ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

Coral Feeding:

Borneman, Eric. 2003. "The Food of Reefs, Part 7: Dissolved Nutrients" Reefkeeping Online Magazine, April 2003.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/eb/index.htm

Borneman, Eric. 2003. "The Food of Reefs, Part 6: Particulate Organic Matter" ReefKeeping Online Magazine, March 2003.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/eb/index.htm

Borneman, Eric. 2003. "The Food of Reefs, Part 5: Bacteria" Reefkeeping Online Magazine, January 2003.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/eb/index.htm

Borneman, Eric. 2002. "The Food of Reefs, Part 4: Zooplankton" Reefkeeping Online Magazine, December, 2002.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/eb/index.htm

Borneman, Eric. 2002. "The Food of Reefs, Part 3: Phytoplankton" Reefkeeping Online Magazine, October 2002.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/eb/index.htm

Borneman, Eric. 2002. "From the Food of Reefs to the Food of Corals." Reefkeeping Online Magazine, August 2002.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-08/eb/index.htm

Borneman, Eric. 2002. "Reef Food." Reefkeeping Online Magazine, July 2002.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/eb/index.htm

eitallent

Hello, Albert and all.

I am popping in to share my new lovely fish, the Yellowhead Jawfish aka Pearly Jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons). What an elegant beauty!

Here is a picture of the Jawfish in front of its burrow with its neighbors the Blue Reef Chromis hovering above.

125g04292013_zps69469448.jpg

Here it is on this short video eating baby brine shrimp. The way it swims is truly wonderful to watch. At the one minute mark it grabs a mouthful of sand for no apparent reason and spits it out. IDK? :lol:

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hello, Albert and all.

I am popping in to share my new lovely fish, the Yellowhead Jawfish aka Pearly Jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons). What an elegant beauty!

Here is a picture of the Jawfish in front of its burrow with its neighbors the Blue Reef Chromis hovering above.

Here it is on this short video eating baby brine shrimp. The way it swims is truly wonderful to watch. At the one minute mark it grabs a mouthful of sand for no apparent reason and spits it out. IDK? :lol:

Thanks eitallent for posting that Video and indeed the Pearly Jawfish and other ones are great ones to have in one's aquarium. I have a section on them in my new book, as you have probably seen, and it is hard sometimes to decide which one to get as they all are so appealing.

I personally like the one you have but also the Blue Spotted one, O. rosenblatti and of course the interesting part is that if you have a breeding pair, it is the Male who broods the offsprings in his mouth ... (pic in the book) ... They are great fish .. but as you know jumpers !

Great Vid... Thanks for posting it ... And "pop in" any time. I'll post the Vid to my Nano-Reef Aquariums FB group for others to see ... (anyone can join that group btw) ...

Albert

• Like 1
eitallent

Thanks eitallent for posting that Video and indeed the Pearly Jawfish and other ones are great ones to have in one's aquarium. I have a section on them in my new book, as you have probably seen, and it is hard sometimes to decide which one to get as they all are so appealing.

I personally like the one you have but also the Blue Spotted one, O. rosenblatti and of course the interesting part is that if you have a breeding pair, it is the Male who broods the offsprings in his mouth ... (pic in the book) ... They are great fish .. but as you know jumpers !

Great Vid... Thanks for posting it ... And "pop in" any time. I'll post the Vid to my Nano-Reef Aquariums FB group for others to see ... (anyone can join that group btw) ...

Albert

Thank you, Albert.

The BSJ is visually stunning. I am keeping a Caribbean tank so the Yellowhead is the jawfish that fits in that biotope. I have noticed that these fish can swim lightening fast. I have a tight fitting canopy. This fish has not ventured far from its burrow. I wish it were more visible but it only comes out of the burrow to eat.

Thanks for allowing me to share my picture and post. I am glad you are posting this on the FB group as well. :happy:

• Like 1
albertthiel

Thank you, Albert.

The BSJ is visually stunning. I am keeping a Caribbean tank so the Yellowhead is the jawfish that fits in that biotope. I have noticed that these fish can swim lightening fast. I have a tight fitting canopy. This fish has not ventured far from its burrow. I wish it were more visible but it only comes out of the burrow to eat.

