Cultivated Reef

*~* B's 1yr old RSM *~* pics coming soon

SerenityReef

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not that I'm not a fan of SPS, just not a fan of killing SPS. Watching you revive yours leads me to believe you are a better babysitter!

I'm wondering why you can't keep SPS, your light is too good for LPS and zoas only.

More of a design choice is better put...the Pokerstar has made a beautiful comeback. I'll find a home for it. But not digging on the "branch" corals for this particular tank.I don't know why it is unhappy, but has never been super happy.

Been eyeing a LifeReef LCR-Nano lately.Been having to dose calc, alk, and pH has been low as long as I can remember.

More of a design choice is better put...the Pokerstar has made a beautiful comeback. I'll find a home for it. But not digging on the "branch" corals for this particular tank. I don't know why it is unhappy, but has never been super happy.

That is odd. You don't see growth or you don't see color or polyps? It is possible that in the BC the close proximity of a lot fo different corals had chemical warfare going on which inhibits the corals to be normal. A lot of carbon helps with this but once the threat is removed (in your case moving to the RSM) the corals can still take days to several months to stop their auto response.

The best part about non encrusting corals is how easily they can be moved, pruned, removed. So even when thinking of LPS like favia, keep placement in mind. I was not a fan of SPS but look at me now.

Possible, they always had their own frag rack to get better light and flow, but only since the move have I noticed how small 14 is.

I do see minimal growth, ends starting to split. I have a faint pink during the day and some iridescent green at night, but not the color I believe it should have. I do see the polyps open quite often, the amino acids have been good for them.

Feeding is better than the aminos. Try the pappone method. 2 hours after lights off add some aminos to the tank. Then a few minutes later feed the corals. Most corals feed at night in nature, because the plankton rise in the water column at night. In our aquariums they get re trained to open polyps during the day, but they will enjoy the evening food even more.

Feeding is better than the aminos. Try the pappone method. 2 hours after lights off add some aminos to the tank. Then a few minutes later feed the corals. Most corals feed at night in nature, because the plankton rise in the water column at night. In our aquariums they get re trained to open polyps during the day, but they will enjoy the evening food even more.

Target feed with a Coral Frenzy or Rod's Food?

Thinking about a stunner strip addition to my AI Sol Blue, any suggestions of what to add? Think at one point I will upgrade this to Vega.

Been eyeing a LifeReef LCR-Nano lately .Been having to dose calc, alk, and pH has been low as long as I can remember.

Tank Update:

Tank is exploding with life...good and bad.

Everywhere I look I have serpent starfish, but I also have found several aiptasia...plan to kill the aiptasia this weekend.

Been dosing Chemiclean for a small bit of red slime and bubble algae. Cyano is gone but bubble still hanging around after second dosing.

Feels like these diatoms will never go away. Phosphates are .01 but throwing in some SeaGel after a WC tonight from the Chemiclean.

Have rearranged optics in the AI Sol now in a config that fits my scape. New programming for Apex this weekend! Just feel my color arrangement is off.

40 70 70 40

40 70 70 40

Surface skimmer really has corrected any issues with water flow or levels in filtration vs DT.

Really jumped back into AquaticLog and the reminders are great. Don't like dosing this much so when the LifeReef goes in maybe a calcium reactor or 2 part doser. Personally like the look and results of a calc reactor, but I want to see what differences the sump brings and do my testing then.

Mandarin went into the DT! Eating well and getting alone just fine with Neo. Plenty of pods to eat, loves the brine, actually most of my tank loves the brine. Have AlgaGen sending me pods to restock the DT, collecting everything I need for cultivating as soon as we move.

As for cultivatating...hit the chemistry website and picked up a few items for the phyto, Petco for pod tank parts, add that to the upgrades I've made to the brine hatchery and should be in great shape to cultivate myself away next month. Even getting a micro-fridge to move out of the "people food" fridge.

Frag are mostly tacked down so CUC can no long knock them around. Very happy with how scape is coming together and the macros are starting to make a come back!

Ok hopefully some TS tonight or tomorrow...

beating-head-against-the-wall.gif

Everywhere I look I have serpent starfish, but I also have found several aiptasia...plan to kill the aiptasia this weekend.

That is not normal. Are you sure you don't mean brittle starfish? Where did the stars and aiptasia come from?

Been dosing Chemiclean for a small bit of red slime and bubble algae. Cyano is gone but bubble still hanging around after second dosing.
Feels like these diatoms will never go away. Phosphates are .01 but throwing in some SeaGel after a WC tonight from the Chemiclean.

First of all bubble algae has to be removed, it will not go away with chemicals. You need an emerald crab or to carefully slice the bubble off without bursting it. Unless you are referring to dinoflagellates which is a whole other matter.

The tank is very young, you are seeing only natural and normal reactions in a closed system. My tank is just a year old and I still see diatoms, cyano, dino and everything in between. The quantities are small and sporadic but they are there. I have never done a chemiclean or other treatment and it persists even though I run GFO. Do what you feel is right but don't expect a pristine tank, without a crazy overload of equipment like reactors and scrubbers and ozone. What you have is natural, it may not be pretty and you should absolutely work towards what is a better tank, in your opinion. However give it time is what I am trying to say here.

Mandarin went into the DT! Eating well and getting alone just fine with Neo. Plenty of pods to eat, loves the brine, actually most of my tank loves the brine. Have AlgaGen sending me pods to restock the DT, collecting everything I need for cultivating as soon as we move.

As for cultivatating...hit the chemistry website and picked up a few items for the phyto, Petco for pod tank parts, add that to the upgrades I've made to the brine hatchery and should be in great shape to cultivate myself away next month. Even getting a micro-fridge to move out of the "people food" fridge.

Frag are mostly tacked down so CUC can no long knock them around. Very happy with how scape is coming together and the macros are starting to make a come back!

:happydance:

Fun time with camera

post-74111-0-56719800-1358652202_thumb.jpgpost-74111-0-89345800-1358652257_thumb.jpgpost-74111-0-72311400-1358652309_thumb.jpgpost-74111-0-21981700-1358652342_thumb.jpgpost-74111-0-98119000-1358652363_thumb.jpg

ID Please...good? bad?

post-74111-0-47758100-1358652437_thumb.jpg

Starting packing Audrey up today so I took full advantage to claim anything she didn't want for the tanks...

Nice shelf and towel rack.

post-74111-0-37131300-1358652512_thumb.jpg

Finally got my fish room in order...

post-74111-0-26422500-1358652563_thumb.jpg

Eye Candy to leave with :)

post-74111-0-45703500-1358652624_thumb.jpg

Mandy is starting to show her belly! Definitely out and about more, exploring all about the tank. Added 16 oz of Tisbe pods from AlgaGen mid week just to keep tank stocked.

Still making brine, just a bit less, adding vitamins for a nice tank snack.

Aiptasia has been killed, nothing new showing after a week. Diatoms bloom is finally over.

Made some adjustments to my lighting program, tank seems to responding well. Will be making a few minor changes this weekend and slowly increasing intensity.

Trying to get better at being as honest with my failures as with my successes...ask a few more questions then just research it to death. Though my research will stay friendly advice has its place!

And who knows maybe a noob or two will skim my thread and it will help them!

Archived