ledge in my scape to put it under where it will be shaded and I wouldn't be able to put other corals there anyway because of the lack of light.

I found an interesting article on them where they talk about how the rumors of them eating fish is a myth. Apparently they're naturally filter feeders and eat things much smaller than fish, which is probably why yours won't take silversides. Also, their sting is less potent than a lot of the other common aquarium anemones, so they don't pose any more of a risk to your fish than other nems.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/6/inverts

Hopefully mine will do well like yours! I should get it middle of next week. I gotta go get a piece of PVC before it arrives. What diameter PVC did you use? Also how long is it?

Awesome!

Good luck with him :)

Just an update on the one I had not in PVC. He abandoned his tube today so I had to grab a piece of PVC and get him in the sand bed. So they must prefer the PVC.

• 3 weeks later...
Polarcollision

Used up some credit I had at the LFS, picked up 3 new fish. I got a warpaint clown goby, a hectors goby and a McCoskers wrasse.

It sucks buying new saltwater fish lol. I haven't seen them since I added them to the tank. I also don't expect to see them for another week.

Here are some pretty pictures of these fish I found on the Internet!

McCoskers_flasher_wrasse_male.jpg

I was over on Felicia's thread and saw your comment about your McCosker's. Just wanted to drop by and say 'Hi' and see your fish since I'm suffering from flasher wrasse fever. :-) Cool tank BTW! I've completely missed it somehow, but looking forward to reading through when I'm more awake tomorrow.

Edit: Uh. Oh. I just caught that you lost a wrasse. :-( Sorry to hear that.

Thanks for stopping by :)

I'm still super bummed about the potter's wrasse. Everything has been plugging along though. I'm going to the LFS in Milwaukee this weekend. I hope to find some neat stuff while I"m there

I just wanted to say thanks for the tube nem advice! So far mine is doing well in its PVC house. Have you ever had any of yours lose their color? Mine lost a lot of color in its tentacles during shipping, so the long tentacles are more tan instead of bright orange. The center short tentacles are still neon green. It is always full open and actively grabs food bits when I feed it, and it still has its tube, so I believe its completely healthy. I'm hoping it will color back up over time. Any advice on getting it to color back up?

I haven't had one loose color, sorry. I've bought all mine locally so I can't comment on shipping stress. As long as it's eating well it should get the color back.

IN other news, meet Icarus

Icarus_zps53bc19c0.jpg

I haven't had one loose color, sorry. I've bought all mine locally so I can't comment on shipping stress. As long as it's eating well it should get the color back.

IN other news, meet Icarus

Icarus_zps53bc19c0.jpg

:wub:

We went to Reptile Outpost, which is the largest reptile store in the san fernando valley, today. Of course we checked out the cresties. Didn't buy any though. They didn't have the dalmation I'm looking for :).

Thanks for posting the picture!!!!!

Thanks! I figure its just from shipping and hopefully it will color back up soon. I'll just keep feeding it and letting it do its thing :) What all do you feed yours? I've been feeding mine pellets, but I'll probably start feeding some frozen mysis too.

What a cute little gecko! He's so tiny :)

Thanks! I figure its just from shipping and hopefully it will color back up soon. I'll just keep feeding it and letting it do its thing :) What all do you feed yours? I've been feeding mine pellets, but I'll probably start feeding some frozen mysis too.

What a cute little gecko! He's so tiny :)

Mine get mostly pellets but eat frozen as well. They are not picky and will grab whatever comes around them.

Thanks! I know he's so small. Would you believe he's the biggest juvenile I could find? All the others were way smaller.

Polarcollision

Thanks for he birthday wishes!

neweel2_zps90bf8c2b.jpg

neweel3_zps5e3d69a5.jpg

Please excuse the algae :blush: , just a ugly stage right now. I need to boost my CUC.

This is awesome. Atlantis in an aquarium right here!

So I went to Milwaukee this weekend with a good friend of mine. It was lots of fun! While there we HAD to hit up the local fish stores. I bought 2 fish and a beautiful green speckled bubble tip.

Lately I have had horrible luck with fish, so I have a new superstition. I will not tell anyone what kind of fish I got or post pictures for 5 days. It seems that if my fish live longer than that I am in the clear.

I will give a hint.

One is captive bred, which I tend to have a lot of luck with.

The other is a centerpiece fish that may or may not be a tang B)

Today is day 2! Only 3 to go before the new fish will be revealed and pictures will be posted fingerscrossedfingerscrossedfingerscrossed

Archived