Innovative Marine Aquariums

*~* B's 1yr old RSM *~* pics coming soon

SerenityReef

That bonsai tree would look awesome if it came smaller. I would stick some GSP on it and it would look amazing when it got covered.

Definitely bigger then we thought, but Bonsai is my other hobby so it fits. Add in the frag station in and I don't know where to put the LR from the BC :huh:

A Zoa waterfall coming down and GSP at the base was my first thought. :happydance:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not really seeing how this pump upgrade can flow more than the stock pumps ??? :huh:

The stock RSM pumps are 145gph (stock), and these Eheim 600's are 160gph BUT there is a hard 90 at the top of the tubing to make these work. That has to drop the gph a lot. I can see where dropping the pumps down low in the chamber may help with microbubble probs, and perhaps they are quieter, but I cant really see much improvement in flow.

I think the stock pumps can be modded properly for better flow, and with a drop tube to achieve better results IMHO.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=315827

Good luck with the build.

Herbie

:happydance:

14a8a0862b4d907e803c9ab21f828a81.jpg

I don't believe increased flow was the overall goal of the "upgrade." I know the stock pumps aren't bad but Eheim is better. As you pointed out, quiter, mirco bubbles, less starving, and for me personally, found space for the ATO sensor. I won't disagree that the 90 will reduce flow but the slight hire gph should compensate enough for me. Upgrades can be several things, even if its just piece of mind. -_-

I am though still a Big Fan of your stock pump mod and wouldn't discourage anyone on the DIY side from going for it! Mine are moving to utility duty and I still might follow your tips.

I don't believe increased flow was the overall goal of the "upgrade." I know the stock pumps aren't bad but Eheim is better. As you pointed out, quiter, mirco bubbles, less starving, and for me personally, found space for the ATO sensor. I won't disagree that the 90 will reduce flow but the slight hire gph should compensate enough for me. Upgrades can be several things, even if its just piece of mind. -_-

I am though still a Big Fan of your stock pump mod and wouldn't discourage anyone on the DIY side from going for it! Mine are moving to utility duty and I still might follow your tips.

More room in the pump chamber is a cool side benefit I didnt think of. It would be nice to be able to take a few things out of the main compartment in the RSM.

I have a 600 for my salt mix pump, and its a great, durable and reliable little pump. They just run out of steam with ANY head pressure. Wondering if the 1000 would have been a better upgrade for more flow, but they are physically larger, and have a larger output too. Hmmm. The benefits from this pump upgrade kit are worthwhile, but I dont think they really provide more flow ??? :huh:

Are you getting close to getting it wet yet, lol.

I should be in the stages of getting my little RSM wet today ! :D These are great little tanks, and I am having a ball setting mine up.

Good luck, your getting closer.

Herbie

More room in the pump chamber is a cool side benefit I didnt think of. It would be nice to be able to take a few things out of the main compartment in the RSM.

I have a 600 for my salt mix pump, and its a great, durable and reliable little pump. They just run out of steam with ANY head pressure. Wondering if the 1000 would have been a better upgrade for more flow, but they are physically larger, and have a larger output too. Hmmm. The benefits from this pump upgrade kit are worthwhile, but I dont think they really provide more flow ??? :huh:

Are you getting close to getting it wet yet, lol.

I should be in the stages of getting my little RSM wet today ! :D These are great little tanks, and I am having a ball setting mine up.

Good luck, your getting closer.

Herbie

Herbie,

What do you feel the benefit of more flow would be? Do you feel stock was under powered?

For easy math...lets just say I get 280 gph out of the 600's and have 28 gallons of water in the tank. I'm still recycling my tank water 10x an hour, do you feel I need to turn over the tank more than ten times an hour?

For flow in the tank I am depending more on the MP10 (and the second one :D Audrey doesn't know I'm planning on).

I was planning on one of the return outlets getting a Hydor Flo (also flow reducing) and the other one for surface break.

Final trip or two to the store and hopefully she gets wet tomorrow!

Herbie,

What do you feel the benefit of more flow would be? Do you feel stock was under powered?

For easy math...lets just say I get 280 gph out of the 600's and have 28 gallons of water in the tank. I'm still recycling my tank water 10x an hour, do you feel I need to turn over the tank more than ten times an hour?

For flow in the tank I am depending more on the MP10 (and the second one :D Audrey doesn't know I'm planning on).

I was planning on one of the return outlets getting a Hydor Flo (also flow reducing) and the other one for surface break.

Final trip or two to the store and hopefully she gets wet tomorrow!

280 gph of turn over is fine in the 130, but it can handle a little more. 400 or so seems to be nice flow in mine. I dont have any extra powerheads right now though either. Will prob go with a nano stream in the top right corner soon, when I start introducing some sps. My point was that I couldnt see spending the extra money for the pump kit when you really are not getting more flow out of it. I modded my stock pumps for free (well $1. for the drop tube, lol.) and I saw an increase in flow, and no micro-bubbles.My modded pumps seem quiter than the stockers too. The extra room in the pump chamber is nice though with the pump upgrade kit.