Thanks for allowing me to share my picture and post. I am glad you are posting this on the FB group as well. :happy:

True that would be the one ... and that is indeed the behavior but as it gets more accustomed to the tank it may come out more than initially ... at least based on my experience with them when I used to keep them years ago.

They are such great fish ... and btw the vid is now on my FB page and also on the FB Group (anyone can join) via https://www.facebook.com/groups/506231769438839/

yellowh.png

Great addition, even to a Nano but not too small a Nano ... 30 G suggested, although some keep them in 20's but with few other fish in them.

Albert

• Like 2

When I get a Jawfish, to save time I just open the bag and throw them on the floor as that's where they end up in a couple of days anyway.

• Like 2
albertthiel

When I get a Jawfish, to save time I just open the bag and throw them on the floor as that's where they end up in a couple of days anyway.

One of these days Paul I am sure you will end up putting netting over the tank so you do not have to loose those jumpers.

I posted some links to resellers of what seems to be a good type of netting earlier ... maybe page or two back by now though.

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Albert, I just don't buy jumpers any more. There is to much hardware sticking out of my tank to add a net.

Yes I kind of thought so in which case not getting any as you say is best indeed. Mind you Euro-style ledges is another possibility but not sure whether you can install those. Pity as some of those jumpers are really great looking fish ... Oh well, there are plenty of other choices and you already have quite a nice selection of fish in your tank anyway,

Albert

albertthiel

Help, I think my copperband butterfly laid an egg but I don't know how to take care of it.

2013-05-01140340_zps5f7fdc71.jpg

Help, I think my copperband butterfly laid an egg but I don't know how to take care of it.

Wow ... you better start looking for that "Ostrich" in your Tank Paul ... Get it out and it is going to make "some" omelet for you and you can add calamari to that and that will be THE meal of the year !

Albert

• Like 1

I have often pondered as to why some fish in particular jump from aquariums. Of course some are chased by bully fish and jump but I am far from convinced this is the main reason. From the many of the reports I have read from people who have lost fish myself included it seems most fish jump at night in total or near total darkness.

Just about all but a few of the reef fish we keep sleep at night and when I have peered into my tanks during the hours of darkness I have been hard pressed to see any clown fish being an exception as they nestle in their nem. Do jaw fish for instance jump on the reef at night? They may well do I don't know and of course the distance from the substrate to the reef surface may well be a lot further.

Residual current in the aquarium is another reason often given for fish jumping out of the aquarium and I think there may well be some truth in this. However i don't buy the often given reason of fish bullying during the dark hours. I wonder if any research has ever been done into why fish in our aquariums try to escape? The simple reason of one fish chasing another during darkness until the chased fish leaps to get away is not one I subscribe to and I remain to be convinced.

Your views or any research you can point me to please.

Les.

Yes I kind of thought so in which case not getting any as you say is best indeed. Mind you Euro-style ledges is another possibility but not sure whether you can install those. Pity as some of those jumpers are really great looking fish ... Oh well, there are plenty of other choices and you already have quite a nice selection of fish in your tank anyway,

Albert

• Like 2

I have often pondered as to why some fish in particular jump from aquariums. Of course some are chased by bully fish and jump but I am far from convinced this is the main reason. From the many of the reports I have read from people who have lost fish myself included it seems most fish jump at night in total or near total darkness.

Just about all but a few of the reef fish we keep sleep at night and when I have peered into my tanks during the hours of darkness I have been hard pressed to see any clown fish being an exception as they nestle in their nem. Do jaw fish for instance jump on the reef at night? They may well do I don't know and of course the distance from the substrate to the reef surface may well be a lot further.

Residual current in the aquarium is another reason often given for fish jumping out of the aquarium and I think there may well be some truth in this. However i don't buy the often given reason of fish bullying during the dark hours. I wonder if any research has ever been done into why fish in our aquariums try to escape? The simple reason of one fish chasing another during darkness until the chased fish leaps to get away is not one I subscribe to and I remain to be convinced.

Les.

