Pod Your Reef

*~* B's 1yr old RSM *~* pics coming soon

SerenityReef

You get large corner soap dishes. Trust me.

Anchor it in the substrate or put in the back chamber or a bucket with a light, bubbler and heat. My stand alone 2.5 g fuge has not even had proper light or a water change in over a month, still growing macros.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm thinking let Audry have her own macro tank so she can start a build thread, she finally got a name! When her Christmas gift gets here hopefully she'll finally start posting...

Everyone meet Ellie! She's our 4 year old Catahoula, and yes she gets called a grey pit all the time.

She has taken to starring at the tank on occasion. Always wants to help if I'm working on it, like last nights ATO install...or at my feet sleeping.

I think I've started an invasion of puppies on this forum. On the other hand, perhaps metro is to blame for that.

Cant wait to see the new macros. If you do end up setting up a new tank, just plumb it into your existing tank if you can. Give your tank benefit and feed her macros at the same time!

Crazy fire sale by a local today!

mC- Montipora Confusa

post-74111-0-81159800-1356569810_thumb.jpg

mC- Fireball Montipora

post-74111-0-55823700-1356569876_thumb.jpg

C- Idaho Grape Montipora

]post-74111-0-29099900-1356569960_thumb.jpg

C- Green Pocilopora

Coming...

F- Napthea Palau

post-74111-0-58282000-1356569995_thumb.jpg

mC- Metallic Green Bali Candycane

post-74111-0-85683400-1356570072_thumb.jpg

New Order! Top Down Portal from Avast! Can't wait for the pictures to come...

RSM Heater Question!

Stock heater does not seem to heat at all, I have had a second heater in the DT since day 2. IF I move the second heater to rear chamber temp still drops! Like 74.5 I found this morning. So my question is has anyone else had issues with the heater in the stock location?

New Order! Top Down Portal from Avast! Can't wait for the pictures to come...RSM Heater Question!Stock heater does not seem to heat at all, I have had a second heater in the DT since day 2. IF I move the second heater to rear chamber temp still drops! Like 74.5 I found this morning. So my question is has anyone else had issues with the heater in the stock location?

I never used the stock heater because people told me it was crap. I have the ebo 150 w in the back "heater" chamber. I have it facing to front so I can see if the light is red or green.

Check...throw stock heater to the pile and order a new one, think the Fluval I have in there right now needs to much flow for the back chamber. Stevie has a Neo-therm on inTank, maybe next order...

Picking up some coral from a local shutting down a tank tonight I overheard I was the last pick up and the mandarin in the tank was going down the drain after I left. With death right around the corner I offered to take the little guy home as an alternative, so...mandarin rescue.

Currently he is in the 10g I had set up for some macro's. It has a shallow sand bed, AC70, heater, and macro's from Jedmasterben, and a Skyye 6500 LED. He has a few hiding spots but not as many as I would like.

I picked up a brine hatchery and some mysis feast, and hoping the macro's have some pods.

Gave him the evening to adjust after drip acclimating and will see if he has any intrest in mysis tomorrow while waiting for the brine to hatch. Figure no reason not to make phyto now since air pump has found a new home (knew I could do something with the skimmer from the BC) so trip to the store tomorrow to air tubing and splitter ect...

So any tips, suggestions, words of wisdom I can get to help keep the mandarin alive is greatly appreciated.

RSM Heater Question!

Stock heater does not seem to heat at all, I have had a second heater in the DT since day 2. IF I move the second heater to rear chamber temp still drops! Like 74.5 I found this morning. So my question is has anyone else had issues with the heater in the stock location

I checked my thread and I do indeed show that the stock heater is not heating as well as it should. I ended up getting a jäger and used the stock RSM heater for my water mix for a while. I'm wary of glass heaters to begin with, in the BC I had a non glass one which I still have and love.

Picking up some coral from a local shutting down a tank tonight I overheard I was the last pick up and the mandarin in the tank was going down the drain after I left. With death right around the corner I offered to take the little guy home as an alternative, so...mandarin rescue.

Currently he is in the 10g I had set up for some macro's. It has a shallow sand bed, AC70, heater, and macro's from Jedmasterben, and a Skyye 6500 LED. He has a few hiding spots but not as many as I would like.

I picked up a brine hatchery and some mysis feast, and hoping the macro's have some pods.

Gave him the evening to adjust after drip acclimating and will see if he has any intrest in mysis tomorrow while waiting for the brine to hatch. Figure no reason not to make phyto now since air pump has found a new home (knew I could do something with the skimmer from the BC) so trip to the store tomorrow to air tubing and splitter ect...

So any tips, suggestions, words of wisdom I can get to help keep the mandarin alive is greatly appreciated.

Okay, just saw this now. Call up the guy you got him from or shoot him an email asking what he fed his mandarin. He might even have some of the food left over so you can start there.

If the mandarin looks like it has been starving then you have some work ahead of you. First and foremost he needs pods while you train him on frozen. Mysis is rather a large sized foods, think about how small pods are. Buy Rotifers or Copepods. live and frozen, till you know he is eating frozen. A phyto culture is useless, you need a pod culture, specifically Tiisbe pods. The pods eat phyto and crushed flake food but the phyto for them need not be live.

Having said that, everybody benefits from live phyto, especially corals so no need to shut it down,it is just that is is not a fish food being that the particles are microscopic. It is pod food.

What did you go with all the pods that reef cleaners sent you?

There are pod culture thread on here as well as training mandarin thread. Both are very helpful.You can get PVC elbows for him to hide in.

Okay, just saw this now. Call up the guy you got him from or shoot him an email asking what he fed his mandarin. He might even have some of the food left over so you can start there.

If the mandarin looks like it has been starving then you have some work ahead of you. First and foremost he needs pods while you train him on frozen. Mysis is rather a large sized foods, think about how small pods are. Buy Rotifers or Copepods. live and frozen, till you know he is eating frozen. A phyto culture is useless, you need a pod culture, specifically Tiisbe pods. The pods eat phyto and crushed flake food but the phyto for them need not be live.

Having said that, everybody benefits from live phyto, especially corals so no need to shut it down,it is just that is is not a fish food being that the particles are microscopic. It is pod food.

What did you go with all the pods that reef cleaners sent you?There are pod culture thread on here as well as training mandarin thread. Both are very helpful.

You can get PVC elbows for him to hide in.

Mandarin looks very plump, I don't think he was starving.

Is Roti feast and Tigger pods good, or should I go with Algen Reefpods, should I pick up pods from Reefs2go? Oceanpods.com?

I have DT for now, growing phyto is only because its an easy set up now with the brine hatchery going, have the tubing just need the split. Also I believe pods are healthier after eating phyto. I'll look into a pod culture this evening.

Pods from reef cleaners went into RSM.

Thanks for the PVC tip.

Any live pods are great, but tisbes (mandarin preferred meal) last longer as tiger pods don't hide and so are easy prey.

A tisbe culture will be ideal if you have time/space only for one type of culture. Pods eat dead phyto without a problem.

If you have spare rubble rock, tie two bunches of it in some netting and leave in the RSM for a week.

At the end of the first week transfer one bunch into the mandarin tank. One week later switch with the other netted bunch.

Pods hide in the rubble during the day when the mandarin is on the hunt and rise in the water column at night.

By having a little portable pod hideout, you are moving live pods into the mandy tank.

I have personally used a plastic bath loofah successfully for this also, weigh the loofa down.

Archived