MP10's are nice. Is yours quiet? I had an mp 40, and couldnt stand the noise ! it was by far the loudest piece of equipment in my tank . Since I am a little anal about my tanks being silent........It wouldnt work for me.

Hydorflows can be a little loud to. They make a clicking noise while they are running. Sometimes you dont notice it though. Those new Innovative Marine Spin Stream's look pretty cool. I am waiting for some reviews to come in on those.

Got my 130 wet today. Got about 50lbs of Figi Totaka rock in it. I made a nice sloping wall and base foundation, that gave me a lot of area to stick frag plugs and some branch lps. Got the tank circulating now, and hopefully the "haze" will disapate soon, lol. Its bare bottom so it should clear up quick.

Hopefully you will get some water in yours this weekend. Good luck! Cant wait to see how that frag plug rock works out for you.

Herbie

280 gph of turn over is fine in the 130, but it can handle a little more. 400 or so seems to be nice flow in mine. I dont have any extra powerheads right now though either. Will prob go with a nano stream in the top right corner soon, when I start introducing some sps. My point was that I couldnt see spending the extra money for the pump kit when you really are not getting more flow out of it. I modded my stock pumps for free (well $1. for the drop tube, lol.) and I saw an increase in flow, and no micro-bubbles.My modded pumps seem quiter than the stockers too. The extra room in the pump chamber is nice though with the pump upgrade kit.

MP10's are nice. Is yours quiet? I had an mp 40, and couldnt stand the noise ! it was by far the loudest piece of equipment in my tank . Since I am a little anal about my tanks being silent........It wouldnt work for me.

Hydorflows can be a little loud to. They make a clicking noise while they are running. Sometimes you dont notice it though. Those new Innovative Marine Spin Stream's look pretty cool. I am waiting for some reviews to come in on those.

Got my 130 wet today. Got about 50lbs of Figi Totaka rock in it. I made a nice sloping wall and base foundation, that gave me a lot of area to stick frag plugs and some branch lps. Got the tank circulating now, and hopefully the "haze" will disapate soon, lol. Its bare bottom so it should clear up quick.

Hopefully you will get some water in yours this weekend. Good luck! Cant wait to see how that frag plug rock works out for you.

Herbie

I see where you are coming from too! I just wasn't looking for increased flow.

I have to say I am sensitive about noise also. I have never heard a noise out of my Flo, maybe I am just lucky.

For the MP10 it is a trick question. For the BC I have in running at 40 to 50% so the noise is minimal at most. Now if I turn it to 100%, absolutely it is the loudest piece of equipment I own hands down. So the hope is to add a second MP10 as a slave, reef crest mode 65/35%, hopefully keeping noise down.

Congrats on getting her wet!

Plan still is mine will be wet tomorrow, fish stuff already all over the house prepping for the move.

House is a fish tank mess, I love it!

Everything is prepped as best I can tell.

Container for frags

Acclimation box for fish trap

Bucket for live rock

....Check

Fresh RO/DI

Salt water

....Check

More buckets

Pumps

Towels

....Check

One last trip to the store in the am for...

20 lbs Black Sand

Prime

30g's of saltwater

fa75dde581d8d13528aea5225b9f0862.jpg

8bcde2dd811f8f51fbf581c578689d67.jpg

512f4d3aed6ba9686a7b6bc7f1286f9c.jpg

327c7c992d5bf0e80e2cb61f0a431f6a.jpg

72cb3582c2e1120b58df4c3e57a4e3a4.jpg

383c49301fc4675e81793cc9f4508238.jpg

Better pics to come

Temporary homes to say the least, but no losses in the move! :happydance:

A bit of scaping to do yet, but compared to the BC there is SO much room omgomgomg

Trying lidless with the AI for now (yes Kat)

Additional CUC on the way, thinking of adding a lettuce nudiebranch and a porcelain crab (do they require pairs?)

9002 is breaking in, sounds like a tea pot sometimes, is that normal?

MP10 didn't feel like it needed the spacer, anyone advise the opposite?

*what can I paint the back on the mag cleaner with?

AND the news of year!

New apartment management! New apartment in March! So....Lifereef will come online sometime in March!

FINALLY, lol!!!!! Love the bonzai!!!

No need for the spacer on the MP, and it really shouldn't make any noise even on full blast, or maybe just a light humm on 100%. If it makes noise, there is something wrong with it imo.

The 9002 shouldn't make much noise except for the bubbles. I'd recommend the airline tubing mod for it. Allow for a week or two for "break in"

You can paint your mag with any "plastic" paint. I think the trick is to let it dry for at least a week and give it a couple of coarts of marine varnish, or varathane as well.

IMG_0211.jpg

fa75dde581d8d13528aea5225b9f0862.jpg

8bcde2dd811f8f51fbf581c578689d67.jpg

512f4d3aed6ba9686a7b6bc7f1286f9c.jpg

327c7c992d5bf0e80e2cb61f0a431f6a.jpg

72cb3582c2e1120b58df4c3e57a4e3a4.jpg

383c49301fc4675e81793cc9f4508238.jpg

Better pics to come

Temporary homes to say the least, but no losses in the move! :happydance:

A bit of scaping to do yet, but compared to the BC there is SO much room omgomgomg

Trying lidless with the AI for now (yes Kat)

Additional CUC on the way, thinking of adding a lettuce nudiebranch and a porcelain crab (do they require pairs?)