Fish do sleep, but not like us. On my many night dives in total darkness I often startle fish, sometimes large blackfish that are just laying on the bottom against a rock. They take off and sometimes crash into things. A couple of times they crashed into my head knocking off my mask. If these fish were in a tank, they would jump out. I am sure when fish are sleeping on the bottom they get startled by hermit crabs, bristle worms, night feeding fish or just noises outside. It is very noisy in a tank as the sound has 4 sides to reverberate off.

• Like 2

Thanks Paul,

Now I have never seen any of my fish asleep on the bottom most disappear into the reefwork. OK many wrasse dive into the substrate at night which is the wrong direction if they are looking to carpet surf. Seems to me its mainly large fish that will sleep on the bottom and so large they could knock your mask off if they hit it while startled.

I have never kept any fish in my reef tanks that would attain such a size. I have kept larger fish in a fish only system but never lost any via jumping, just lucky I guess. I am mainly talking about the fish wee keep that stay small but are known jumpers.It does appear some fish are more prone to jumping in our aquariums and it is these fish I ponder the question about more than any other.

Fish do sleep, but not like us. On my many night dives in total darkness I often startle fish, sometimes large blackfish that are just laying on the bottom against a rock. They take off and sometimes crash into things. A couple of times they crashed into my head knocking off my mask. If these fish were in a tank, they would jump out. I am sure when fish are sleeping on the bottom they get startled by hermit crabs, bristle worms, night feeding fish or just noises outside. It is very noisy in a tank as the sound has 4 sides to reverberate off.

• Like 1
andi.rahl
CUC's : Essential Cleaners for the Reef Tank

With some reservations on the Sea Apple ... and other CUC's that are sold but should be avoided, including IMO Hermit Crabs, as they are IME too unpredictable

© Practical Fishkeeping

Link :

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4387'>http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4387

Albert

Speaking of hermit crabs, my second has reappeared. I thought he died, to be honest, but turns out I was wrong. So he'll be off to a lfs sometime soon. I like my peaceful, slow moving snails...hah

• Like 2
albertthiel

Les.

Les ... having been in the hobby for as long as you have, you are aware I am sure that this is one of those 64K dollar questions .. but your points above are well taken and I do agree with you that the reasons why some fish are jumpers and why others are not, and why some jump at all is a debate that has been going on for decades ... I do not know of any authoritative research that has been done as IMO it would be way too difficult to set up the circumstances that may lead to jumping and then determine whether a particular fish will actually do so.

There are so many possibilities, some of which you mention, and others that no one may even know about that cause the jump.

Odd too as you say that fish that are typically bottom dwellers would jump out of the tank as they would have to suddenly exhibit totally different behavior and instead of remaining in the lower parts of the tank, they would have to move to the top and then take the extra step of actually "jumping"

So do I have an answer ... I am afraid not. All I can go by is experience about fish that are known jumpers, and some instances where aggression may lead some fish to actually take the leap (pun intended).

So I did a little searching on the Net for articles, or sites, that discuss it and I would refer you to this link where you will find a lot of URL's that you can go to (but then I am sure you have already done so).

Check this link ... http://tinyurl.com/d2mdoun

Not sure it will be of much help in actually determining the causes though, as there are as many opinions as there are hobbyists who have had the issue and have written about it, or have asked others the question.

And of course what complicates figuring it out even more is that it happens not only in Nanos but also in large tanks ... so the issue IMO remains unexplained ...

Maybe others have some input ?

Albert

• Like 1
eitallent

Speaking of clean up I just got two of these guys acclimated and in the tank.

Strombus alatus, Forida Fighting Conch

From reefcleaners.org:

They are an excellent cleaner, and substrate stirrer. They will consume hair algae, film algae, detritus, and many cyano species as well.

Our largest reef safe snail, the word "fighting" doesn't refer to its temperament, but rather the notch on the front of their shell which resembles a gladiator's helmet. They reach a size of 4-5 inches long, and 3 inches high and can eat a large amount of algae. Because of their size we do not recommend them unless you have a tank 50 gallons or larger. However, you should know they live almost entirely in the sand, so if your substrate is almost entirely covered with rock you will need a larger tank than what is recommended. If you don't have a sand bed, you should refrain from getting this species in your tank.

IMG_0002_zps84e810d9.jpg

• Like 3