Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

*~* B's 1yr old RSM *~* pics coming soon

SerenityReef

Thinking about that spray rubber for the inside of the cabinet...

Still like the idea of the sump on a slider, need to find stainless slider I guess.

Got busted by apt so build is on a real hold. They agreed there is nothing in the lease about tanks and will let me keep the BC but I can't get RSM wet till I move out.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Soooo......I hope that means you gave notice today! I wanna see this RSM build!!! :)

+1

Still like the idea of the sump on a slider, need to find stainless slider I guess.

Calculate the volume weight of the water in the sump plus the weight of the sump itself. Then figure out if the sliders you buy can sustain the weight when pulled out and if it could topple the entire tank. The build of the cabinet is not strong enough IMO to withstand opposing pressure and weight - that of the sump pulling the sides forward and that of the tank holding them vertical. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

You might be way better off building a custom cabinet which will not shred with the opposing weights and forces you are contemplating.

also, here is a response from RSM on the hinges:

Hi Kat,

I’m sorry to hear that, but unfortunately the MAX130D was NOT designed to have a bottom sump.

The humidity might damage the hinges, as you discovered, in addition to potential stand damage and expansion due to humidity and salt water damage.

Any aftermarket updates\upgrades are at the customer’s risk and would void the 1 year product warranty.

It’s a great tank if operated according to our recommendations.

Keeping the interior of the cabinet well ventilated can help reducing the harmful effects.

All the best,

• 2 weeks later...
SerenityReef

Breaking News!

Decided one tank is one tank, apartment won't ever know the difference.

So after a Sunday at MACNA BC is full, inspiration is high, and the new girl is into tanks so a fun joint project.

Staying Sumpless for now, going StevieT rack and 9002 with Stevie Cup, stock pumps, heater and lighting for now (sorry Kat).

MP10w and Apex will move over, eventually adding Radion Pro (looked very nice at MACNA) after lid mod (TBD).

Stocking with MACNA finds: Real Reef Rock (20lbs) & Alternative Reef Frag Station (med).

Breaking News!

Decided one tank is one tank, apartment won't ever know the difference.

So after a Sunday at MACNA BC is full, inspiration is high, and the new girl is into tanks so a fun joint project.

Staying Sumpless for now, going StevieT rack and 9002 with Stevie Cup, stock pumps, heater and lighting for now (sorry Kat).

MP10w and Apex will move over, eventually adding Radion Pro (looked very nice at MACNA) after lid mod (TBD).

Stocking with MACNA finds: Real Reef Rock (20lbs) & Alternative Reef Frag Station (med).

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

Brian, if you don't update with pictures there will be hell to pay!

and the new girl is into tanks so a fun joint project.

:wub:

I see joint shopping spree's in your future.... :lol:

SerenityReef
omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

Brian, if you don't update with pictures there will be hell to pay!

:wub:

I see joint shopping spree's in your future.... :lol:

Posted....

and MACNA was our first shopping spree... B)

• 1 month later...

So this is now my December project...

The question now, how.

Staying with the above, stock lights, 9002, Sumpless.

After some advice from Kat I have been exploring Aquaroche over Real Reef Rock. I LOVE the pillar and shelf options, only trick is getting it in the US, Aquarium Specialty cares it, but is out of stock on what I want and not currently planning to order more.

Anyone know of other pillar options?

The plan is for all alternative rock and Carib Sea aragonite. Is Dr. Tim's the suggested cycle starter? The plan is to move everything from the BC to the RSM. With no additional LR being added, many suggestions or warnings I need to pay special attention to?

Just set it up and seed it with some rock and sand from the BC. Try your hand at building a rock sculpture from some dry rock, that way you can build it exactly how you want it. I seeded my tank from some dry rock I put put in my LFS's reef tank and then I added some live sand from the same tank.

• 2 weeks later...
Dry Rock...check

InTank pump upgrade...check

CaribSea...check

ATO ordered...check

Build back on track...

Well.....it's about time! :)

Kat, check out Stevie's site, those new pumps looks nice! I think I'm gonna get me a pair! Although your pumps are probably still better.

Well.....it's about time! :)

Kat, check out Stevie's site, those new pumps looks nice! I think I'm gonna get me a pair! Although your pumps are probably still better.

Already have them, those were my upgrade months ago.

Dry Rock...check

InTank pump upgrade...check

CaribSea...check

ATO ordered...check

Build back on track...

Jack Daniels for when the bill comes...check?

I like trying things out for StevieT! Plus now I have back-up pumps if anything ever happens and my mods are done before she's wet.

Things start to arrive next week, Audrey wants to be around for the build so we will get going next weekend when she is back in town.

Still cautious about the move, so a week of reading for me.

Jack Daniels for when the bill comes...check?

My family has enough stuff, they don't need presents this year... :D

But the Maker's is close at hand.

Ping me for any help you may need, I did it exactly a year ago. :)

:happydance:

So decided on a Bonsai Structure from Aqua Tecture and a frag station too! Love the idea of natural, reef safe structure made right at home for the tank.

e032368ba3f37944df38ed7618f32b90.jpg

Learned I wanted an uncluttered sand bed from the BC so the hope is the frag station will fit the theme and hold new plugs off of sand bed.

d6d2a576c9e6c20aecea577b189aa665.jpg

Archived