9002 is breaking in, sounds like a tea pot sometimes, is that normal?

MP10 didn't feel like it needed the spacer, anyone advise the opposite?

*what can I paint the back on the mag cleaner with?

AND the news of year!

New apartment management! New apartment in March! So....Lifereef will come online sometime in March!

omgomgomg

I love it. that bonsai tree is rather tall, did you remove the surface skimmer?

The MP10 does not need the spacer, adding the spaces makes it really easy to fall off as the magnet is not as strong.

Lettuce nudi will starve, it is still a young tank.

I have 4 porcelains, they do not need to be paired.

Fish wish list?

Krylon paint. I just used a black magnet cleaner.

Why is it on the floor?! Why are there 6 jugs?

omgomgomg

I love it. that bonsai tree is rather tall, did you remove the surface skimmer?

The MP10 does not need the spacer, adding the spaces makes it really easy to fall off as the magnet is not as strong.

Lettuce nudi will starve, it is still a young tank.

I have 4 porcelains, they do not need to be paired.

Fish wish list?

Krylon paint. I just used a black magnet cleaner.

Why is it on the floor?! Why are there 6 jugs?

Surface skimmer gone, ugly, got in the way, didn't make since.. Bonsai is tall but it works surprising the well with all the different levels. I'll need to shoot a vid so you can see better.

Check!

Check!

Still debating...Bangi Cardinal and Green Mandarin

What black cleaner do you speak of?

That was all the salt water for the tank heating up...

The tree seems tall. Can you make it smaller?

You really need to tweek the blue air valve to the right position. I set it between the the bubble needed and the hissing noise. Water level in the back chambr is crucial.

One spacer off the mp10. Use it at 40%

Bangaiis over mandarin. Need a well established pod population for the mandarin. I highly suggest q tank raised bangaii over wild.

Btw had both fishes in my rsm as well as 9002 and mp10.

FINALLY, lol!!!!! Love the bonzai

No need for the spacer on the MP, and it really shouldn't make any noise even on full blast, or maybe just a light humm on 100%. If it makes noise, there is something wrong with it imo.

The 9002 shouldn't make much noise except for the bubbles. I'd recommend the airline tubing mod for it. Allow for a week or two for "break in"

You can paint your mag with any "plastic" paint. I think the trick is to let it dry for at least a week and give it a couple of coarts of marine varnish, or varathane as well.

I did have to clean the MP10 yesterday, amazing how one grain of sand threw it off.

I will look into the air tube mod, think the breaking in is the cause of the little noises so far. I happen to have that paint around I will have to look into varnish.

The tree seems tall. Can you make it smaller?

You really need to tweek the blue air valve to the right position. I set it between the the bubble needed and the hissing noise. Water level in the back chambr is crucial.

One spacer off the mp10. Use it at 40%

Bangaiis over mandarin. Need a well established pod population for the mandarin. I highly suggest q tank raised bangaii over wild.

Btw had both fishes in my rsm as well as 9002 and mp10.

I could only sink it into the bed more.

Been dialing it in, figure it will change as it breaks in. The water level in back has worked out surprising well with 9002, probes, and ATO.

I have it on Reef Crest 60% during the day and Lagoon 30% at night, Nutrient at 50%.

Bangaii would be first but still a bit away. I have pods coming from John with the CUC but would give awhile for the pods to seed. I agree with tank breed too, hence part of the reason we went with alternative rock over LR.

Good to know I'm on a good track!

GEt a pair of bangaiis if possible, which means they will have to be bigger sized. I like to get babies but you can't do that with Bangaii if you want to pair them. The mandarin should wait for now. Seeding with pods is pointless as those guys eat 10s of thousands of pods a day. The fuge will come very handy to start a good population but if the mandy already eats frozen, that will be a win.

GEt a pair of bangaiis if possible, which means they will have to be bigger sized. I like to get babies but you can't do that with Bangaii if you want to pair them. The mandarin should wait for now. Seeding with pods is pointless as those guys eat 10s of thousands of pods a day. The fuge will come very handy to start a good population but if the mandy already eats frozen, that will be a win.

With all our traveling any fish will have to wait for now...

I have pods coming from John just to seed my tank, were you saying not to seed the tank, it was never intended to be for feeding a mandy?

Also in heater news...anyone have issues with the RSM heater not being enough for the tank? For the second night in a row I have added a heater to the DT to stabilize temps after they dropped to 75 +/-. I can see the heater glowing red when all the lights are out but it can't maintain 78/79 by itself.

So I have a bunch of Marco algea coming and I was debating setting up a temp tank while we decide where to place everything.

Can I take the 10g I have, run an AC70 with floss, heater, Skyye LED 65k and call it good?

Any need for powerhead?

Bare bottom or sand?

Anything I need to dose or feed?

Thanks!

Archived